An Old School Catholic Message Board

mad as hell at Leno

Brother Adam

"No" is the only answer that leaves anyone a right to complain.

Michael Jackson's supposed actions ruined lives. Power differentials in sex situations lead to damage.

Both jokes are based on sin and human suffering. If you're going to disallow all jokes based on that, then fine, do it, but let's not split hairs and act righteous. When you do that, they win.

The humor reaction is a reaction, sometimes brought on by the horrible stress of the source of humor. No, child molestation itself is not funny, but some child molestation jokes make me laugh, and some of them have been told to me by victims. It's a coping mechanism, and it does relieve stress.

Era Might: I cannot live in a humorless world. Knock knock jokes just don't cut it for me. My advice: stay away from late night.

Kilroy the Ninja

Ok, so like I'm gone for three (ok four) days and ya'll are debating the laughableness of Jay Leno?

Is this a debate?

I'd probably have to agree with Winchester on this. The delivery probably was funny.

Was it inappropriate? Yes. But so much of what comes out of most stand-up is. Letterman should have followed Carson. Leno is a hack. Craig F. is pretty funny though....

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Aug 11 2005, 01:16 PM']so true, so true!  :drool:
and my point is that comics make fun of everyone! the same could be said of politicians (both Democratic and Republican)...as in, it is perfectly permissible to bash politicians, anytime, anywhere, and in any form.

i'm not saying he's right for making fun of the Church...i think comics can still be funny without making fun of [b]anyone[/b]
[right][snapback]681995[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly. I agree with you, Lil Red. And personally, I find Leno hilarious. Much more funny than Letterman.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Aug 13 2005, 11:03 AM']Ok, so like I'm gone for three (ok four) days and ya'll are debating the laughableness of Jay Leno?

Is this a debate?
I'd probably have to agree with Winchester on this.  The delivery probably was funny.

Was it inappropriate?  Yes.  But so much of what comes out of most stand-up is.  Letterman should have followed Carson.  Leno is a hack.  Craig F. is pretty funny though....
[right][snapback]684045[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Brother Adam

[quote name='mulls' date='Aug 11 2005, 01:36 PM']if it was a joke about some protestant preacher you guys would be rolling on the floor.
[right][snapback]682019[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No.

[quote]Era Might: I cannot live in a humorless world. Knock knock jokes just don't cut it for me. My advice: stay away from late night.
[/quote]

Will do.

Edited by Era Might