An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I cut my hair?

zabbazooey

Should I cut my hair to prepare to possibly enter the convent?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Aug 20 2005, 02:27 PM']The Carmelite have an invesititure ceremony when you become a Novice...

I'm going to grow it out till it hits the floor for my ceremony!
[right][snapback]691992[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, they (Carmelites DCJ) have investiture, but you have to have short hair going into postulancy. The same is true for the Sisters of St Francis of the Martyr St. George.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 20 2005, 09:51 PM']Actually, they (Carmelites DCJ) have investiture, but you have to have short hair going into postulancy. The same is true for the Sisters of St Francis of the Martyr St. George.
[right][snapback]692478[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

it depends on the community, i know most dont really care but as long as it up put up inot a bun or somethinglike that!!!!!!!!! i knwo most communities insist that your hair in short but i dont think it makes much of a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I was in that boat myself, and I am going to keep it long so that it can be another thing I can give to Christ. Also long hair is symbolic of youth and being "unwed" so to say...

I haven't cut my hair in a long time, nor have I colored it... I haven't done anything at all really with it...

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Aug 20 2005, 03:02 PM'][url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org"]http://www.carmelitedcj.org[/url]

I want to enter Fall 2006

Hopefully they'll let me in! ^_^
[right][snapback]692039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How beautiful! I'm surprised I haven't heard of them before!

• 10 months later...

Sister Mary Gabriel was adamant that I not cut my hair prior to investiture, because Mother Angelica gets a kick out of cutting hair at investitures. From what I hear she cackles, because she likes it so much. lol. I can just picture that.

puellapaschalis

Sounds a bit scary, actually. If you didn't know any better, how would [i]you[/i] interpret the image of an old nun cackling at cutting a young woman's hair off?

I'm getting a Rapunzel-flashback here... :ninja: :P:

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

Ah hair.....

Enjoy the it while you have it :P: (Let Mother Angelica enjoy cutting it off.) Mine is almost to my waist. My hope is to donate it to "Locks of Love" after i enter the novitiate. (My mother has brought up the hair question several times and I assured her, I can be a postulant with my hair pinned up.)

Pax,

Dare

I am trying to grow mine out too so I can donate it :) I think I read they need at least 10" which is going to be a a stretch seeing as I decided to chop my hair off for the first time ever a few months ago lol. I can totally see Mother Angelica getting a kick out of cutting it off, she is hysterical! I wonder if they continue to cut it short through the years???? I hope Mother Angelica is still well enough to participate if I join the PCPA's :)

i could be wrong but i think those are the Carmelites that an old skool phatmasser named 'prayeree' joined...

be_thou_my_vision

I think you should wait until you get your acceptance letter if God is calling you there... cut it in celebration!

God Bless

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1024529' date='Jul 14 2006, 01:19 PM']
Sister Mary Gabriel was adamant that I not cut my hair prior to investiture, because Mother Angelica gets a kick out of cutting hair at investitures. From what I hear she cackles, because she likes it so much. lol. I can just picture that.
[/quote]

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/DSC_0060.jpg[/img]

That was Sr. Ashley.... now she's Sr. Maria Magdalena of the Merciful Redeemer. She's fulfilling her canonical year in the cloister right now. And she has a blood sister in the cloister named Sr. Marie Ste. Anne.