An Old School Catholic Message Board

devils remorse ?

Guest JeffCR07

Lucifer as a proper name does not refer exclusively to Satan, or the Devil, as it simply means "Light-Bearer." However, the name has been attributed to Satan as he was the greatest of all created angels, and, in common usage, "Lucifer" and "Satan" are one.

Also, the fall of the angels in Heaven predates the creation of mankind, and therefore did not occur on account of humanity. Rather, Satan and all the fallen angels made and independent choice to cast aside their will-for-justice in favor of exclusively a will-for-pleasure.

In Christ,

Jeff

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Sep 2 2005, 06:47 PM']Lucifer as a proper name does not refer exclusively to Satan, or the Devil, as it simply means "Light-Bearer." However, the name has been attributed to Satan as he was the greatest of all created angels, and, in common usage, "Lucifer" and "Satan" are one.

Also, the fall of the angels in Heaven predates the creation of mankind, and therefore did not occur on account of humanity. Rather, Satan and all the fallen angels made and independent choice to cast aside their will-for-justice in favor of exclusively a will-for-pleasure.

In Christ,

Jeff
[right][snapback]709080[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The exact reason or reasons for the angel's rebellion is not exactly known, but is in the realm of speculation. While it was before the creation of man, the angels could have very well been given knowledge of God's plan for humanity. It is often speculated that the rebellion was based on knowledge of the Incarnation, the prideful angels refusing to worship a "lower" creature.

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Socrates' date='Sep 2 2005, 07:11 PM']The exact reason or reasons for the angel's rebellion is not exactly known, but is in the realm of speculation.  While it was before the creation of man, the angels could have very well been given knowledge of God's plan for humanity.  It is often speculated that the rebellion was based on knowledge of the Incarnation, the prideful angels refusing to worship a "lower" creature.
[right][snapback]709099[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Socrates, do you have any writings of any Saints/etc which explain the Fall in this way? While I have heard it said that the Fall occurred on account of pride, I have only heard of it in the context of a desire to be like, or equal to, God. I have never heard of any discussion which accounts for the Fall by claiming specifically that it was the Incarnation that was rejected by the angels.

I tend to like Anselm's explaination much more than Aquinas', but I would be very interested to read a different explaination such as the one you have found.

In Christ,

Jeff

[quote name='Socrates' date='Sep 2 2005, 07:11 PM']The exact reason or reasons for the angel's rebellion is not exactly known........[right][snapback]709099[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i heard it was because Jesus was so incredibly good looking :smokey:

[quote name='Delivery Boy' date='Aug 16 2005, 02:09 PM']This is probally in the wrong phorum, considering i think i know the answer to the question and there really isnt much to debate. Although im pretty stupid........So does the devil have any remorse at all ?  Satan is fully aware that he is going to hell and that hell is the worst place to ever be right ?
Does he ever have feelings of regret and the desire at all to want to repent........Now I know its irrelevent since he cant repent and is destined to burn forever but does he still have any thoughts of what a life with God could be like ??    Or does the devil desire to be in hell thinking that hell will be a heaven of sorts for him, since he desires everything that God is agaisnt..........I roll my eyez at him becuz I know that burning forever in a lake can not be desired by anyone but let him have his crazy ideas i guess....

And did satan know from the very begging that he would go to hell ??
Did God create him knowing this ??
[right][snapback]686771[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

u r not dumb

[quote name='oakleyswitch' date='Sep 5 2005, 01:18 AM']u r not dumb
[right][snapback]711477[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

haha thanks
at least somebody doesnt think so