An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rapture!

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

Okay, yes I am looking for an debate, I'll make no qualms about that. :cool:

I'm wondering for those of you who believe in the "Rapture" and believe in "Premill" as they say, if you could state where you believe the rapture is taught scripturally and how you came to the conclusion you did, and where you believe scripture teaches that there will be a 2000+ year wait between Christ's first advent and the establishment of His kingdom?

infinitelord1

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 26 2005, 09:50 AM']Okay, yes I am looking for an debate, I'll make no qualms about that.  :cool:

I'm wondering for those of you who believe in the "Rapture" and believe in "Premill" as they say, if you could state where you believe the rapture is taught scripturally and how you came to the conclusion you did, and where you believe scripture teaches that there will be a 2000+ year wait between Christ's first advent and the establishment of His kingdom?
[right][snapback]659453[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
interesting

well since i think i'm the only regular protestant on here right now, and i don't pretend to know much about eschatology, i guess you win the debate adam.

and you didn't even have to quote myriads of ECF's or the honorable Scott Hahn.

do you get a prize? :)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 26 2005, 04:44 PM']well since i think i'm the only regular protestant on here right now, and i don't pretend to know much about eschatology, i guess you win the debate adam.

[right][snapback]660131[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Good to see you're still posting. :)
I was away for a while. To this day whenever I see your name on here I call to mind the old dog (or wolf) avatar that I was so fond of. Whatever happened to that?

Oh, and Adam: lumberjack would debate in favour of that stuff. Is he still around?

[quote]Good to see you're still posting. :)[/quote]

Thanks man :)

[quote]I was away for a while. To this day whenever I see your name on here I call to mind the old dog (or wolf) avatar that I was so fond of. Whatever happened to that?[/quote]

Well I believe that was picture of a Husky, representing the college I just graduated from.... so I guess I'm moving on in life. Though I am going right back this year for full time campus ministry. Who woulda thought?

[quote]Oh, and Adam: lumberjack would debate in favour of that stuff. Is he still around?[/quote]

nah he hasn't been around in awhile. funny dude, i miss him.

Brother Adam

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 26 2005, 05:44 PM']well since i think i'm the only regular protestant on here right now, and i don't pretend to know much about eschatology, i guess you win the debate adam.

[right][snapback]660131[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Now that sounds bitter! ;)

And I don't think I've posted Hahn in...forever.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 26 2005, 05:12 PM']nah he hasn't been around in awhile. funny dude, i miss him.
[right][snapback]660169[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, me too. the lumberjack was one of my favourite peeps for sure.

Hope he's doing well.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 26 2005, 07:11 PM']Now that sounds bitter! ;)
And I don't think I've posted Hahn in...forever.
[right][snapback]660226[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

nah im just saying, you want to debate but ain't nobody around to debate.

and all i've done is familiarize myself with catholic debating style. i've never been burned by catholic debate.

besides... this --> :pinch: is bitter!

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 26 2005, 10:50 AM']Okay, yes I am looking for an debate, I'll make no qualms about that.  :cool:

[right][snapback]659453[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You expect to get much of a response from a Catholic forum? There aren't many rapture-believing users on here (except for mulls).

I have an image in my mind of [b]mulls[/b] trying to beat away a stampede of Catholics. :lol: Glad to have you here man.

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Jul 26 2005, 06:35 PM']You expect to get much of a response from a Catholic forum?  There aren't many rapture-believing users on here (except for mulls).
[right][snapback]660247[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Paladin, dearest, Catholics believe in the Rapture :)

[quote]
What’s the Catholic Position?

As far as the millennium goes, we tend to agree with Augustine and, derivatively, with the amillennialists. The Catholic position has thus historically been "amillennial" (as has been the majority Christian position in general, including that of the Protestant Reformers), though Catholics do not typically use this term. The Church has rejected the premillennial position, sometimes called "millenarianism" (see the Catechism of the Catholic Church 676). In the 1940s the Holy Office judged that premillennialism "cannot safely be taught," though the Church has not dogmatically defined this issue.

With respect to the rapture, Catholics certainly believe that the event of our gathering together to be with Christ will take place, though they do not generally use the word "rapture" to refer to this event (somewhat ironically, since the term "rapture" is derived from the text of the Latin Vulgate of 1 Thess. 4:17—"we will be caught up," [Latin: rapiemur]).  [/quote]

[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp"]The Rapture ( Catholic.com )[/url]

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 26 2005, 07:41 PM']Paladin, dearest, Catholics believe in the Rapture :)
[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Rapture.asp"]The Rapture ( Catholic.com )[/url]
[right][snapback]660257[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

DOH!

I know that, but I thought he was referring to just the pre-trib version.

When most people talk about the "Rapture" they think the "Left Behind" way. As if every "real" Christian will be taken up and not go through the tribulations. Which is dead wrong, and one does not have to go outside the bible to show it, Christ Himself proves it wrong....

[b]St. Mark 13:19 [/b]
[color=red]For those times will have tribulation such as has not been since the beginning of God's creation until now, nor ever will be. [/color]
[b]20 [/b][color=red]If the Lord had not shortened those days, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect whom he chose, he did shorten the days. [/color]

If the "Left Behind" Rapture was true, then there would be no elect to shorten the days for.

The only harmony in Scripture interpretation can be found in the Catholic Church.

God Bless,
ironmonk

my simple thoughts on the matter are that in scripture we are consistently admonished to 'be ready,' because of the hope of the return of our Lord.

i like the pre-mil view in provides believers a reason to 'be ready,' (not that we should have any more reason besides loving God) keeping ourselves holy, so that we are always in a state of readiness for Christ's return.

i personally never heard of anyone who used this view as comfort for never having to endure any pain and suffering for God's name.

historically God's children have been the most reviled people on earth, and whether the rapture supercedes this fact or not, His children should be willing to go through any tribulation at any time for His glory.

that's about all i got unless people are going to start nitpicking.

phatcatholic

what about wittle lessy-wessy, i wonder what he ba-weaves ;)

(hehe, just pickin on ya bro, all in good fun :))