An Old School Catholic Message Board

The importance of a job/career to a Catholic

Paladin D

This issue has been on my mind for quite sometime now, and I thought many of you would have some insight on it. Some jobs or careers may seem to have more of a significance compared to some others, such as, a doctor to a janitor. Though a janitor still serves a purpose, someone needs to clean the mess of others, if no one does, who will? I've been feeling uncertain on the significance of careers I would like to pursue. One is the film industry, another is in the geography field, and (as a vocation) maybe the priesthood. Though I can't help but have this thought:

[i]"It is unlikely that I will greatly impact society, 50 years from now, no one will remember me. I'm this small peon who contributes his part to society only to survive, and that's it."[/i]

Yet again, in order for a society to function properly and effectively, [b]everyone[/b] has to pull their weight, if it be large or small. We all are working to survive and improve this world, but while we're doing this, we're aiding each other in this quest through our jobs and careers.

This also brings up another point: Considering majority of us Catholics do not have glamorous, highly-popular professions, ones which everyone recognizes what we do or wished they were in our position, what do we contribute to the Church? If one Catholic was a celebrity, was open about their faith and support of the Church, everyone would see and know of it. While an average Catholic goes about their daily routine to survive in this world, but they don't have as great of a social impact compared to an individual celebrity, or iconic figure. In the whole big scheme of things, this can make ordinary Catholics (like myself) seem useless in the "grand scheme".

I suppose we have to take note to what was stated earlier, and apply it to this situation: [b]We are a Church of millions, we work together as one force, united in Christ, to make a huge impact on the world for the sake of souls[/b]. People (including me at times) fall victum to the idea that we must become great figures in society to really make an impact; while as Catholics, all we need to do is support each other and the Church to make an even greater impact.

I hope this comforts those who may have felt (or are feeling) a sense of uselessness in the grand scheme of things, if it be in society, in the Church, or both. Pray for me, and I'll pray for you. Hopefully there is at least another person who could add something to this.

[b]Edit:[/b] Is the title accurate for what I said?

Edited by Paladin D

To add an example:

The idea of becoming a geographer for a career sounds interesting, but it seems as if it doesn't contribute to society in a significant way (only Geo-nerds would find it fascinating, and no one else). :lol:

Thoughts like that pop-up at times.

i've been thinking about this lately as well. mostly in response to relatives who say that i must have a college degree to do something "worthwhile" with my life. i guess i don't agree with that. i think that as long as i'm doing my job (whatever it may be) to the best of my ability and show the light of the Gospel (either directly or indirectly) with those i work with and for -- i'm doing the work of the Kingdom of God -- and that's where my concern should ultimately lie. that's worthwhile.

I'm reminded of a story (one with probably several variations and infinitely better retelling, but...)

[i]A guy sees a kid walking down the shore after a large storm. On the shore there's thousands of starfish dying. The kid walks and picks them up and throws them back into the sea. The guy calls out to the kid, "What's the use? You'll never be able to make a difference. When you're done, there will still be thousands left. You should give up."

The kid just crouches, picks one up and shows it to the guy. The kid looks him in the eye and says, "For this one, though, it makes all the difference in the world." And he throws it back into the sea.[/i]

There's a scene in "Good Will Hunting" where Robin Williams asks (mathematics genius) Matt Damon what he wants to do with his life other than cleaning up after Harvardites. Damon waxes poetic on how there's "honor" in cleaning toilets and fixing cars. Williams responds sarcastically that he's sure Damon would choose such a job for that reason, for the "honor" in it.

The point being that a Christian vocation can be carried out in any way. If you clean toilets for a living, then clean them for God. If you dig graves, dig for God. But don't use that as an excuse to waste the talents God gave you. If you're a talented artist, or writer, or philosopher, then utilize the gifts god has given you.

There's another scene in that movie where Damon talks about how he's gonna be doing construction in 20 years, watching football games with his buddies. And Ben Affleck says that he'll literally kill him if he's hanging around in 20 years. Forget about oweing it to himself, he owed it to Affleck, and everyone who didn't have a ticket out of a menial life.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Aug 15 2005, 05:04 PM']i've been thinking about this lately as well. mostly in response to relatives who say that i must have a college degree to do something "worthwhile" with my life. i guess i don't agree with that. i think that as long as i'm doing my job (whatever it may be) to the best of my ability and show the light of the Gospel (either directly or indirectly) with those i work with and for -- i'm doing the work of the Kingdom of God -- and that's where my concern should ultimately lie. that's worthwhile.
[right][snapback]685950[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Even though our professions may not directly spread the Truth of Christ and His Church, our way of living and the hard work we do in these professions give a testimony to our co-workers and to our customers. I'm not completely sure, but I would assume the Church encourages us to contribute to society in hopes to improve it, to benefit everyone. Some people have professions that [b]directly[/b] spread the message of Christ and His Church to the world, while others are [b]indirect[/b]. :)

[quote name='scardella' date='Aug 15 2005, 05:15 PM']I'm reminded of a story (one with probably several variations and infinitely better retelling,  but...)

[i]A guy sees a kid walking down the shore after a large storm.  On the shore there's thousands of starfish dying.  The kid walks and picks them up and throws them back into the sea.  The guy calls out to the kid, "What's the use? You'll never be able to make a difference.  When you're done, there will still be thousands left.  You should give up."

The kid just crouches, picks one up and shows it to the guy.  The kid looks him in the eye and says, "For this one, though, it makes all the difference in the world."  And he throws it back into the sea.[/i]
[right][snapback]685963[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol: My pastor actually used the same story in his homily a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Aug 15 2005, 05:18 PM']There's a scene in "Good Will Hunting" where Robin Williams asks (mathematics genius) Matt Damon what he wants to do with his life other than cleaning up after Harvardites. Damon waxes poetic on how there's "honor" in cleaning toilets and fixing cars. Williams responds sarcastically that he's sure Damon would choose such a job for that reason, for the "honor" in it.

The point being that a Christian vocation can be carried out in any way. If you clean toilets for a living, then clean them for God. If you dig graves, dig for God. But don't use that as an excuse to waste the talents God gave you. If you're a talented artist, or writer, or philosopher, then utilize the gifts god has given you.
[/quote]

Exactly.

On a different note, work in and of itself is rewarding. Anyone who's been out of work for more than 4-5 months can tell you that work, whatever it may be, builds YOU up in being able to serve mankind and sustain yourself. "An idle mind is a devil's workshop" indeed. If you're not working, then you feel powerless.

Where I work, I run around and fix computers ("saving the world, one computer at a time!"). It doesn't involve a lot of direct witnessing, though I'm in contact with any number of people throughout the day. I don't shy away from my Catholic identity though. A lot of it is simply doing a good job on people's computers and trying to be a sort of "breath of fresh air."

I'm also reminded of a bunch of Scripture passages:

[i]"When you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you." -Mt 6:3
"When you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you." -Mt. 6:6
"Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed on the housetops." -Lk 12:3
"Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you." -Is 49:15[/i]

Edited by scardella

Oh man...this thread is speaking right to me!

I've been dealing with the exact same thing. It's not necessarily about a job at the moment, but about what path to take in college and what exactly to major in. I really want to do Radio, Television, and Film because it's what I really enjoy...but then I start thinking about what kind of impact I wanna make with what I do and whatnot...and if I should go for big or little things. Just as St. Therese did things in her own "little way", I know that I can make a difference on a small scale, but can't help but imagine and dream of what I could do on a bigger scale also...reaching more people and stuff.

Did that make any sense?.... Anyways, I just wanted to say that I understand what yall mean about this all. A little too well!

What I need to do is simply trust God and his plan for my life... but I'm one of those people who likes to have everything planned out. Blah.

As far as career goes for a Catholic, let me share to you this story my father shared with me when I was very young as to my choice of career and how to live it as a Catholic.

One day, the different parts of a body of a certain individual started arguing amongst themselves on who was the most impportant. The brain said he is the one who thinks, thus he is the most important. The eyes calimed that if they did not see, the brain would have nothing to think about. The lungs claimed that since they breath the air essential to all, they are without a dougt the most important. The heart got his say of course, and made his own case as to why he was the most important.

Through all the racket and the discussion, down below, was of course, the arse portal. The arse portal did not say a single thing, but after awhile, he got fed up, and simply shut-up.

Well, the poor man who's body parts had been arguing became constipated. After a couple of months, the eyes where seeing all sorts of senseless colors. The brain couldn't think properly. The heart fell into unrythmic beating and the lungs just couldn't breath very well. All the while, the arse portal stayed shut. The poor fella died soon thereafter.

The moral of the story is very simple:
You can be a brain, you can be a heart, you can be a pair of lungs or a pair of eyes, but you cannot... be... more important... than an arse portal.

Though this little story is not scripture (that I know of), I think it sums extremely well how a Cahtolic should choose and live his/her career on several levels.

God bless,

Didacus

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Aug 15 2005, 04:02 PM']To add an example:

The idea of becoming a geographer for a career sounds interesting, but it seems as if it doesn't contribute to society in a significant way (only Geo-nerds would find it fascinating, and no one else). :lol:

Thoughts like that pop-up at times.
[right][snapback]685944[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

These thoughts are silly, actually. A geographer actually contributes very much to society. Without geographers, we would not have accurate maps, and geography is important to countless other things such as surveying, construction, property-political boundray issues, and many other things. And besides this, knowledge is always valubale for its own sake.

Whether or not most people find geography fascinating, it is most certainly useful and valuable to society.

For instance, while only "computer geeks" may find programming code fascinating, millions of others depend on the programmer's skills for their day-to-day business.

If everyone insisted on only having the "most-important" jobs or careers, we would live in a non-functional and impovershed society.

I agree with Socrates, geography is a noble profession. (Even if some people take it for granite)

Okay, so the pun works better with geology... but it's close.

I just switched from a program of "community design" and a plan on working in the church in some way, to a BSc in Geology. And as fall approaches I'm getting worried whether this was the right way.
And all the time I'm wondering whether this career is compatable with my vocation. But, I figure, God calls us to live in the world, not of it. And in choosing Geology, I kind of put myself on the front lines.

I mean, lets say there's a family of 5 who want to build their house on a steep hill (because it gives a beautiful view of the valley) and you tell them they can't. Then, a year later, in the middle of the night, there's a landslide. You saved the lives of that family. And, if they aren't in union with God, you've given them another chance at eternal life. God will use you in unimaginable ways no matter what you choose to do. I mean, so you saved the lives of 5 people, in the eyes of the world that's not a big contribution. But in the eyes of God, that's huge.

Keep in mind that God has His own ways, and they may not make any sort of logical sense to us. Your life and career may never make an impact that you can see -- or even imagine -- but if that's what God wants you to do, you must do it.

The figuring-out-what-God-wants part can be hard! OTOH, He's really persistent. <_<

All signs indicate that I must be a science fiction writer. I have tried to avoid this for many years now. I [b]know[/b], logically, that this is futile and doomed to failure. I will probably never be published. :ohno: The only people who will ever read what I write are kindly critiquers .(Hi, Journeyman!) Spending my life being an unpublished writer is really stupid, since I am good at lots of practical things! :annoyed:

Even so, as much as I argue and evade, this truly seems to be what I ought to be doing. I suppose God has His reasons. I suspect I will not ever see why. :idontknow:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='philothea' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:57 AM']Keep in mind that God has His own ways, and they may not make any sort of logical sense to us.  Your life and career may never make an impact that you can see -- or even imagine -- but if that's what God wants you to do, you must do it.

The figuring-out-what-God-wants part can be hard!  OTOH, He's really persistent.  <_<

All signs indicate that I must be a science fiction writer.  I have tried to avoid this for many years now.  I [b]know[/b], logically, that this is futile and doomed to failure.  I will probably never be published.  :ohno:  The only people who will ever read what I write are kindly critiquers .(Hi, Journeyman!)  Spending my life being an unpublished writer is really stupid, since I am good at lots of practical things!  :annoyed:

Even so, as much as I argue and evade, this truly seems to be what I ought to be doing.  I suppose God has His reasons.  I suspect I will not ever see why.  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]687634[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I want an autographed copy :)