An Old School Catholic Message Board

remarriage after death

Laudate_Dominum

cmotherofpirl

God does not ask us to live in the past, but the here and now.

It will never be the same as your first love, but then you are not the same person as you were then either.

If He sends a new love your way, why would you refuse a gift?

I never want to be too old to fall in love :)

The procreative part of marriage just doesn't seem to be fulfilled if you're old and crusty, though. It would seem that you would do just as well being really good friends if you're elderly.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='scardella' date='Aug 5 2005, 08:11 PM']The procreative part of marriage just doesn't seem to be fulfilled if you're old and crusty, though.  It would seem that you would do just as well being really good friends if you're elderly.
[right][snapback]674265[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's alright. Marriage is still a good and holy thing. It's not like they did something to make themselves infertile.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='scardella' date='Aug 5 2005, 09:11 PM']The procreative part of marriage just doesn't seem to be fulfilled if you're old and crusty, though.  It would seem that you would do just as well being really good friends if you're elderly.
[right][snapback]674265[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Define old and crusty. :D:
My dear old neighbor were still "relating" in their 80's.

Did you ever hear the saying about dying in bed at 99 with a smile on your face??

EWWW cmom :P: ;)

thanks for THAT mental picture :blush: :lol:

although, God willing, that will be me :sweat:

Edited by kateri05

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 6 2005, 01:51 PM']Define old and crusty. :D:
My dear old neighbor were still "relating" in their 80's.

Did you ever hear the saying about dying in bed at 99 with a smile on your face??
[right][snapback]675192[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, thankfully... and I don't want to know how you know they were still "relating" in their 80's.

Call me naïve, but I thought once you got to a certain age, stuff just stopped working, hence, old and crusty.

Laudate_Dominum

yeah.. that's uh.. a little too private for me.. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant. *shivers* eerrg

cmotherofpirl

After 60 years of marriage they were still very much in love, and quite pleased with themselves. :D:

Guest Eremite

[quote]The procreative part of marriage just doesn't seem to be fulfilled if you're old and crusty, though[/quote]

The procreative dimension is not limited solely to the ability to procreate. Procreation is the primary END, but not the MEANING, of the conjugal union. An elderly couple still fulfills the essential ends of the marital act by expressing themselves in a self giving way, without hindering the expression of the flesh (eg, with a prophylactic).

Although mutual abstinence is certainly a possibility, the conjugal act does not lose its meaning in old age. It is, in the natural order, the supreme act of love between two people.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Aug 5 2005, 06:54 PM']God does not ask us to live in the past, but the here and now.

It will never be the same as your first love, but then you are not the same person as you were then either.

If  He sends a new love your way, why would you refuse a gift?

I never want to be too old to fall in love :)
[right][snapback]674140[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Cmom is right. Even though at this point I can't see myself ever falling in love with someone else, if Matt died I still wouldn't rule it out altogether.

As much as the idea of "old crusty people doing it" may be creepy or gross to us young folks, its still a beautiful testament of their love for one another. Though it wouldn't be procreative anymore (except by some miracle) the unitive aspect is never something to be looked down on or brushed aside. "They're old and they can't have kids anymore so they should just stop 'doing it'" is a ridiculous argument.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Eremite' date='Aug 7 2005, 07:17 PM']The procreative dimension is not limited solely to the ability to procreate. Procreation is the primary END, but not the MEANING, of the conjugal union. An elderly couple still fulfills the essential ends of the marital act by expressing themselves in a self giving way, without hindering the expression of the flesh (eg, with a prophylactic).

Although mutual abstinence is certainly a possibility, the conjugal act does not lose its meaning in old age. It is, in the natural order, the supreme act of love between two people.
[right][snapback]676296[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hehe You beat me to it...

Laudate_Dominum

Wise words Katie.. hrmm.. but it's something I'd rather not have to think about until I get there. hehee.. j/k

IcePrincessKRS

Oh, I understand not wanting to think about it. lol Being young its kind of a foreign concept--my comments weren't directed at you specifically, I just put them out there as a general thought. But like I said, just because someone is old it doesn't mean that intercourse should be forbidden them.

cmotherofpirl

How old was Sara in the OT? :)

Just because your body is aging doesn't mean you lose your capacity or desire to have marital relations. While the idea may seem gross to young people, I can assure you the wrinkly alien population is still very much alive and well.

Edited by cmotherofpirl