An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fargo Dioc. requires Natural Family Planning ....

AxFactor

The Fargo Diocese is now the 2nd diocese to require Natural Family Planning in order to receive the sacrament of marraige. I'm glad to see that this is required as to help with family planning,

Laudate_Dominum

The problem is that a lot of people seem to think NFP is Catholic birth control.

I was looking at the information at this NFP stand at the parish I went to for Sunday Mass and it never explained the morally licit use of NFP. It seems crucial to me that married couples understand the nature of Christian marriage and specifically why artificial contraception is morally illicit. Only when this is truly grasped does it make sense to approach the topic of NFP. And requiring NFP training seems to be saying that NFP is normal, or that it's just something all couples do. I think it should be something extraordinary.

I can certainly understand teaching the morality of it, and the theory behind it etc.. but actually requiring training in how to use it seems excessive. This is America not the slums of Calcutta.

but training how to use it is important since there are different methods of NFP (cycle beads, temperature, etc) and couples should be able to choose a method that's right for them and also to know how to figure out the fertile days. Maybe the parish doesn't have to teach the actual class but they should at least give a reference to an NFP class or give reference to a doctor who is NFP only and knows how to teach it or w/e

Laudate_Dominum

Yeah, I said it's cool to explain what it is in general and have classes that teach it. But making the classes a strict requirement seems to suggest that everyone should be using it. I don't think it's something that should be promoted like that. At least not in America. I know Mother Teresa promoted it among the poorest of the poor, but that's different.

What is more important in my mind, is to teach the moral principles behind it in light of a Catholic anthropology and the Catholic worldview in general. To just teach the method and pass over or give a superficial account of the moral context is basically to promote Catholic birth control. The contraceptive mentality is what we are fighting even more than the pill or the condom in themselves.

Laudate_Dominum

But I'm not questioning the pastoral decision of that Bishop. I imagine this may be the best thing under the circumstances. And I don't know anything about the specifics of the training programs in the diocese. I'm just saying that it's important to remember that NFP can be abused and that this should not be overlooked in classes.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:10 AM']Yeah, I said it's cool to explain what it is in general and have classes that teach it. But making the classes a strict requirement seems to suggest that everyone should be using it. I don't think it's something that should be promoted like that. At least not in America. I know Mother Teresa promoted it among the poorest of the poor, but that's different.

What is more important in my mind, is to teach the moral principles behind it in light of a Catholic anthropology and the Catholic worldview in general. To just teach the method and pass over or give a superficial account of the moral context is basically to promote Catholic birth control. The contraceptive mentality is what we are fighting even more than the pill or the condom in themselves.
[right][snapback]687602[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Everyone should be using it - as opposed to condoms, patches and pills.
This is the one opportunity you get to sit with a couple before they are married, so this is an excellent teachable moment.
I applaude the bishops who require it -all dioceses should be so lucky.!!!!!!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 17 2005, 11:52 AM']Everyone should be using it  - as opposed to condoms, patches and pills.
This is the one opportunity you get to sit with a couple before they are married, so this is an excellent teachable moment.
I applaude the bishops who require it -all dioceses should be so lucky.!!!!!!
[right][snapback]687770[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm thinking that L_D thinks that there are many couples who wouldn't even use NFP (let alone ABC) and why should they have to take the class... Is that your point, L_D?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Aug 17 2005, 12:58 PM']I'm thinking that L_D thinks that there are many couples who wouldn't even use NFP (let alone ABC) and why should they have to take the class... Is that your point, L_D?
[right][snapback]687778[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Even if they choose not to use it, they have been taught it. If they then ignor Catholic teaching the sin is theirs alone.
Ignorance will be no excuse.

it's not a sin to use NOTHING, not NFP or birth control at all

in fact, you're only supposed to use NFP with some legitimate reason, be it financial or health or whatever.

anyway, I suppose this is good. though if a couple just didn't want to do anything then they shouldn't be required to take the course. couples should be required to learn why artifical contraception is absolutely immoral and then be taught when where and how NFP can be morally licit.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:10 AM']Yeah, I said it's cool to explain what it is in general and have classes that teach it. But making the classes a strict requirement seems to suggest that everyone should be using it. I don't think it's something that should be promoted like that. At least not in America. I know Mother Teresa promoted it among the poorest of the poor, but that's different.

[right][snapback]687602[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I completely agree with you.....here is something I posted a while back that supports you completely.....

[quote]Natural Family Planning is not, I repeat not contraception.

It is responsible conception. What is the purpose of NFP? Achievement of pregnancy by understanding the fertility cycle better and learning when the probability of concieving is highest. Then engaging in the sexual act at that time.

Remember, having sex is not a right, it is a privelege. Even those who are married are called to chasitity. Part of this is continence. There are times within the marriage, in which the sexual act is not appropriate.

NFP, optimizes the sexual action. It does not prevent the sexual union but sacntifies it.

Remember the threefold meaning of the sexual action.

1. Sacramental
2. Unitive
3. Procreative

Does NFP contradict any of these things? No. Does contraception contradict any of these things? Yes.

Can NFP be used inappropriately? Yep. It can be used as contraception, in order to avoid pregnancy. This mindset is not in keeping with Catholic teaching. The Catholic mindset of NFP is as stated above. It is not to avoid pregnancy, but rather to promote, through proper chastity, the conception and birth of a child.[/quote]

I think that it should be taught everywhere, as long as it's taught correctly. I think that if the Church universally promotes NFP and the biology from which it stems, then NFP will become more generally known and accepted as a viable option. It will also continue to show that the Church is not anti-science.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 17 2005, 01:33 PM']it's not a sin to use NOTHING, not NFP or birth control at all

in fact, you're only supposed to use NFP with some legitimate reason, be it financial or health or whatever.

anyway, I suppose this is good.  though if a couple just didn't want to do anything then they shouldn't be required to take the course.  couples should be required to learn why artifical contraception is absolutely immoral and then be taught when where and how NFP can be morally licit.
[right][snapback]687796[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Did you read my whole line?
"Everyone should be using it - as opposed to condoms, patches and pills"