An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it ok to....

Michael D.

Is it ok to disagree with the teachings of the Church  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A question inspired by another post. I'm curious about what everbody thinks and what that means for everybody. To clarify just a smidge, i don't mean the teachings on the core issues of faith, im talking about all the other stuff here.

Well that's an easy one.

Not even a tiny bit. :birds:

(Disclaimer: I speak only for myself and do not presume to impose anything on anyone else. I am an ignorant nobody.)

Birgitta Noel

It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong here) that we may disagree on some things, but that we are called to obedience!

Laudate_Dominum

to knowingly and willfully deny a definitive teaching of the Church is formal heresy, and grave sin.

Laudate_Dominum

And one doing so may incur automatic excommunication. :(

Check out this thread that I made which outlines the degrees of authority in Church teachings:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37370&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37370&hl=[/url]

In Mike's post, he stated "not" when it came to core issues.

I think he is trying to ask if its ok to disagree with things that arent core issues.
Like, for instance, praying to a saint.

Pax

My school, a Catholic one, said that I could not agree with stuff liek the healing waters of whereever and that I don't necessarily have to pray to saints. It seems like overall there are a lot of personal or cultural customs that aren't necessary. Like I'm totally good when they say that the Host becomes the Body of Christ, but I don't have a saint I routinely pray to.

[quote name='philothea' date='Aug 7 2005, 12:48 AM']Well that's an easy one.

Not even a tiny bit.  :birds:

(Disclaimer: I speak only for myself and do not presume to impose anything on anyone else.  I am an ignorant nobody.)
[right][snapback]675575[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Aug 7 2005, 08:07 AM']to knowingly and willfully deny a definitive teaching of the Church is formal heresy, and grave sin.
[right][snapback]675793[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Isn't it ok to disagree with a teaching of the Church as long as you are in the process of understanding it? Like, if you are disagreeing with the Church's teaching on homosexuality but open-minded and want to see why the church teaches that way because you do not wish to disagree?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='CanCath' date='Aug 7 2005, 11:54 AM']Isn't it ok to disagree with a teaching of the Church as long as you are in the process of understanding it? Like, if you are disagreeing with the Church's teaching on homosexuality but open-minded and want to see why the church teaches that way because you do not wish to disagree?
[right][snapback]675944[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, you can have an imperfect assent to a teaching that is not understood and not be in a state of formal heresy. But if you went around saying the Church was flat out wrong and you were right that would be a different story. It's ok to say, "this is a hard saying", but continue to follow Christ and hope to understand.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Aug 7 2005, 08:54 AM']In Mike's post, he stated "not" when it came to core issues.

I think he is trying to ask if its ok to disagree with things that arent core issues. 
Like, for instance, praying to a saint.
Pax
[right][snapback]675823[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The poll indicated "teachings of the Church". There is no such thing as core issues, there are definitive teachings and then there are different schools of speculation, disciplines, pastoral policies and recommendations/customs, etc.

If the latter do not contradict the former, there is no issue of heresy, and there is certainly room for variation and disagreement among those things which are not definitive or even doctrinal per se. For example, praying to saints is not a mandate or teaching of the Church. There is a teaching of the Church that it is good and holy to pray to saints, but there is no definitive mandate to pray to a saint, although it's unavoidable if you are a practicing Catholic because saints are invoked in the Mass. And if a Catholic refused to pray to saints because they thought it was wrong, they would be at the very least a material heretic.

See this thread that I made lastnight for clarification on the levels of doctrine:
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37370&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=37370&hl=[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Aug 7 2005, 02:05 PM']This doesn't have to do with a post of mine, does it?
[right][snapback]676043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Nope.. it might relate though, not sure. but I was just responding to the quoted post.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Aug 7 2005, 02:07 PM']LoL, sorry...I meant the poll in general.
[right][snapback]676047[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
teehee.. oh.. not sure. :)