An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rites of the Catholic Church

Winchester

Is it possible to teach people that RCC refers only to one rite in the Cahtolic Church, leaving approx 23 with the same doctrine out in the cold?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I chose "There are no other Rites, it's all a conspiracy." I'm not sure why I chose it. It just seemed like the most entertaining answer. In addition, I thought it would be fun to get appy all fired up.

Because it seems that those who have had it explained to them decided [i]not[/i] to implement thier newfound knowledge, I think it's safe to assume that they [i]don't want to use it[/i]. They don't like the idea of calling us simply 'Catholic' because they don't want anyone to mistake us for the only people that word applies to. (You know, 'cause they use the Apostles Creed). Maybe they are in denial, or they just want us to fall into the usage they have decided for the word.

Many Catholics talk about themselves in a wrong way. They will say such things as "The Church condemned Liturgical dancing!" or "We will NEVER have married Priests in the Church!". Both are very wrong statements since different rites practice both.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Aug 11 2005, 07:07 PM']Aren't they referring to the Latin Church though?
[right][snapback]682599[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, but they should mention that they are. Many people I know wouldn't in their wildest dreams think of priests getting married.

Laudate_Dominum

I'm all for married priests in the churches that have that tradition. But I strongly oppose the agenda to remove the discipline of cerical celibacy in the Roman church. Just because one church does something doesn't mean everyone should. It would be out of context for one thing.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 12 2005, 07:34 PM']I'm all for married priests in the churches that have that tradition. But I strongly oppose the agenda to remove the discipline of cerical celibacy in the Roman church. Just because one church does something doesn't mean everyone should. It would be out of context for one thing.
[right][snapback]683611[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's good to believe that. I just don't want that belief to be taught as if it can not possibly happen or as if it doesn't exist in the other rites.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='musturde' date='Aug 12 2005, 09:01 PM']That's good to believe that. I just don't want that belief to be taught as if it can not possibly happen or as if it doesn't exist in the other rites.
[right][snapback]683662[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's true. But you have to admit that there are people out there with an agenda who promote the idea.. I think the mandatory celibacy in the west is a great gift to the Church. It really bothers me when people devalue it or do comparisons with the practices of the east. The fact is, celibacy is ideal. The fathers, both east and west, are univocal in this regard.
Don't get me wrong, I think that the married clergy of the east has a beauty of its own, but I'm Roman Catholic and I'm not about to attack our traditions or compare east and west. Neither can be understood on the others terms.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 12 2005, 09:14 PM']That's true. But you have to admit that there are people out there with an agenda who promote the idea.. I think the mandatory celibacy in the west is a great gift to the Church. It really bothers me when people devalue it or do comparisons with the practices of the east. The fact is, celibacy is ideal. The fathers, both east and west, are univocal in this regard.
Don't get me wrong, I think that the married clergy of the east has a beauty of its own, but I'm Roman Catholic and I'm not about to attack our traditions or compare east and west. Neither can be understood on the others terms.
[right][snapback]683675[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's true but whenever I hear reference, it's usually to the Eastern Orthodox Church, not to the Eastern Rite. I'm not saying people should promote it, I'm simply saying they shouldn't be against it and realize that it is an open decision.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='journeyman' date='Aug 13 2005, 04:06 PM']Do we understand all the varieties of Lutherans and/or Baptists?
[right][snapback]684288[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes. They are all Protestant.

What more do you really need to know?

J/k :D:

I believe there is far more difference between the varities of Protestants than there is between the rites of the Church. Usually, it's a "fundamental" difference between the Protestants, while we may attend another rite's mass and still have it be familiar, um, er... even catholic. (Yes, catholic with a little "c").