An Old School Catholic Message Board

catholic behavior

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

i was at church yesterday and the deacon started talking about how divorce rates in catholic marriages are the same as everyone else in the united states.............50%. He also said that abortions amongst catholics are the pretty close to being the same too.

Noel's angel

the thruth is that there are just too many nominal Catholics out there. There are those who are Catholic only when it suits them to be, those who proclaim Catholicism with their lips, but don't have it in their hearts, and finally true Catholics who embrace their faith and have it deeply imbedded in their hearts. When you think about the number of people in the first two groups, those figures don't seem that unrealistic.
Another example:
In my school (Loreto Catholic school), in group RE , we were asked how many people did not believe in sex before marriage and in a class of 25, two people put up their hands.

thessalonian

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 15 2005, 02:59 PM']i was at church yesterday and the deacon started talking about how divorce rates in catholic marriages are the same as everyone else in the united states.............50%. He also said that abortions amongst catholics are the pretty close to being the same too.
[right][snapback]685844[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Where does he get his numbers. This pole indicates that Catholic divorce is much lower than the norm.

[url="http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm"]http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm[/url]

Also, when one looks at Catholics who attend Mass together every Sunday, the rate is like 1% and where the family has daily prayer as well it is pretty much non-existent. The grace of God is powerful.

huh, thessa... This from your link:

[quote]Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate) % who have been divorced
Non-denominational (small groups; independents) 34%
Baptists 29%
Mainline Protestants 25%
Mormons 24%
Catholics 21%
Lutherans 21%

Ar eyou certain you read the entire arcticle of that link?[/quote]

I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

The 1% in question is anecdotal in nature and is quickly shot down by the article after being metionned. Or did I, as ussual, read something wrong?

thessalonian

[quote name='Didacus' date='Aug 15 2005, 03:52 PM']huh, thessa...  This from your link:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

The 1% in question is anecdotal in nature and is quickly shot down by the article after being metionned.  Or did I, as ussual, read something wrong?
[right][snapback]685927[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

His deacon said that the divorce rate among Catholics was 50%. I am countering it with these statistics is all. They show a 21% Catholic divorce rate. That's a bit less than 50%. How is the 1% figure shot down?

Edited by thessalonian

I constantly see the people on here making generalizations. "Are Non-Catholics Weird", "When will Protestants ever Learn?", and this topic are just a few examples. People should know that generalizations are not only unfair, but impossible. So to expect something logical to come out of a discussion based on generalizations is hopeless.

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Aug 15 2005, 07:53 PM']I constantly see the people on here making generalizations. "Are Non-Catholics Weird", "When will Protestants ever Learn?", and this topic are just a few examples. People should know that generalizations are not only unfair, but impossible. So to expect something logical to come out of a discussion based on generalizations is hopeless.
[right][snapback]686169[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That wouldn't be anything like "close-minded westerners" would it? :blush:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Mikhail' date='Aug 15 2005, 08:53 PM']I constantly see the people on here making generalizations. "Are Non-Catholics Weird", "When will Protestants ever Learn?", and this topic are just a few examples. People should know that generalizations are not only unfair, but impossible. So to expect something logical to come out of a discussion based on generalizations is hopeless.
[right][snapback]686169[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Generalizations are a convenient method of describing general classes of people places or things. They are not always accurate, and sometimes tell us more about ourselves then the subject being discussed.
The deacon was simply quoting a much bandied number which has been inaccurate for several years. He simply neglected to check his facts. :)

[quote]"That wouldn't be anything like "close-minded westerners" would it?"[/quote]

On occasion, it is possible to make a generalization. However, I wasn't generalizing. I said closeminded westerners. Therefore, I was talking about westerners who are closeminded. If they aren't closeminded, they don't fit in my distinction. Unfortunately, when it comes to Eastern philosophy, most westerners are extremely closeminded.

Maybe, if we could find a way to get ppl fired up about their faith, we'd see a difference. Sadly, at least among my community, most of the kids who took CCD at my church don't even know about their faith and my sister and friends say they don't learn anything in CCD. maybe, that's the root of the problem, b/c, at least in my church, CCD isn't presented well and the kids can't wait for Confirmation b/c they see it as an end of religion and they end up not caring at all and don't see why things like premarital sex and abortion are .

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Aug 18 2005, 04:35 PM']Maybe, if we could find a way to get ppl fired up about their faith, we'd see a difference.  Sadly, at least among my community, most of the kids who took CCD at my church don't even know about their faith and my sister and friends say they don't learn anything in CCD.  maybe, that's the root of the problem, b/c, at least in my church, CCD isn't presented well and the kids can't wait for Confirmation b/c they see it as an end of religion and they end up not caring at all and don't see why things like premarital sex and abortion are .
[right][snapback]689381[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I noticed the same pattern where I grew up as well. Some of them will still attend Mass faithfully and blindly do their best to be good Christians, but most are just happy school is out. :ohno: