An Old School Catholic Message Board

which are you

dairygirl4u2c

Which of the following do you think most describes you.  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Aug 14 2005, 10:43 AM']Granted banning those may seem a bit extreme and I meant more like stricter regulations and requirements, but planting vegetation isn't enough and doesn't deal with the whole problem.  It does nothing for the PM10 or PM2.5 (particles under 10/2.5 microns, essentially minute particulate smog,  highways because of the traffic and deserts are places you can find an increase in this kind of smog).  There are at least 17 million asthmatics in the United States and a scientific study done by I think it was a major Southern CA university showed that more people had chemical sensitivities that were aware of it.
[right][snapback]684767[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
california?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
well it really hasnt been a major issue. As technology grows polution is going to decrease. I dont think we really have to worry about polution immediately. Not to say we shouldnt plan for the future. What in god's name produces pollution in california?

i would like to add that technology has already introduced cars that depend more on electric power than fossil fuels. I bet in 10 years from now half the cars on the road are gonna be based on electrical power.

interesting thing i heard a few years ago.............we should have flying cars in like 10 years. They already had a prototype then. I am not sure but i think they may have been solar powered.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 14 2005, 11:09 AM']california?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
well it really hasnt been a major issue. As technology grows polution is going to decrease. I dont think we really have to worry about polution immediately. Not to say we shouldnt plan for the future. What in god's name produces pollution in california?

i would like to add that technology has already introduced cars that depend more on electric power than fossil fuels. I bet in 10 years from now half the cars on the road are gonna be based on electrical power.

interesting thing i heard a few years ago.............we should have flying cars in like 10 years. They already had a prototype then. I am not sure but i think they may have been solar powered.
[right][snapback]684837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So we can trash the environment all we want because later technology will be better?

And are you serious about asking what casuses pollution in California?

If we don't worry about pollution, we're in big trouble b/c thanks to pollution, more kids have asthma and are more likely to get childhood leukemia and, there is a smog problem in California so L&T has a valid point about pollution.

Infinite,
The Iraq war has little to do with current gas prices.
It was an oil refinery that blew up.
It's China's development that has increased demand for oil.
It's environmentalists that prevent the West from tapping into local oil supplies.
There isn't even a credible 'story' about how Bush can benefit from the war. It's ridiculous to even consider that when there are lot's of other easier ways to benefit from his position as President without the political danger.

Light on Truth,
The increase in asthma in the US is due to better sealed dwellings and office that don't exchange air with outside. People are struck breathing the chemicals in the building products.
Air pollution and acid rain has been greatly reduced.

[quote name='jasJis' date='Aug 14 2005, 03:05 PM']Light on Truth,
The increase in asthma in the US is due to better sealed dwellings and office that don't exchange air with outside.  People are struck breathing the chemicals in the building products.
Air pollution and acid rain has been greatly reduced.
[right][snapback]684955[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not just anti-smog, I'm anti-large amounts of excess chemical exposure. That is why I don't like air-fresheners and I don't wear perfume. I know smog has gone down. I used to live in a moble home and we could not see well across the street back when I was little and spent summers on the couch because I was so asthmatic and most days of the year were 1st stage smog alerts. And I know it was ten years after that that my dad got an inhalor for asthma. My mothers ability to go outside and do things in summer is still affected by her ability to breath when she goes outside and her ability to visit my brother at his old college without a chemically triggered migrain was dependant on having a coffee (lattee so that the acid would not bother her stomach) part of the way through the drive before the longer stretch of high ways. She was most sensitive after some health stuff when we moved to a ten year old foundation home a little higher of the mountain (thus in a place that was a little less smoggy). I had a class with a girl who sometimes had horrible migrains which in the past had cost her jobs and boyfriends and delayed her schooling. Her migrains were worse after the highway near us was extended so she spent more time near the highway smog. Even though things are getting better, people are still suffering from it. My brother's second grade class happened at the same the school was being painted and one by one the regularly paint exposed children went asthmatic including the majority of his second grade class. That won't go away just because the initial exposures are not there any more.

As much as people who are chemically intolerant are exposed to those chemicals to which they are intolerant, even in small amounts, their bodies are going to become more intolerant. Some chemicals even make people react to other chemicals. Whether it is to a degree that we are aware of or not, when we are exposed to chemicals, it can cause permanent damage. Reducing the exposures doesn't undo the damage or necessarily always prevent a physiological reaction. Even chronic exposure that is not acute can cause problems to people's health.

Astronauts have commented on how the atmosphere of the earth appears to have changed as a result of pollution. I've seen people's health impacted be smog that blew over from China. Don't think I'm only against smog, but please don't think that it is not a problem for some people.

For where I stand on chemicals (indoor and outdoor pollution) and health, please see the chemicals and health thread in the open mic section located here [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=37803&st=0#entry684970"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?a...t=0#entry684970[/url]

I am a Republican....I support the platform on about 90-95% of the issues. There are a few issues I disagree with though.

[quote]When conservativism becomes extreme.........these people tend to not have any compassion............they look down on the unfortunate.[/quote]

Infinte, that is more telling of the liberals of the US, than the conservatives.

[quote]any body want to bet on which party is gonna win the next election? I have a strong feeling that the democrats are gonna win.[/quote]

Nope....they are too polarized and have no natural leadership. They are a reeling party right now and in need of serious reform. Do you know how many times the Democrats have won reelection since FDR? Once. Bill Clinton. That is it. They are way too polarized.

[quote]Have you seen fahrenheit 911?[/quote]

Yes, it is patently false. There is no truth in that drivel whatsoever. Every single thing was taken out of context and twisted to fit the extremist agenda. You talk about extreme republicans, then dare to ask that? You've gotta be kidding me. Michael Moore is the most extreme of either party....

[quote]Generally people in the military are democrat............[/quote]

Not many I know. Most military personnel that I know are Republican.

I used to be very Republican...well, for the most part. I vote based on who is the best canidate, so even saying that, I've voted for some Democrats in my time. Now I'm a member of the Constitution Party and we're very conservative.

White Knight

Politics lesson 101. Names like Republican & Democrat are tag names they dont mean anything really.

What matters is are you.

[b]Liberal (Left-Wing)-Independant(Moderate)-Conservative(Right Wing)[/b]

For instance one can be Democrat and for Pro-Life So in that sense it would make him or her lean more to the right.

Also you can have a Republican Male or Female, be very Pro-Choice on Abortion, and that would lean them over to the Left.

[b]I however claim myself to be a Republican, (Tag); Conservative.[/b]

• 4 weeks later...
Don John of Austria

I am a Fuedal monarchist. In my View Pat Buchanan is a radical left winger. There that said I ally yself with the republicans because they are better than the alternative. The enemy of my enemy is my ally after all( I think the term friend is a bit foolhardy.

argent_paladin

Wow, Infinite Lord, you are making up a lot of facts:

1. The vast majority of the overeducated (masters or Ph.Ds) are not Republican but Democrat. Surveys show that about 90% of university professors, for example, are Democrats. When asked why, one responded, "Smart people are naturally Democrats." Sound's pretty snobby to me. And think, the people who live in San Francisco, Manhattan, etc and ride in limosines and live on trust funds. They're pretty snobby, right? All democrats.
And who acted superior about his education in the last two elections? Al Gore (who failed out of seminary school) and John Kerry (who got lower grades at the same school as Bush) or Bush (who graduated from Harvard Business School)? The Democrats said that he was stupid, couldn' t read, etc. If you don't like people who act intellectually superior, you should not like the Democrats.

2. The vast majority of military are Republicans.
[quote]Today’s military: Right, Republican and principled

The 2003 Military Times Poll reveals a military more conservative, more Republican, and one that considers itself to be morally superior to the nation its serves.

The figures add fuel to a debate, ongoing since at least the end of the Vietnam War, over whether there is a gap in attitudes between America and its military and whether that is a cause for concern. Especially troubling, some observers say, are indications that military members do not believe the nation’s civilian leadership has their best interests at heart.

The poll found:

•About half described their political views as conservative or very conservative; four in 10 called themselves moderate; and only 7 percent called themselves liberal.

•More than half called themselves Republicans, and just 13 percent said they are Democrats. Recent polls of the general public show the nation evenly split, with Democrats, Republicans and independents making up about a third of the population each.

[/quote]
From the Army Times [url="http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2513919.php"]http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2513919.php[/url]

I'm PND (Party Non-Declared).

I typically end up voting for Republicans. I don't share all the opinions though. I'm into (responsible) gun owership. There is a good chance I won't own a gun though. I'm a quasi-tree hugger (I like to eat vegan and vegetarian foods). I loooooooooove Eggs Benedict and Meat (especially lamb and veal). I think I should be able to walk into a hospital and get medical attention if I need it, everyone should, yet I don't believe in enormous taxes! I think we should buy American made goods, yet outsourcing certain jobs is okay with me. I think that illegal immigrants are people and should be treat with dignity and that it should be easier for people to become citizens of the USA if they love this country, yet I think we should crack down on immigration and terrorism.

Yeah, so I vote for the best canidate (who is preferrably a man, though I'd have no problem voting for a Catholic woman).

:)