An Old School Catholic Message Board

church writings

dairygirl4u2c

Do you often find that when searching for writings, from the early church, the bad popes, or other writings that are necessary to test the CC, that you cannot?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

*edit ?, "cannot find them" at the end.....

honestly

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

I own a hardcover two volume edition that contains every decree of every Ecumenical Council from Nicaea I to Vatican II in their original languages with an English Translation.

The only writings I wouldn't be able to find are the ones by popes who didn't do a lot of writing (it's not a requirement of the papacy to be a writer you know) or who lived during the time of persecution or those that would have obviously have been destroyed by barbarian sacks on Rome (you should read the book "The Vatican Secret Archives" for a history of how the Catholic Church has always archived its writings, records, membership, and clergy and how it kept gettin destroyed)

dairygirl4u2c

well maybe it's not the Catholic Church's fault. there's no point jumping to conclusions. but if the book says that they've lost a lot of stuff, then ya know they lost a lot of stuff. and i assume you put no? (since we're the only two here so far and two votes) i must also almost assume you don't find problems because you don't ask enough questions.

maybe i should just start asking every question on here that i get..
but thanks, i will seriously look for that book at my local library's book network or something.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Aug 8 2005, 06:19 PM'] i must also almost assume you don't find problems because you don't ask enough questions.
[right][snapback]677397[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Don't assume things.... Man. That is my BIGGEST pet peave. When people assume things about others there is no love there. Give him the benefit of the doubt alright?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Aug 8 2005, 05:19 PM']well maybe it's not the Catholic Church's fault. there's no point jumping to conclusions. but if the book says that they've lost a lot of stuff, then ya know they lost a lot of stuff. and i assume you put no? (since we're the only two here so far and two votes) i must also almost assume you don't find problems because you don't ask enough questions.

maybe i should just start asking every question on here that i get..
but thanks, i will seriously look for that book at my local library's book network or something.
[right][snapback]677397[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Dairy please edit the title, as we have REPEATEDLY told you Catholic Church is incorrect. We are simply the Catholic Church. Catholic Church leaves outmillions of non-Latin rite Catholics.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Laudate_Dominum

There is such an incredible amount of anti-Catholic literature on the net, it's surprising that you wouldn't find more of that sort of thing..

Laudate_Dominum

Catholic Church always makes me think of Royal Crown Cola. :)

And just plain RC makes me think of R.C. Sproul. haha

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 8 2005, 07:01 PM']Catholic Church always makes me think of Royal Crown Cola. :)
[right][snapback]677470[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haha, yeah! Once, this guy I know bought RC Cola for one of our events (Catholic Christian Outreach) on campus just because it reminded him of Roman Catholics. hehe

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='CanCath' date='Aug 8 2005, 05:17 PM']Haha, yeah! Once, this guy I know bought RC Cola for one of our events (Catholic Christian Outreach) on campus just because it reminded him of Roman Catholics. hehe
[right][snapback]677487[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
LOL! I'm going to do that someday. :)

goldenchild17

I've never had too much problem finding what I need, although I haven't done exactly in-depth study of the early Church writings yet.

I ask plenty of questions dairy. I continually and continually ask questions. just because I don't reach the same conclusions as you means nothing. The most shakey are the first couple centuries, then a few centuries after the collapse of the Western Empire until the Carolignan Renaissance, but other than those few rough spots you can find pretty much anything you want.

Guest JeffCR07

I can honestly say I've never had a problem finding something that I'm looking for. Certainly sometimes it takes some digging, but if you're a bibliophile like me, doing legitimate research isn't [i]such[/i] a pain. :D:

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]Don't assume things.... Man. That is my BIGGEST pet peave. When people assume things about others there is no love there. Give him the benefit of the doubt alright?[/quote]

[quote]but if the book says that they've lost a lot of stuff, then ya know they lost a lot of stuff. and i assume you put no? (since we're the only two here so far and two votes) i must also almost assume you don't find problems because you don't ask enough questions.[/quote]

there should be a "then" after assume, just to clarify. these sentences go together. if there are writings that are missing, one would almost have to ask about what they said.

but when it's all said and done, i did ask if you "often" have problems, not if you ever do. and like he said, he comes to different conclustions about enough that it must not become often. but whatever the case, apologies. :cyclops:

anyway, what writings are you having trouble finding? obviously some popes didn't do a lot of writing... and obviously some writings were destroyed in sacks on Rome but there are always at least some writings from that time period to show what was the prevailing thought among the Church

Most of the second Millenium is very well preserved
there are tons of ECF writings from the first few centuries.
All documents of all 21 ecumenical councils are preserved.

what writing are you missing? :huh:

Google is not the end-all be-all of research ;)