An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kingdom

Brother Adam

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Aug 8 2005, 06:03 PM']Didn't Jesus say the kingdom of God is within us?
[right][snapback]677384[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I believe He said that the Kingdom of God is at hand. Within our [b]reach[/b], not within [b]us[/b].

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='CanCath' date='Aug 8 2005, 04:30 PM']I believe He said that the Kingdom of God is at hand. Within our [b]reach[/b], not within [b]us[/b].
[right][snapback]677415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
He also said the Kingdom of God is within you.

I can't remember the exact verse off the top of my head, but I'm positive.

It's also the title of a Tolstoy book (a weird book in my opinion), and I doubt he would have misquoted.

Jake Huether

The Kindom of God is not a physical place. It is outside of time and space. So yes, the kindom of God is right here, right now. We have access to it in the Spirit through the Body of Christ. Jesus, when He incorporated us into His Body, brought the Kindom of Heaven to us in a new and powerful way.

It is "within" us, in that it is by our spirit that we are there, our bodies are in time and space. Our spirit, although operating our body as a soul in time and space is not bound by space since it is spirit. And by the waters of Baptism, through the Death of Christ, we are (in Body Soul and Spirit) children of God in the Body of Christ. Heaven is all around us, yet, as long as we are in body on earth physically alive we are not "in" Heaven. We have a connection to Heaven, but we cannot fully experience it until we have "finished the race" and attained the Beatific Vision - post death.

But this brings to mind another thing I've been thinking of, and that is the Post-resurrection Heaven.

Will the kingdom of Heaven then by physical and spiritual? Once we are given our new and glorified bodies, we will have it all. We will once again be fully human (Body soul and spirit). But how does this impact heaven?

Adam and Eve were in Paradise before the fall, but this wasn't heaven was it?

Good post... This is a great topic to discuss.

God bless.

The Church is the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God began when Christ established His Church, and will be perfected when He comes again in Glory.

infinitelord1

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Aug 8 2005, 04:03 PM']Didn't Jesus say the kingdom of God is within us?
[right][snapback]677384[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
your talking about the gospel of thomas which is not recognized in the new testament. The catholic church does not recognize this gospel as a true gospel.

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 8 2005, 10:14 PM']your talking about the gospel of thomas which is not recognized in the new testament. The catholic church does not recognize this gospel as a true gospel.
[right][snapback]677853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
the gospel of thomas also knocks celebate lifestyles and jews.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 8 2005, 09:01 PM']The Church is the Kingdom of God.  The Kingdom of God began when Christ established His Church, and will be perfected when He comes again in Glory.
[right][snapback]677652[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is what I am interested in. I believe you are right, I would like to know more though.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 8 2005, 10:17 PM']the gospel of thomas also knocks celebate lifestyles and jews.
[right][snapback]677861[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, I'm not talking about the gospel of thomas. Check this out from the New American Bible (Catholic):

Luke 17:20-21
Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he [Jesus] said in reply, "The coming of the kingdom of God cannot be observed. And no one will announce, 'Look, here it is, or 'There it is.' For behold the kingdom of God is among you."

***footnote to this verse: "Among you: the Greek preposition translated as "among" can also be translated as "within."

John 15:23
Whever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.

John 15: 20
On that day you will realize that I am in the Father and you are in me and I in you.

To me, this says the kingdom of God lives in me, lives in you, and everyone who believes and follows Jesus. Anyway, this is what I believe and where I place my trust. :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

Guest JeffCR07

Its all about the Realized Eschatology, baby.

The Kingdom of God is already, but not yet, here. Wherever the Holy Spirit is, there is the Kingdom of God. However, all of Creation is simultaneously awaiting the Parousia, and the coming of the Kingdom with Christ.

it's not personally within you as an individual. that is why in the context of english it would be confusing to translate it as literally "within" because that would confuse english speakers as it gives the connotation that it is within an individual.

the real meaning of the verse is that the kingdom of God is within Israel at that moment, for Jesus had begun to build His Church there. It is within Israel and the Pharisees do not recognize it. Using the word "within" would confuse english speakers. The Kingdom of God is not within an indivual, the Kingdom of God is meant to be that thing from without-- from God-- that binds us all together and obligates us to the same moral codes and the same beliefs. That's why it's called a kingdom, God is the king over many subjects in the Kingdom. He sets up the magisterial Church as the earthly stewards of this kingdom.

But Jesus does come to make His dwelling within you. It would be error and a misinterpretation of the verse to say the kingdom of God dwells within you personally for the Kingdom of God is where God rules over all creation. But yes, Christ does come to make His dwelling within you, He is building up His kingdom among the entire society though, and in His kingdom you are only one subject.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 8 2005, 08:01 PM']The Church is the Kingdom of God.  The Kingdom of God began when Christ established His Church, and will be perfected when He comes again in Glory.
[/quote]

exacto

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 8 2005, 09:01 PM']The Church is the Kingdom of God.  The Kingdom of God began when Christ established His Church, and will be perfected when He comes again in Glory.
[/quote]

Ditto MC's 'exacto'!