An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I cut my hair?

zabbazooey

Should I cut my hair to prepare to possibly enter the convent?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

memory-singer

[size=3][color=#3333FF]

I was talking with Mother Mary Anne (Prioress at St. Emma) on Saturday about being a bridesmaid in my college roomate's wedding this week. I feel a little strange as I haven't dated in two years and being in the wedding party means 3 days of partying/dancing etc. I was concerned about the dancing as the dress is low cut (not my choice) in the back.. MOTHER SUGGESTED THAT AS MY HAIR IS LONG, I WEAR IT DOWN SO MY BACK IS COVERED. :clapping:

BET YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS OFF TOPIC :blowkiss: NOT

Love and prayers,

Dare

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I just cut my hair and donated it to locks of love... I do have to admit it is now a temptation to spend more money on it and get sucked into vanity... I want it to grow back longer now... but I have time for it to grow :)

ask your spiritual director and if you don’t have one ask the mother superior where you are entering
if they don’t tell you to cut it leave it tell Jesus its his problem if you start to get attached and that if he wants you to struggle he has to help you (I know this kind of sounds like blasphemy i not trying to sin really)
he can help you through pray call it a gift to your spouse :saint:

fearundercontrol

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='691992' date='Aug 20 2005, 02:27 PM']
The Carmelite have an invesititure ceremony when you become a Novice...

I'm going to grow it out till it hits the floor for my ceremony!
[/quote]
Awesome! That's sweet! (Have someone take pictures to post for us! :D: )

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1026812' date='Jul 18 2006, 12:39 PM']
[size=3][color=#3333FF]

I was talking with Mother Mary Anne (Prioress at St. Emma) on Saturday about being a bridesmaid in my college roomate's wedding this week. I feel a little strange as I haven't dated in two years and being in the wedding party means 3 days of partying/dancing etc. I was concerned about the dancing as the dress is low cut (not my choice) in the back.. MOTHER SUGGESTED THAT AS MY HAIR IS LONG, I WEAR IT DOWN SO MY BACK IS COVERED. :clapping:

BET YOU THOUGHT THIS WAS OFF TOPIC :blowkiss: NOT
Love and prayers,

Dare
[/quote]

That reminds me of a question I thought of the other day--can a religious sister (who wears the habit) be a bridesmaid at a wedding? It's probably a stupid question, but I was just curious....

memory-singer

[quote name='fearundercontrol' post='1031449' date='Jul 26 2006, 03:20 PM']
Awesome! That's sweet! (Have someone take pictures to post for us! :D: )
That reminds me of a question I thought of the other day--can a religious sister (who wears the habit) be a bridesmaid at a wedding? It's probably a stupid question, but I was just curious....
[/quote]

I smiled when I saw this (Since I told Mother, I wouldn't be doing it again.) Don't know about other communities but I don't think a Benedictine from St. Emma's would.

Pax,

Dare

[quote name='fearundercontrol' post='1031449' date='Jul 26 2006, 05:20 PM']
[/quote]
I'm sure it's been asked somewhere on the boards before. And I'm pretty sure I'm not in the mood just this moment to go hunting for a link. Buuuuuuut.... I'm pretty sure "it depends." I know the Martyrs (FSMG) don't allow their sisters to attend weddings. And I think most communities allow it for close family members only. But it'd be a good question to ask a VD.

Sorry for the hijacking. :)

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I grew out my hair for two years just to make a big deal about getting a tonsure.

SHALOM
Mark
IMaGiNaZUN

memory-singer

Hi Hair Phriends,

In preparation for my time at St. Emmas I had 15 inches cut of (and donated to Locks of Love.) This is not too big a deal as the hair still reaches to 6 inches above my waist. Now I can wash and wear it with an elastic. To tell the truth; I found it a "hair-raising experience. " :shock:
The next hair cut goes under a veil. :topsy:

Yours, trying to grow in detachment,

Dare

memory-singer

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1036313' date='Aug 2 2006, 09:31 AM']
Hi Hair Phriends,

In preparation for my time at St. Emmas I had 15 inches cut of (and donated to Locks of Love.) This is not too big a deal as the hair still reaches to 6 inches above my waist. Now I can wash and wear it with an elastic. To tell the truth; I found it a "hair-raising experience. " :shock:
The next hair cut goes under a veil. :topsy:

Yours, trying to grow in detachment,

Dare
[/quote]

P. S. Check this out. [url="http://www.benedictinesofmary.org/conversion_of_life.html"]http://www.benedictinesofmary.org/conversion_of_life.html[/url]

Great picture.

Dare

• 4 weeks later...

I cut mine but then I decided to let it grow again because it will be cool to cut alot off.

Oh by the way I cut mine to become detached because People comlpimented me on how beautifull it was...and it was..
it was past my wais thick blond and curly...sob...sniff... it was like rupunzill...any way it is gone now and I was very proud of my self but it turns out I look good with short hair and people liked it even more when it was short. there goes that Idea. :idontknow: