An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time travel

infinitelord1

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 24 2005, 07:43 AM']Cool. I just need to develop a warp drive real quick.. that's plausible. :)
[right][snapback]656756[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Or you can send them a signal by creating an interplexing beacon and then attach that to a subspace array.

:cyborg:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:57 AM']Or you can send them a signal by creating an interplexing beacon and then attach that to a subspace array.

:cyborg:
[right][snapback]656770[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol:

:dancer1: :dancer2:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 24 2005, 07:59 AM']:dancer1:  :dancer2:
[right][snapback]656772[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I really think that the dancing smileys should be called "drunkard1" and "drunkard2."

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:43 AM']Cool. I just need to develop a warp drive real quick.. that's plausible. :)
[right][snapback]656756[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I thought clear aluminium was important too....

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jul 24 2005, 10:17 AM']only if you're bringing humback whales with you....
[right][snapback]656905[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
"There be whales here!"

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:19 AM']I just need to build a time machine and go forward in time a couple centuries, retrieve the borg technology, and travel back to our own time.. Hmm.. I feel like I'm missing something here..
[right][snapback]656728[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Just make sure the dematerialization circuit on the Tardis is working properly, and steer clear of Daleks......

Seriously, the Catechism links the "desire for power over time" to the occult. See CCC 2116.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 24 2005, 12:32 PM']"There be whales here!"
[right][snapback]656923[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ahh, yes, another classic Scotty quote.

"Admiral! Thar be whales here!"

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Jul 24 2005, 10:32 AM']Just make sure the dematerialization circuit on the Tardis is working properly, and steer clear of Daleks......
[right][snapback]656924[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
T.A.R.D.I.S (Time and Relative Dimensions in Space)

Laudate_Dominum

That makes sense. Christ is the master of time and the Lord of history. Pursuing time travel does seem to go against God, when you think about it. Fortunately it isn't possible anyway.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jul 23 2005, 07:28 PM']JMJ
7/23 - St. Apollinaris of Ravenna

I was joking, but if you're going to take me seriously and try to answer me, then answer one thing at a time.  If time isn't a measurement of change, then what is it?  Second, what part of that definition allows time to run backwards?
[right][snapback]656105[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Time is simply a diminsion like depth. As for what allows it to run backwards--- There is nothing which prevents it from running backwards just like you can go from right to left and from left to right.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Jul 24 2005, 07:23 AM']When the discussion turned to reverse time arrows I also immediately thought of Feynman diagrams. One theory of time indeed is that we are merely projecting our idea of time, that it is an interpretation and that forward causality is no more correct than a reverse view of time. But that is academic.
Back to the grandfather paradox. You have confirmed it. Essentially the grandfather paradox shows that you CANNOT change the past, as you pointed out. And if you cannot change the past, then you cannot go back in time in any substantial sense. Therefore the grandfather paradox shows that timetravel is impossible. That is why they call it a paradox, because it is impossible. If some situation results in a paradox, then you deduce that the situation is impossible.
And your last statement "the past is still happening" is a bit obscure for me. Care to elaborate how that differs from the way the present is still happening? Or how we cannot change something that is happening?
I don't think you are being imaginative enough, Don. Saying that you can't change the past because it has already happened is obvious. Saying how it differs from space is the question. One can move things in space as much as one wants. It doesn't suffice to say that you can't move an object because the object is there. Nor does it suffice to say that you can't change the past because it is already past. That begs the question and is like saying that you can't change the past because you can't change the past. Yes, but why? Why can't you reverse time's arrow? What makes time unidirectional but not any other dimension?
[right][snapback]656639[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No not being able to change the past does not prevent your active participation in it, if one goes back in time then one has always been back in time and the events that played out played out as they did with your involvment. Moving an object is not like affecting the past, they are not analgous. okay look at it this way, you are at point R on the timeline, you want to go back to point point C on the timeline, so you get in the great space and time translocating devise and poof you are at point C in history, now here is the trick you are at point C in history, this is not a second passing for point C but the actual point C, now are here in this point and time, what ever you do history will turn out exactly as you remember it because history did turn out just as you remember it because you have always been here at point C in history and will always be here at point C in history, now if you pop back to to point R after you have done been at point C nothing will have changed because nothing in time has changed, you went back and where at point C, just like point C happened, it had happened that way before you went back because in fact you where actually there. And so I say agian you cannot go back and kill your grandfather because you didn't kill your grandfather. it equally applys for your parents or yourself.

That the past is still happpening is not obscure at all; I have already explained that according to realitivity theory everything that happened or will happen is happening. That while we precieve only the NOW the whole of temporal existance does infact exist. Now reversing times arrow is a differant thing all together littlerally going backward in time is theoreticly possible however one would have to reverse that apparant flow for the entire universe for it to be useful.

i'm gonna have to stick with a borg-sphere theory of time travel. or, you have to meet Q. he can do ANYTHING ;)