An Old School Catholic Message Board

another thread on exorcisms.......

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 15 2005, 02:35 AM']the thought of talismans with the holy spirit in it scares me. Still sounds like a primitive belief. I am sorry.
[right][snapback]685378[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Those haunted by demons are equally haunted in a multitude of superstition. It is purely primitive and absolutely irrational. Aswell as unjustified.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 15 2005, 02:35 AM']the thought of talismans with the holy spirit in it scares me. Still sounds like a primitive belief. I am sorry.
[right][snapback]685378[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Probably because you are still using words like "magic" and "talisman."

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Aug 15 2005, 12:02 PM']Probably because you are still using words like "magic" and "talisman."
[right][snapback]685696[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Its the same thing. You simply want to quibble over semantics because of the 'occult' connotations to those words.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Aug 15 2005, 03:38 PM']Its the same thing. You simply want to quibble over semantics because of the 'occult' connotations to those words.
[right][snapback]685908[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never really was haunted by demons or felt like i was unless i was in a period of my life when i was really trying to live my life like jesus.........trying to really believe in god. I think its the people who believe in god who are the stubborn ones here. I am sorry but i really cant believe that some item has powers of god in it. Im gonna take this mcdonalds cup in my hand to a priest and make it into a grail of life. Just ignore all the "im lovin it" sentences all over it.

You're still struggling with this vending machine view of God.
You can't just demand a priest do something. Likewise you can't demand God do something.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Aug 15 2005, 03:38 PM']Its the same thing. You simply want to quibble over semantics because of the 'occult' connotations to those words.
[right][snapback]685908[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, its not the same thing. A medal that has a blessing is not the same as a magical talisman. The usage of this words is done on purpose, to try to blend them together and make them the same things.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 15 2005, 05:51 PM']LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never really was haunted by demons or felt like i was unless i was in a period of my life when i was really trying to live my life like jesus.........trying to really believe in god. I think its the people who believe in god who are the stubborn ones here.  I am sorry but i really cant believe that some item has powers of god in it. Im gonna take this mcdonalds cup in my hand to a priest and make it into a grail of life. Just ignore all the "im lovin it"  sentences all over it.
[right][snapback]686075[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You dont really understand what a blessing is, do you? No one said it was the "power of God."

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Aug 15 2005, 07:02 PM']No, its not the same thing. A medal that has a blessing is not the same as a magical talisman. The usage of this words is done on purpose, to try to blend them together and make them the same things.

[right][snapback]686135[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Can you please clarify on how a magical talisman is different than a blessed medal? Considering that they both posses a supernatural power. Regardless of the source of this power, whether it be some sort of inherrent magical power tied to the item. Or the mark of God which evokes the power of God to perform the intended purpose of such medal. i,e protection from demons. They are still items which hold power that is beyond all naturalistic explanation. Yet, another similarity is that they both require a blessing of sorts from someone who is for lack of a better word 'in tune' with the spiritual. A Priest, a Shaman. Now I certainly do not hold you to regard a shaman in the same class as the priest, the example is only to show the similarities in methodologies used to build such devices. I will leave you with the definition of a talisman:

talisman

n : a trinket or piece of jewelry thought to be a protection against evil [syn: amulet]

The difference has been explained, but allow me to try again.

The magic power belongs to the talismen.
The medal belongs to the blessing.

Does this make sence?

I'll agree they seem very similar. It's about ownership.
A talismen is about trying to control something.
A medal is about allowing God to work on us.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Aug 15 2005, 07:43 PM']talisman

n : a trinket or piece of jewelry thought to be a protection against evil [syn: amulet]
[right][snapback]686160[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
A silly definition does not change anything.

We know that the Love of Christ protects us. Its a shame you dont understand.