An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I cut my hair?

zabbazooey

Should I cut my hair to prepare to possibly enter the convent?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I cut my hair, it might help me let go of material things and focus on God more. What do you guys think?

Leave it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine having all your hair cut at an investiture ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Aug 15 2005, 09:21 PM']If I cut my hair, it might help me let go of material things and focus on God more. What do you guys think?
[right][snapback]686214[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you joined the Carmelites in St. Louis, they have to have short hair before they enter. One of my friends joined, and I think she cut hers little by little to get used to it first.

My hair is pretty long, and I just figured that I would cut it right before I had (either before I entered or when I am invested) because I always thought that would be like Clare. The other reason is if I had short hair I'd become too vain because I'd want to dye it and I know I would spend too much time doing it.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 15 2005, 10:24 PM']If you joined the Carmelites in St. Louis, they have to have short hair before they enter. One of my friends joined, and I think she cut hers little by little to get used to it first.

My hair is pretty long, and I just figured that I would cut it right before I had (either before I entered or when I am invested) because I always thought that would be like Clare. The other reason is if I had short hair I'd become too vain because I'd want to dye it and I know I would spend too much time doing it.
[right][snapback]686262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Where are you entering? Not every Order does a big invesiture ceremony where the cutting of the hair is a big feature. If you are wearing a veil as a postulant you might want to cut it short. I know it's hard but do a little at a time and it will be a real sacrifice for Jesus! :)

Personally I have grown mine out in anticipation for my investiture (Mother Abbess cuts your hair at the PCPA's... that's Mother Angelica), but I totally know what you're saying about the temptation to materialism and maybe even to vanity. I have had the same problem. Almost luckily for me, I don't have a lot of good hair days :-p So, I'd say whatever you feel would help you grow more holy [i]right now[/i] would be a good choice.

All For Jesus

[quote name='jgirl' date='Aug 15 2005, 11:24 PM']If you joined the Carmelites in St. Louis, they have to have short hair before they enter. One of my friends joined, and I think she cut hers little by little to get used to it first.

[right][snapback]686262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think some orders want you to cut it short (at least a little shorter-maybe shoulder length or a little bit higher) so that it is easily manageable. That way, while your a postulant, you don't have to worry so much about spending time fixing it and can focus more on other things. However, it would also be nice to leave it longer...so you can have it cut for your investiture (even if the community does not have a formal ceremony...its still significant.)

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Aug 16 2005, 09:29 AM']I think some orders want you to cut it short (at least a little shorter-maybe shoulder length or a little bit higher) so that it is easily manageable.  That way, while your a postulant, you don't have to worry so much about spending time fixing it and can focus more on other things.  However, it would also be nice to leave it longer...so you can have it cut for your investiture (even if the community does not have a formal ceremony...its still significant.)
[right][snapback]686556[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, that's a given...i will probably cut it right before i enter so it's long enough to put in a ponytail...Alabama can get hot!

FlyLikeABird

I'd cut it at least a little. I've heard from a number of religious that I've spoken to that the veil can get pretty darn hot and uncomfortable with long hair.

[quote name='FlyLikeABird' date='Aug 19 2005, 02:53 AM']I'd cut it at least a little. I've heard from a number of religious that I've spoken to that the veil can get pretty darn hot and uncomfortable with long hair.
[right][snapback]690103[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My order doesn't wear a veil for postulancy.

The Carmelite have an invesititure ceremony when you become a Novice...

I'm going to grow it out till it hits the floor for my ceremony!

[url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org"]http://www.carmelitedcj.org[/url]

I want to enter Fall 2006

Hopefully they'll let me in! ^_^