An Old School Catholic Message Board

another problem with evil

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 7 2005, 06:33 PM']yea, its certainly much easier to believe in god if you are happy.
[right][snapback]676324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]No kidding. I find it easier to believe in God when I'm sad. <_<
I am extremely analytical. I went through 12 years of Catholic school and had little faith, little devotion. I came to believe in God with reason and logic, and then came back to faith. (When I have it.) I really don't know of anyone who has strong faith all the time. On another note, I can't believe you find College Station so boring. My oldest friend and his boyfriend lived there for a few years. They are city people, but didn't find TS horrific. :shock:

HomeTeamFamily

[quote]better methods of documenting history has evolved over the years. Newspapers, media, books......etc. The history of jesus of nazereth was written until years after his death. That means that it was passed down by word of mouth. We all know what happens with this. Take a 100 people........line them up single file..........tell the first person to pass a message to the person behind him and also to tell that person to pass the message. By the time it gets to the end it is slightly changed..........why?.........well some people cant hear as good as others some just want to change the message for the fun of it. Imagine something like this over a period of 50-100 years. [/quote]

thats a lame excuse

[quote]I pray for divine intervention all the time[/quote]
[quote]i pray for signs all the time[/quote]

who are you praying to?

infinitelord1

[quote name='VoloHumilisEsse' date='Aug 7 2005, 11:34 PM']thats a lame excuse
who are you praying to?
[right][snapback]676636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
college station doesnt have to be boring im just saying i dont fit in with the type of people that inhabit it. They give me funny looks all the time when i talk to them.........oh there's more..........they dont take too kindly to people that arent like them. Have you heard about what gays have to go through if they live in college station? The hicks around here dont really open there arms to everybody you know. Im surprised the KKK doesnt rip the doors down of suspected gays.

infinitelord1

[quote name='VoloHumilisEsse' date='Aug 7 2005, 11:34 PM']thats a lame excuse
who are you praying to?
[right][snapback]676636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
well if i had my choice of gods handed to me on some kind of survey or something i would choose the christian god yahweh. So I guess im praying to yahweh. Why is it lame?

Edited by infinitelord1

infinitelord1

You know........maybe we shouldnt focus on me and my problems.........maybe we should focus more on the threads topic.

infinitelord1

[quote name='jasJis' date='Aug 7 2005, 10:49 PM']No kidding.  I find it easier to believe in God when I'm sad.  <_<
I am extremely analytical.  I went through 12 years of Catholic school and had little faith, little devotion.  I came to believe in God with reason and logic, and then came back to faith. (When I have it.)  I really don't know of anyone who has strong faith all the time.  On another note, I can't believe you find College Station so boring.  My oldest friend and his boyfriend lived there for a few years.  They are city people, but didn't find TS horrific.  :shock:
[right][snapback]676591[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I guess this matter is subjective.

infinitelord1

I hope you peoples faith is strong because i dont want any of this rubbing off on anybody...........i dont want this stuff to effect peoples faith. Maybe i shouldnt have said, "god why should i believe in you?" in the first place. I was just trying to say that these things that i question and search for answers make me doubt the existence of god.

Edited by infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 8 2005, 12:45 AM']college station doesnt have to be boring im just saying i dont fit in with the type of people that inhabit it. They give me funny looks all the time when i talk to them.........oh there's more..........they dont take too kindly to people that arent like them. Have you heard about what gays have to go through if they live in college station? The hicks around here dont really open there arms to everybody you know. Im surprised the KKK doesnt rip the doors down of suspected gays.
[right][snapback]676687[/snapback][/right]
[/quote] LOL. I guess I wasn't clear in my post. When I said 'oldest friend' I also said 'his boyfriend'. They are a gay couple and yes, I've heard their stories. They live in California now.

Let me share a few things that will help you in your quest. If you kinda have a belief in a 'god' or intelligent cause for our existence and want to pray, (and since you're leaning toward 'yahweh'), read "Prayer, the Great Conversation' by Peter Kreeft. It will open your mind and help you consider things. It's Christian, but not denomination specific. AFTER that book, I'd pick up the Handbook of Christian Apologetics that Kreeft and (dang I can't think of his name) wrote. Again, it's solidly Christian, but not denomination specific. It does address the very questions you are asking. It does not poo-poo them and deals with them intelligently and honestly. But you need to get into the habit of real prayer first. You MUST read the Conversation book first.

Edited by jasJis

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Aug 7 2005, 06:33 PM']yea, its certainly much easier to believe in god if you are happy.
[right][snapback]676324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think God can be proven [i]a priori[/i] and emotional state has nothing to do with logical acceptance of God's existence, though it may affect the ease or difficulty of psychological acceptance.