An Old School Catholic Message Board

Falling in Love

Semalsia

A few years back I read a beautiful definition of love, and I mean love between two people:

"Love is the total commitment to the wellbeing of another person"

I think this pretty much covers all human interactions.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 31 2005, 12:43 AM'][img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/KsSmilies/religion%20afterlife%20random%20zapping/Christian%20religious/crosseo.gif[/img]
[right][snapback]665946[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
whats with the lil prayin guy? :huh:

[quote name='scardella' date='Jul 30 2005, 04:57 PM']From what I gather from JPII, CS Lewis and lots of chatting, in my limited knowledge:

This is in regards to romantic love... "Falling in love" is not actually love itself.  Properly speaking, one recognizes a good in the other, then desires that good.  What we call "falling in love" is properly an infatuation or emotional response based on that apprehension of the good.  It creates a fertile ground for love, [i]per se[/i], to grow.  Loving is an act where one wills the good of the beloved. 

The expressions of it are different based on the status of the relationship.  Romantic relationships tend to express themselves in progressively deeper ways.  Trying to go further than is appropriate, physically or emotionally, actually tends to destroy love, as does lacking. 

Ok, enough of the brain-speak.  Romantic love is wonderful.  It's a beautiful aspect of God's Creation.  I just hope to be appropriately patient with God for that girl I will eventually share sacramental love with...

It seems like a love relationship is like digging a well.  After the first few strokes of a shovel, it's easy to pour water in and have it overflow.  However, it's just as easy to fill it back up with dirt and go looking for another spot to dig a well.  As your well is driven deeper and deeper, it gets harder to get it to overflow, but it is far less ravaged by dry spells and it contains much more water.  Eventually, if you dig deep enough, you find that it will spring up with waters of its own.  It is no longer just a container, but a source of water.  It becomes something that people will come from far and wide to drink of the waters of that deep, deep well.  It will survive drought and sun. 

Anyway, that's just a few thoughts...
[right][snapback]665642[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Excellent points. well done! ^_^

Love... that's my grandma...

She married my grandpa Wisdom back in, :bigthink: ., well a long time ago... :blink: I never keep dates, what are they good for anyways?

I asked grandma that same question, and she said something like; it s giving yourself totally in the other person, its forgetting one's self, its cinamen and apples at its best, and yadidadidadia... I never really listen to her either. The one thing i remember her saying is that wise men have gone insane trying to figure it out, guess that's why grandpa married her :wacko: .

My twin borther Sloth says he loves everyone, but he's too lazy to show it. Figures. <_<