An Old School Catholic Message Board

social issues

dairygirl4u2c

On social issues such as welfare etc, not moral issues such as abortion and gay marriage, which way do you lean between the two?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

I was forced to do a null vote because the issues at hand are too complex for me to handle.. I just don't like to think in black and white when it comes to today's political milieu. I realize many issues are black and white, but the two major parties are potpourri. It's too complicated for me right now..

When it comes to money, I like the republicans. When it comes to letting people do what they want I like the democrats. Most of the time I get frustrated with both sides and wonder why the Liberterians make so much sense.

As a person who's majority of family, in-laws, etc., are immigrants from other countries, I lean more toward the Republican version of limited government and limited welfare. I have a STRONG distrust of the oppression and tyranny an invasive and overpowering government tends to inflict on the populace. The national government tends to do as much harm as it does good.

When the local commuity lives an authentic Christian lifestyle, a government doesn't need to establish and adminster welfare programs. Americans often believe charity is not their personal responsibility, but the responsibility of the Government. We preach by example. What example do we provide when we say: "Don't ask me, ask your Uncle Sam."

I'm entirely against big government and the welfare state as corrosive to a free society and to the human spirit. I am to the "right" of both the Democrats and Republicans on this, and certainly do not think we need further increases in the growth of government.

Edited by Socrates

I'm a democrat. As far as things like welfare go, of course there are people who abuse the system, but I think that it is a basically good program that helps people who would otherwise have no way of getting by.

White Knight

I think on Voting Cards they sould have your actual political postition, and not just have the term Democrat, Republican, or Independant. I think it would make it easier to make the votes count, and it would also clear up how many democrats, how many republicians, and how many independants, voted for whom.

But having Liberal, Moderate, or Conservative would be more elaberate.

hmm.... I'd like to see Social Secuirity abolished, welfare greatly cut back, property tax abolished, less paperwork and safetynets for people starting small businesses, a government that is a lot smaller with more states rights and less federalization, hmm... I suppose that makes me pretty darn far-right? yeah I suppose it does. :D:

ooo... but there should be a federal law against abortion the same way there is against murder, but I'll settle for letting the states decide if that's all we can get for now.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 18 2005, 12:06 PM']hmm.... I'd like to see Social Secuirity abolished, welfare greatly cut back, property tax abolished, less paperwork and safetynets for people starting small businesses, a government that is a lot smaller with more states rights and less federalization, hmm... I suppose that makes me pretty darn far-right?  yeah I suppose it does.  :D:

ooo... but there should be a federal law against abortion the same way there is against murder, but I'll settle for letting the states decide if that's all we can get for now.
[right][snapback]689023[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with Aloysius.

White Knight

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Aug 18 2005, 12:06 PM']hmm.... I'd like to see Social Secuirity abolished, welfare greatly cut back, <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=property%20tax&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: property tax'; self.ql_skeyphrase='property%20tax'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='property%20tax'; window.status='Search for: property tax';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">property tax</a> abolished, less paperwork and safetynets for people starting small businesses, a government that is a lot smaller with more <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=states%20rights&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: states rights'; self.ql_skeyphrase='states%20rights'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='states%20rights'; window.status='Search for: states rights';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">states rights</a> and less federalization, hmm... I suppose that makes me pretty darn far-right?  yeah I suppose it does.  :D:

[right][snapback]689023[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You seem to be the type that doesn't want the Government in your life too much lol. then again the way you posted it was pretty obvious.