An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fargo Dioc. requires Natural Family Planning ....

AxFactor

LD and Cam are right though. It can be equally sinful to use NFP for contraceptive reasons as opposed to birth control, if not more so because there's a huge perversion of something good.

Definitely as evil an act.

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 17 2005, 01:03 PM']Even if they choose not to use it, they have been taught it. If they then ignor Catholic teaching the sin is theirs alone.
Ignorance will be no excuse.
[right][snapback]687783[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I was responding to this, in which you responded to HSMom who was defending LD when they were saying some people shouldn't use it. I was merely clarifying that they were referring to not using anything at all, there is no sin in what was being described as not using it.

I knew you agreed, I was merely clarifying the other side to you, because that quote seemed to indicate you misunderstood them.

It always seemed to me that NFP was basically just a way to not get pregnant. That's how most people talk about it on here anyway. Which is why I think it is so misunderstood and why so many people my age use regular bith control as opposed to NFP. From the really hard core Catholic reading I've done NFP is there so you can get pregnant, so you and your significant other can know when the right time is, but on the phorum and among other Catholics it shounds like you use it so you don't have sex on that one day that will concieve.

I think this is wonderful. If these people are going to classes, than they are learning what is the right way to use NFP. They will learn that it is not contraception and not to be used just for selfish reasons.

It is likely that in most marriages there will be a time when a husband and wife feel they cannot have a child for totally legit reasons, and knowing how to use NFP can help them.

I wish my diocese required this!

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='track2004' date='Aug 17 2005, 02:14 PM']It always seemed to me that NFP was basically just a way to not get pregnant.  That's how most people talk about it on here anyway.  Which is why I think it is so misunderstood and why so many people my age use regular bith control as opposed to NFP.  From the really hard core Catholic reading I've done NFP is there so you can get pregnant, so you and your significant other can know when the right time is, but on the phorum and among other Catholics it shounds like you use it so you don't have sex on that one day that will concieve.
[right][snapback]687879[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, the Church teaches that there are circumstances in which it would be imprudent and unwise for a couple to have a child and that the couple should abstain from sex as not to conceive. But the unitive aspect of marriage is essential therefore it is a good thing, under such circumstances, that a couple still has sex. NFP provides the means of identifying fertile times so that the marital covenant can be renewed, and conjugal love still expressed in that way, even under circumstances in which a couple ought not have a child.

But the vocation of marriage is inseperable from children and family. And openness to life is essential to this calling. Therefore proper use of NFP is not the same as the contraceptive mentality, which seeks to divorce sex from it's procreative dimension. NFP respects the procreative dimension, and enables couples to continue in the married state even if circumstances require that they not have children at that time for legitimate reasons.. Such as health concerns, perhaps poverty... the reasons are not spelled out dogmatically, it is up to the discernment of the couple. But the test is whether you are still open to life in the capacity to which you have been called through this Sacrament. NFP is not sterilized sex, it is prudent abstinence for the greater good of the family.

I hope this makes sense.

I am not comfortable with it for two reasons. One I see it as Birth Control.

Two the word REQUIRED makes me nervous. When i was in the Army MANDATORY OR REQUIRED made sense that was part of the life.

I am a civilian now and I am not doing a whole lot of REQUIRED.

If they get away with this I wonder what is next?
SCARY.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:20 PM']I am not comfortable with it for two reasons. One I see it as Birth Control. 

Two the word REQUIRED makes me nervous.  When i was in the Army MANDATORY OR REQUIRED made sense that was part of the life.

I am a civilian now and I am not doing a whole lot of REQUIRED.

If they get away with this I wonder what is next?
SCARY.
[right][snapback]688184[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Diocese marriage preparation courses always require certain classes and other requirements, so the fact that these classes are required is nothing alarming.
(Note: it is not saying that it is required that couples practice NFP, only that they learn about it - I think this is certainly better than couples believing the only effective options are pills and condoms.)

And NFP is NOT contraception. Contraception involves sexual intercourse while doing something to prevent conception. NFP only involves abstaining from intercourse at particular times.
"Birth control" and "contraception" are NOT synonomous.

catholicflower

To add my 2 cents..I think it is just mandatory to learn it, not to practice it. It is a good skill to know. If the time comes when a couple needs to use NFP for a valid reason, of what i know if NFP, you cant just start in one day. It has to be learned and tracked. Would it not be the most prudent to teach the couple to know how to use before they need it? Thats just my humble opinion. :D:

Thy Geekdom Come

I'm glad to see that, given so many misunderstandings and such enslaving "liberties" such as contraception being taken.

I just hope that they teach it properly.

I am pretty sure Chicago diocese has required NFP classes for a while, though, when I got married all we had to do was a day-long on... er, relationships or something.

I recall spending the class mentally comparing engagement rings with the other girls. :rolleyes: :blush:

Hey, I'm still married. :P:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='philothea' date='Aug 17 2005, 09:11 PM']I am pretty sure Chicago diocese has required NFP classes for a while, though, when I got married all we had to do was a day-long on... er, relationships or something. 

I recall spending the class mentally comparing engagement rings with the other girls.  :rolleyes: :blush:

Hey, I'm still married. :P:
[right][snapback]688333[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: Wow, girls have nothing better to do than compare engagement rings?

I think it's great that NFP classes are required. Granted, it must be taught correctly, as family planning and NOT contraception (and preferably with some theology of the body as well!). To say things shouldn't be taught because they might be taught wrong just doesn't make sense to me....Does that mean we should give up on CCD??? :idontknow:

[quote name='Raphael' date='Aug 17 2005, 09:07 PM']:lol: Wow, girls have nothing better to do than compare engagement rings?
[right][snapback]688382[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What can I say? I was young and vain, and it was a very boring class!

I have changed a lot since then, I hope. :disguise: