An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Old is the Earth?

MC Just

Laudate_Dominum

based on radiometric dating of rock on earth the earliest we get is around 3.9 billion years. But there are methods of Isochron/radiometric dating of meteorite groups that suggest the earth was formed more like 4.5 billion years ago. But it's hard to say with much precision.

I would hold to roughly 4.5 billion years though.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:54 AM']based on radiometric dating of rock on earth the earliest we get is around 3.9 billion years. But there are methods of Isochron/radiometric dating of meteorite groups that suggest the earth was formed more like 4.5 billion years ago. But it's hard to say with much precision.

I would hold to roughly 4.5 billion years though.
[right][snapback]655540[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Interesting, but you know, if you had a Borg sphere you could create a temporal vortex by emitting chronometric particles and go back to the exact moment when the earth came into existence.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 05:56 AM']Interesting, but you know, if you had a Borg sphere you could create a temporal vortex by emitting chronometric particles and go back to the exact moment when the earth came into existence.
[right][snapback]655541[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
LOL! That would be sweet. :)

The datings methods used are actually really clever. But for the record I certainly don't give them religious assent. They just make sense. If science finds out that they goofed and the earth is only 1 billion years old, or maybe it's 67 billion years old, it doesn't really matter to me. In a way, who cares. hehe

Noel's angel

according to the Paul Simon song 'Old':

'The human race has walked the earth for 2.7 million
And we estimate the universe at 13-14 billion'

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jul 23 2005, 06:18 AM']according to the Paul Simon song 'Old':

[right][snapback]655550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's funny. I imagine most books will support my view (official science books). I'm really not making this up. Although it is hard to disagree with Paul. :)
He should read: Scientific American v261 p90(6) August, 1989.

hehe

Laudate_Dominum

I must note that there are some interesting arguments for the young earth (6-10,000 years), but I've never been quite interested enough to really get deep into the arguments. The dating that I mentioned in my previous post is pretty darn compelling, and the young earth arguments just don't seem as solid. (Not to mention there is a mountain of evidence against an age merely in the thousands).

Here's a link to some young earth arguments just to give the other side:
[url="http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/young_earth.html"]http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/young_earth.html[/url]

I was just talking with some friends about how I don't trust the dating systems... we were talking about how they apparently grossly overestimated how long fossil fuels take to come about with such dating methods and that ACTUALLY some oil fields have begun to replenish themselves (apparently, it might only take a couple hundred years for fossil fuels to be formed)... and then the Shroud's dating that ended up being in complete error...

romantically I like the idea of the young earth... with evidence I really have yet to be convinced by either side... :huh:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:46 AM']I must note that there are some interesting arguments for the young earth (6-10,000 years), but I've never been quite interested enough to really get deep into the arguments. [. . .]
Here's a link to some young earth arguments just to give the other side:
[url="http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/young_earth.html"]http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/young_earth.html[/url]
[right][snapback]655559[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not all that interested in the "young" earth theories either.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I don't trust the dates put forth for the appearance of humans so I distrust the dates for the age of the earth. I don't see how modern man was around for 40,000 years but only started doing stuff for the last 8,000 or so.

JMJ
7/23 - St. Apollinaris of Ravenna

The Earth was made on Wednesday, 23 October, in 4550 BC (or some year similar to that). At least that's what a Baptist minister said from the stand during the Scopes Monkey Trial. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Noel's angel' date='Jul 23 2005, 06:18 AM']according to the Paul Simon song 'Old':

[right][snapback]655550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have to strongly disagree with you Noel's Angel. Quoting Simon from another song he's famous for

[quote]Don't know much about history, don't know much biology. Don't know much about a science book, don't know much about the French I took."[/quote]

Granted he's quoting Sam Cooke but he sounds sincere..