An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rites of the Catholic Church

Winchester

Is it possible to teach people that RCC refers only to one rite in the Cahtolic Church, leaving approx 23 with the same doctrine out in the cold?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's sort of the point of my question and I think we're pretty much on the same page

To the 'separated brethren,' Catholics (most Protestants probably do think of the Latin Rite when they think of Catholics . . . I didn't know about the other 21 + rites before I converted) appear to be a monolith

Outsiders, from the catholic perspective also appear to be monolithic, but are not. . . not to pick on the Baptists, but a Southern Baptist and a what's the other "big" group (used to be Northern, but now they're National? American? . . . BroAdam are you in the house?) continue the stereotype that if you have three Baptists in the room, you'll have four opinions . . . the Lutherans have different synods (Missouri, ELS, ELCA just to name three) . . . even Islam has Sunni and Shi'ite . . .

I don't know why it would be a surprise to all of them that there are differences in our house, too, but the biggest difference is that we stay in the house . . . they have all run away and built a new house of their own because of the irreconcilable differences

ecumenical strategy to take advantage of such ignorance. . . have the Maronites or Coptics negotiate with the Protestants . . . do you think they will be surprised when the Pope shows up to sign the final paperwork?

I've done ome research on how many rites there and here they are (please, don't bang your head, thanx):

African Liturgy
Alexandrine Liturgy
Ambrosian Liturgy
Antiochene Liturgy
Byzantine Rite
Celtic Rite
Gallican Rite
Greek Rites
Mozarabic Rite
Roman Rite
Ruthenian Rite
Sarum Rite
Slavonic Liturgy
Syrian Rite East
Syrian Rite West

15 altogether! :topsy: RC

Actually, there are 21 Eastern Catholic Churches that follow 5 traditions

Alexandrian Tradition:
Coptic Catholic Church
Ethiopian Catholic Church

Antiochene Tradition:
Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
Maronite Catholic Church
Syrian Catholic Church

Armenian Tradition:
Armenian Catholic Church

Byzantine Tradition:
Albanian Church
Belarussian (Byelorussian, White Russian) Church
Bulgarian Catholic Church
Eparchy of Krizevci
Greek Catholic Church
Hungarian Catholic Church
Italo-Albanian Catholic Church
Melkite Greek Catholic Church
Romanian Greek Catholic Church
Russian Church
Ruthenian Catholic Church
Slovak Catholic Church
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

Chaldean (East Syrian) Tradition:
Chaldean Catholic Church
Syro-Malabar Catholic Church

The Ambrosian, Gallican, and Mozarabic rites are/were part of the Latin Church, not the Eastern Churches. The Celtic rite I think was derived from an Eastern rite, but it was still part of the Western Church

So these are our separated catholic brothers and sisters? are they to be grouped with the protestants?

if Anglican-use is to be considered a seperate rite, then Tridentine is also a separate rite.

while common usage calls them different "rites" of the Church, it would be more appropriate to call them "sui juris churches" considering these 23 Winchester is speaking of are all sui juris churches in union with the Pope and there are even some sui juris churches that use the same rite as another sui juris church, so they may or may not be considered each to be "rites"...

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:32 PM']So these are our separated catholic brothers and sisters? are they to be grouped with the protestants?
[right][snapback]685648[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
there are our united Catholic brothers and sisters. their entire sui juris (self governing) church is in union with the Pope.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:37 PM']can i make my own rite?

(i don't want to, but i'm just wondering)
[right][snapback]685654[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
no.

lol if people could make their own rite, we'd have accumulated many more than 23 over our 2 millenia of existence.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 15 2005, 11:39 AM']no. 
lol if people could make their own rite, we'd have accumulated many more than 23 over our 2 millenia of existence.
[right][snapback]685657[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh but I so wanted to start a rite that did the Mass all in internet acronym lingo.... :cool:

goldenchild17

Is this an accurate and exhaustive list?

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/rites.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/rites.htm[/url]

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Aug 15 2005, 11:37 AM']can i make my own rite?

(i don't want to, but i'm just wondering)
[right][snapback]685654[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Become a Prostant :)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:35 PM']if Anglican-use is to be considered a seperate rite, then Tridentine is also a separate rite.

while common usage calls them different "rites" of the Church, it would be more appropriate to call them "sui juris churches" considering these 23 Winchester is speaking of are all sui juris churches in union with the Pope and there are even some sui juris churches that use the same rite as another sui juris church, so they may or may not be considered each to be "rites"...
[right][snapback]685650[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

nope.
Trid is not a separate rite.