An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roman Catholic?

ofpheritup

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 31 2005, 02:32 PM']RESPONSE:

These are your claims: hence not mine to defend.

The Church "belongs" to the laity, and the country to its citizenry. That shouldn't be such a difficult concept. :huh:
[right][snapback]666352[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
LOL, I don't think I've ever seen a post by you that wasn't argumentative. Just an observation. hehe
*expecting a clever counter-argument*

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 31 2005, 02:34 PM']LOL, I don't think I've ever seen a post by you that wasn't argumentative. Just an observation. hehe 
*expecting a clever counter-argument*
[right][snapback]666355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Please note that my posts are, what is termed in law, "responsive filings." In short, I am responding to the assertion presented. ;)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 31 2005, 02:41 PM']RESPONSE:

Please note that my posts are, what is termed in law, "responsive filings."  In short, I  am responding to the assertion presented. ;)
[right][snapback]666369[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[img]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gif[/img]

nerd. haha, j/k

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 31 2005, 02:32 PM']RESPONSE:

These are your claims: hence not mine to defend.

The Church "belongs" to the laity, and the country to its citizenry. That shouldn't be such a difficult concept. :huh:
[right][snapback]666352[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm basing my claims on your own words. You've spent over half a year arguing against most of the core Catholic teachings (divinity of Christ, Christ's founding of a Church, the Papacy, truth of the Scriptures, etc., etc.) so I assumed your own claims represented what you actually beleived! (Or were you just lying to us?) If I am mistaken about this, pease correct me and enlighten me as to what you actually believe. Is there anything serious on which you actually [b]agree with [/b]the Church?

Why be a member of the Catholic Church laity anyway? I mean it's easy enough to just not be a part of the Church, or to join the Unitarians down the street. There's no law saying you have to be Catholic in this country!

C'mon, this is just more evasiveness and dodging the issues. :ohno:

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 31 2005, 03:05 PM']I'm basing my claims on your own words.  You've spent over half a year arguing against most of the core Catholic teachings (divinity of Christ, Christ's founding of a Church, the Papacy, truth of the Scriptures, etc., etc.) so I assumed your own claims represented what you actually beleived! (Or were you just lying to us?)  If I am mistaken about this, pease correct me and enlighten me as to what you actually believe.  Is there anything serious on which  you actually [b]agree with [/b]the Church?

Why be a member of the Catholic Church laity anyway?  I mean it's easy enough to just not be a part of the Church, or to join the Unitarians down the street.  There's no law saying you have to be Catholic in this country!

C'mon, this is just more evasiveness and dodging the issues.  :ohno:
[right][snapback]666393[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONES:

Your post is contradictory. How am I being evasive if, as you claim, I've already posted my beliefs? And which, of course, you've failed to rebut with evidence! ;)

(However, contradiction is very common in Catholicism, as I've often pointed out). ;) :blush:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 31 2005, 02:46 PM'][img]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gif[/img]

nerd. haha, j/k
[right][snapback]666372[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSIVE:

Thank you for your valuable input to the discussion. ;)

American Catholic is whatever you want to call it. I'd think of American Catholics as Catholics who are more flexible with the liturgy. Lifeteen usually comes to mind. Not neccisarily a bad thing though. I don't think of "American Catholics" as a use for Cafeteria Catholics or unorthodox Catholics. Those are everywhere. I don't see any problem with this phrase. For all I care the people could be saying I'm a Catholic living in America.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 30 2005, 05:05 PM']I like to tell people that I don't necessarily consider myself Roman Catholic.  :P:

I doubt Todd would call him self such.  :P:
[right][snapback]665720[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are correct.

I am Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Aug 1 2005, 02:45 PM']You are correct.

I am Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic.
[right][snapback]667463[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am Byzentine Melkite Catholic. Isnt that just juicy?

When I hear American Catholic, I think of Catholics (Roman, Byzantine, whatever) who are geographically located in America.

The only problem is that broadcasters use this term thinking that as Americans, they can vote on Church teaching, procedure, stance on social issues, etc. :wacko:

I've read of several different movements within the Catholic Church:

Independent Catholic Church
Old Catholic Church
American Catholic Church
Contemporary Catholic Church
and others, the name of which I can't recall.

I think during the last several months especially during the election of BXVI, the was were many references to the American Catholics as sort of a pejorative term, not as a reference to the established American Catholic Church. I really didn't follow this too closely.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Aug 2 2005, 05:35 PM']I've read of several different movements within the Catholic Church:

Independent Catholic Church
Old Catholic Church
American Catholic Church
Contemporary Catholic Church
and others, the name of which I can't recall.

I think during the last several months especially during the election of BXVI, the was were many references to the American Catholics as sort of a pejorative term, not as a reference to the established American Catholic Church.  I really didn't follow this too closely.
[right][snapback]668901[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There are a load of them. I used to have a link to some 30 or so in a list. They aren't really [i]in[/i] the Church, and I don't know of any that claim to be. They are openly "independent" of the Vatican.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 30 2005, 04:41 PM']During the Pope's election I got tired of being referred to as an AMERICAN Catholic.  I'm not.  That is all. That's enough.

I just want to see what others think and feel about it..
[right][snapback]665633[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are Catholic FIRST, then you are an american.

i remember once I showed my flags to one of my firends, of course, two flags - one of Canada, and one of the Vatican. He asked me which one came first, "This one, no doubt, no question." showing him the Vatican flag.

He laughed... :ohno:

Oh well, at least I know wehre my priorities stand, unlike seemingly 90% of everyone else around me. ^_^

Tbh I'm proud to be distinguished as an American regardless of which realm the sub-category is cut from. I know a lot of people might see that as a bad thing but hey, I love this country. :twist:

Btw, is the American Catholic Church a break-away outfit or what?

EDIT: Apparently it is.

Edited by hierochloe