An Old School Catholic Message Board

east and west and marriage

Aloysius

But I think you missed the point that he wasn't going to answer because it didn't affect him. He doesn't care in that I don't care that the East uses leavened.

Qfnol,

The citation is not relevant here (I am guessing it's Redemptionis Sacramentum?) It is specifically directed to Latin legislation. The Eastern Churches have their own Code of Canon Law to abide by. The use of leavened or unleavened bread, like the use of Latin or Greek, is a matter of Liturgical custom.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 9 2005, 05:46 PM']But I think you missed the point that he wasn't going to answer because it didn't affect him.  He doesn't care in that I don't care that the East uses leavened.
[right][snapback]717428[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're missing the point.

The issue is not whether the Priest is the minister of the Sacrament in the East. This is plainly evident, as I've already explained.

The issue is the implication that this form is intrinsically necessary. It's not.

If Apotheoun claimed, for example, that leavened bread is intrinsically necessary to the Sacrament (as opposed to Liturgically necessary), it would be equally erroneous. The use of leavened bread in the East is Liturgical custom. Because the Church accepts the use of unleavened bread, we know that both forms are legitimate, and neither of them are intrinsically necessary.

In like manner, the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony can be celebrated with or without a priest. The Eastern Churches always use a priest. The West doesn't. So long as we recognize that neither of these forms are intrinsically necessary (that is, it is legitimate to always use a Priest or to sometimes not use one), the two lungs of the Church are harmonized.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Sep 9 2005, 05:55 PM']So you're wanting to know what he thinks of Latin marriages?
[right][snapback]717447[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what he (or I) thinks about Latin marriages. All that matters is what the Universal Church thinks.

The only reason I asked what he thinks is to figure out whether he concurs with the Universal Church.