An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's the deal with

Semperviva

ok i have heard a little about this but not the whole story---

some churches have only a statue of the Risen Christ and none of him nailed to the cross...

so whats the theological implication in NOT having Jesus depicted on the cross (i have some ideas but juss wondrin)

homeschoolmom

Crucifixes are just too sad... Why dwell on the negative? It just makes me feel bad. [/sarcasm]

Bad Theology.....plain and simple. It is a misconceived idea that the suffering Christ holds no more significance and that the risen is christ is what we should focus on.

It is simply incorrect theology.....

i meant more- what happens to how ppl start to understand the mass... or will it not change anything at all-- or does it change everything--

would the faithful then focus on mass as CELEBRATIOn only
and not as sacrifice AND celebration..

do u think the way ppl view/participate in the liturgy would change
due lack of the proper imagery in church....

if ppl learn throught the 3 ways kinetic visual and auditory--- it seems all three of these modes of learning should be fulfilling the reality of sacrifice AND celebration---

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Aug 9 2005, 01:46 PM']i meant more- what happens to how ppl start to understand the mass... or will it not change anything at all-- or does it change everything--

would the faithful then focus on mass as CELEBRATIOn only
and not as sacrifice AND celebration..

do u think the way ppl view/participate in the liturgy would change
due lack of the proper imagery in church....

if ppl learn throught the 3 ways kinetic visual and auditory--- it seems all three of these modes of learning should be fulfilling the reality of sacrifice AND celebration---
[right][snapback]678398[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that you may be reading way too much into the "Risen Christ" crucifixes. They are not all that influential.

I think, personally, it is simply bad taste.....but more importantly it is bad theology. Will people be influenced? I think that they would be more influenced by poor rubrics, and poor preaching. The Liturgy can make a gymnasium seem holy, if done properly.

Guest JeffCR07

I think that Cam is correct in saying that the risen-jesus crucifixes aren't exactly a catalyst for life-altering theological shifts in the laity, but at the same time, I do think (and this is not in disagreement with Cam) that they introduce subtle and unnecessary problems.

As Cam said, it is bad theology. If a person looks and sees a risen Christ on the crucifix, that sends the subtle message that the only significance of the cross is in its relation to the Resurrection. This kind of outlook is unhealthy from a theological standpoint, because it slights the importance of Christ's suffering for the sins of all humanity. We should give due reverence to the Crucifixion as the Crucifixion, we should give due reverence to the Resurrection as the Resurrection, and we should give due reverence to the Ascension as the Ascension. To view one exclusively as a means to another is to fail to do either justice, and is theologically incomplete.

Anastasia13

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Aug 9 2005, 11:33 AM']some churches have only a statue of the Risen Christ and none of him nailed to the cross...
[right][snapback]678381[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
How do they have statues like that?

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Aug 9 2005, 02:48 PM']How do they have statues like that?
[right][snapback]678503[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Magic :P:

They suspend the risen corpus (that is an oxymoron) from wires....tacky.

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Aug 9 2005, 02:06 PM']so u don't think ppl's way of  thinking is affected by their phantasms?
[right][snapback]678431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Are you speaking of the Thomistic idea?

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Aug 9 2005, 01:38 PM']If a person looks and sees a risen Christ on the crucifix, that sends the subtle message that the only significance of the cross is in its relation to the Resurrection. This kind of outlook is unhealthy from a theological standpoint, because it slights the importance of Christ's suffering for the sins of all humanity.
[right][snapback]678485[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yes i meant it like that

[quote name='Cam42' date='Aug 9 2005, 01:52 PM']Magic  :P:

They suspend the risen corpus (that is an oxymoron) from wires....tacky.
[right][snapback]678509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

haha-and yeah, Thomist

[quote name='Cam42' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:50 PM']I think that you may be reading way too much into the "Risen Christ" crucifixes.  They are not all that influential.

Will people be influenced?  I think that they would be more influenced by poor rubrics, and poor preaching.  The Liturgy can make a gymnasium seem holy, if done properly.
[right][snapback]678402[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

well i agree with you int he sesne that they are not that influential cuz they are freackin scary lookin most of the time

--u are right to an extent. BUT

if you or I have a mental image of a gymnasium
on a practical level in which we see/hear people screaming/cheering/scoreboards buzzers, basketball players sneakers screeching, and whatever- on Sunday you come to mass and go into a gym- you may try to think MASS
but you'll feel hear think GYM- thats all i mean
i'm not disagreeing that a gym can [i]BECOME[/i] a holy place, because it CAN...but on the other hand... there's so much to it

OH CAM! LOL thanks for helping to clarify my avatar HEHE LOL

Edited by Semperviva

The church we went to until I was in fourth grade had a 'risen corpus' on the cross. I remember I didn't like it very much, and asked my mom about it because it was confusing. It didn't do much to foster one's devotion.... how does the risen Christ on the cross move you to compassion for Him and sorrow for sin?

There [i]must[/i] be a crucifix in the sanctuary during Mass, and most churched I've seen that have the risen Corpus use a processional crucifix that is placed somewhere in the sactuary when Mass begins.