An Old School Catholic Message Board

health

Aloysius

okay, now I know we should take care of ourselves and respect our bodies and everything... but I want to know to what extent are we required to pay attention to our health?

for example, I was thinking the other day: if I were to have some incurable fatal disease I probably would rather just not want to know about it... when I die I die you know?

so to what extent could a faithful Catholic follow a philosophy in regards to his health of 'sera, sera.' ('what will be, will be.')? like not do unhealthy things unnecessarily... but just living normally without going to the doctor when you get sick and without measuring out and portioning vitamans and health foods and such...?

what say you?

JP2Iloveyou

Hi everyone. I haven't been on here in quite some time. I have been busy teaching a youth catechesis program called Totus Tuus. It is a truly wonderful program that I recommend to all. Anyway, good question. My two cents...

God created human beings to be a composite of body and soul. Therefore, to the extent we do not take care of our bodies, we are also not taking care of our souls. It seems to me that we have a moral obligation to try and eat right, to engage in regular exercise, and to obtain needed medication (obviously assuming that the technology which led to the development of said medicine was moral and ethical).

mariology21

[quote name='JP2Iloveyou' date='Jul 24 2005, 06:26 PM']God created human beings to be a composite of body and soul.  Therefore, to the extent we do not take care of our bodies, we are also not taking care of our souls.  It seems to me that we have a moral obligation to try and eat right, to engage in regular exercise, and to obtain needed medication (obviously assuming that the technology which led to the development of said medicine was moral and ethical).
[right][snapback]657366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm in agreement with this. As long as we don't ignore our health, we're good. In order for our souls to be healthy we need our bodies to be healthy and vice versa. For everything to work well togther, "everything" needs to be taken care of!

~Jen

yeah, but I'm wondering how far we have to cooperate with doctors and stuff.

I mean my uncle died at 104... drank nearly every day of his life (at least I'm sure his adult life) (except the day he died) and never went to a doctor.

like, is there a certain extent where we can take the philosophy of what will be will be and not worry about it... like I said if I had a terminal illness that was incurable, I'd rather just never find out about it and just die one day from it. and stuff like dieting and trying to get the right amount of vitamens or food groups in and stuff just annoys me to no end... it just seems so unnatural to me. I mean, I would rather let my simple hunger instincts and taste buds guide what I eat, that's the way people did it for thousands of years.

mariology21

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 25 2005, 03:10 AM']like, is there a certain extent where we can take the philosophy of what will be will be and not worry about it... like I said if I had a terminal illness that was incurable, I'd rather just never find out about it and just die one day from it.  and stuff like dieting and trying to get the right amount of vitamens or food groups in and stuff just annoys me to no end... it just seems so unnatural to me.  I mean, I would rather let my simple hunger instincts and taste buds guide what I eat, that's the way people did it for thousands of years.
[right][snapback]657933[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I could have written this paragraph. That's basically how I go through life. I feel that as long as I feel good and am keeping my body as healthy as I can doing just the "normal" stuff then I'm doing pretty good! And I agree with the terminal illness part too.

~Jen

homeschoolmom

Yes, but for thousands of years people weren't tempted to eat stuff loaded with corn syrup and fat.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 25 2005, 08:11 AM']Don't be scrupulous and don't be careless...
[right][snapback]657948[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Agreed. We should take care of ourselves but not necessarily be obsessive about it.

:D:

I know a certain girl I used to date who would be absolutely disgusted by that last paragraph you agreed with, mariology... :lol: but anyway, yeah

as regards the fat and corn syrup, I mean if you want there's no problem just avoiding all that stuff or whatever, but personally I include this as just really stuff that doesn't matter to me that much. of course I have this super high motabolism that allows me to eat a ton and stay skinny so I suppose I understand why other people want to worry more about that. (I always joke that all the pepsi I drink is what speeds up my matobolism)

homeschoolmom

Unfortunitely, I am a corn syrup addict... :drpepper:

And I agree with not making a big deal-- just choose carefully. I also used to be a high motablism person who, up until this summer, never ever ever cared about weight. I have a couple of pounds that won't go away... >:(

So, Aloyisius know-it-all... just wait until YOU start having babies... :P:

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Is it bad that I am addicted to a wide variety of international and domestic sausages?

mariology21

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:29 PM']:D:

I know a certain girl I used to date who would be absolutely disgusted by that last paragraph you agreed with, mariology... :lol: but anyway, yeah

[right][snapback]658294[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know my sister would be disgusted with that last paragraph I agreed with too!! :D: Actually she's always disgusted with me when I talk like that. She's one to stand in the grocery store aisle for 20 minutes with two boxes of something in her hand looking them up and down trying to figure out which one is "healthier" and she's constantly harping on having to eat healthy etc. She doesn't enjoy food!!!! I think you can take this "healthy" stuff to the extreme. (Not that I'm saying go out and eat all the junk you can get your hands on either.)

~Jen

White Knight

According to Sacred Scripture, in many recorded accounts, Our Body is God's Temple, the Temple of the Holy Spirit, and we were bought at a price, and we sould treat our bodies well, for the Lord. because.

Part of 1 Corithians 6:13 "Foods for stomach, and stomach for foods, but God shall destroy both it and them, [b]Now the body is not for sexual immorality, but the Body is for the Lord, and Lord for the Body.[/b]"

Also if I remember correctly theres something about if you destroy God's Temple He shall Destroy You. or something.

The Basic answer is yes, we sould take care of our bodies, I'm sure everyone knows that, but how many of us actually do that?

With today, its hard to do that.

I'd think we should make a significant effort to eat as healthy as we can, though without being overly scrupulous and overdoing it.
I mean it isn't that hard to cut out some of the junk food, and if in doing that we can save money, seems like a good thing to do.