An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roman Catholic?

ofpheritup

During the Pope's election I got tired of being referred to as an AMERICAN Catholic. I'm not. That is all. That's enough.

I just want to see what others think and feel about it..

Edited by ofpheritup

mariology21

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 30 2005, 05:41 PM']During the Pope's election I got tired of being referred to as a American Catholic.  I'm not. That is all.

I just want to see what others think.
[right][snapback]665633[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree. We are one, holy, Catholic and apostoic Church. To me, that means we are Roman Catholic. We aren't divided up into various "denominations" that each have a different "title."

Whenever I hear the term "American Catholic" I think of those who are not in total agreement with Rome. Those who are not quite orthodox. Those who want things to change or to conform to their way of thinking.

That's what I think anyway!

~Jen

cmotherofpirl

I consider myself Catholic, currently Latin rite. The only other word I want connected to my name is faithful :)

I like to tell people that I don't necessarily consider myself Roman Catholic. :P:

I doubt Todd would call him self such. :P:

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 30 2005, 04:41 PM']During the Pope's election I got tired of being referred to as an AMERICAN Catholic.  I'm not.  That is all. That's enough.

I just want to see what others think and feel about it..
[right][snapback]665633[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE>

Perhaps you would want to read the Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII 22 Jan 1899: "Concerning Nw Opinions, Virtue, nature and Grace, with Regard to Americanism.

In sum, American Catholics are a group that need considerable watching since they are beginning to question the "party line."

"But, beloved son, in this present matter of which we are speaking, there is even a greater danger and a more manifest opposition to Catholic doctrine and discipline in that opinion of the lovers of novelty, according to which they hold such liberty should be allowed in the Church, that her supervision and watchfulness being in some sense lessened, allowance be granted the faithful, each one to follow out more freely the leading of his own mind and the trend of his own proper activity. They are of opinion that such liberty has its counterpart in the newly given civil freedom which is now the right and the foundation of almost every secular state. " ;)

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 30 2005, 08:41 PM']RESPONSE>

Perhaps you would want to read the Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII 22 Jan 1899:  "Concerning Nw Opinions, Virtue, nature and Grace, with Regard to Americanism.

In sum, American Catholics are a group that need considerable watching since they are beginning to question the "party line."

"But, beloved son, in this present matter of which we are speaking, there is even a greater danger and a more manifest opposition to Catholic doctrine and discipline in that opinion of the lovers of novelty, according to which they hold such liberty should be allowed in the Church, that her supervision and watchfulness being in some sense lessened, allowance be granted the faithful, each one to follow out more freely the leading of his own mind and the trend of his own proper activity. They are of opinion that such liberty has its counterpart in the newly given civil freedom which is now the right and the foundation of almost every secular state. " ;)
[right][snapback]665739[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
"Americanism" as it was called was prevelent in the 1800's. It was a heretical standpoint that Catholicism should be watered down in order to attract converts in the US. Don't listen to Les, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

MissScripture

[quote name='mariology21' date='Jul 30 2005, 04:45 PM']I agree. We are one, holy, Catholic and apostoic Church. To me, that means we are Roman Catholic. We aren't divided up into various "denominations" that each have a different "title."

Whenever I hear the term "American Catholic" I think of those who are not in total agreement with Rome. Those who are not quite orthodox. Those who want things to change or to conform to their way of thinking.

That's what I think anyway!

~Jen
[right][snapback]665636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree. I think that also has something to do with the fact that it is generally the people who aren't in total agreement with Rome who referr to the Catholic Churches in America as the American Catholics. But it bothers me. Alot.

[quote name='MissScripture' date='Jul 30 2005, 11:57 PM']
I think that also has something to do with the fact that it is generally the people who aren't in total agreement with Rome who referr to the Catholic Churches in America as the American Catholics.  But it bothers me. Alot.
[right][snapback]665922[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If they don't agree with the Church I wish they would just leave, and let the door hit them when they do. :shock:

"I'll be more than happy to provide the door." :shock: :shock:

[quote name='kateri05' date='Jul 30 2005, 10:22 PM']what does the winky face even MEAN in that context? :huh:
[right][snapback]665842[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Probably reflective of an appraisal of some papal thought. ;)

[quote name='thedude' date='Jul 30 2005, 10:40 PM']"Americanism" as it was called was prevelent in the 1800's.  It was a heretical standpoint that Catholicism should be watered down in order to attract converts in the US.  Don't listen to Les, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
[right][snapback]665868[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

The real question, of course, is did Pope Leo XIII know what he was talking about. He wrote it, not me. ;)

And his predecessor Pope Pius IX absolutely condemned the following concept in his Syllabus of Errors:

"15. Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which, guided by the light of reason, he shall consider true. -- Allocution "Maxima quidem," June 9, 1862; Damnatio "Multiplices inter," June 10, 1851."

So you can see why Leo XIII was uncomfortable with "Americanism." :unsure:

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 31 2005, 05:48 AM']If they don't agree with the Church I wish they would just leave, and let the door hit them when they do. :shock:

"I'll be more than happy to provide the door."  :shock:  :shock:
[right][snapback]666034[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

"Love it or leave it" :unsure: Or "Change it or lose it."??? :idontknow:

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 31 2005, 06:10 AM']RESPONSE:

"Love it or leave it"  :unsure:  Or "Change it or lose it."???  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]666038[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Personally, I have no desire to be part of a religion or organization I don't believe in. And what do you want to change the Church into? A club for atheists or agnostics? (Don't those already exist?)

And since you believe the Catholic Church to be based on fictions and falsehoods, why the obsession with this Church and with "changing" it? Why not become Muslim or Buddhist and try to remake those religions in your own image? :wacko: :wacko:

What's the point?

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 31 2005, 02:17 PM']Personally, I have no desire to be part of a religion or organization I don't believe in.  And what do you want to change the Church into?  A club for atheists or agnostics?  (Don't those already exist?)

And since you believe the Catholic Church to be based on fictions and falsehoods, why the obsession with this Church and with "changing" it?  Why not become Muslim or Buddhist and try to remake those religions in your own image?  :wacko:  :wacko:

What's the point?
[right][snapback]666340[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

These are your claims: hence not mine to defend.

The Church "belongs" to the laity, and the country to its citizenry. That shouldn't be such a difficult concept. :huh: