An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time travel

infinitelord1

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:36 AM']hehe, I will admit that I' ve never been particularly proud of Augustine on this topic. hehe
I should like to meet Mr. Peter Brown. What is his deal? Is he a new prof (I haven't heard of him), or is he some kind of masters student?

Go raibh mile maith agat.. :)
[right][snapback]655555[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
He's in the MA in theology program. He wrote the paper for the grad level course on St. Augustine two semesters ago.

Laudate_Dominum

there are too many paradoxes involved with the notion of time travel. Although, spiritual time travel may be possible... thinkin...

p.s. Thanks Apotheoun

not to inturupt but if I could travel back in time I would kidnap hugh heffner when he was a boy and lock him up for the rest of his life so he couldnt start playboy :-d

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='curtins' date='Jul 23 2005, 10:16 AM']not to inturupt but if I could travel back in time I would kidnap hugh heffner when he was a boy and lock him up for the rest of his life so he couldnt start playboy :-d
[right][snapback]655662[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that's brilliant. I would send him to Legionaries school or something. haha

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 23 2005, 01:22 AM']i dont know if there has ever been a thread about time travel on phatmass before. .
[right][snapback]655403[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Liturgy is "timetravel". You are at calvary.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:50 AM']In the Eastern view God can be said to have "allowed" them to do what they did, but only in the sense that He gave the free will.

[right][snapback]655522[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Woulden't that be under God's contingent will?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 23 2005, 10:23 AM']The Liturgy is "timetravel".  You are at calvary.
[/quote]

Thanks for bringing that up. This supports my theory regarding the possibility of "spiritual time travel". But the 'Back to the Future" stuff is never going to happen. It would rupture the fabric of the space time continuum!!! heehe :)

[quote name='curtins' date='Jul 23 2005, 10:16 AM']not to inturupt but if I could travel back in time I would kidnap hugh heffner when he was a boy and lock him up for the rest of his life so he couldnt start playboy :-d
[right][snapback]655662[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i woulden't... i would just talk to him... and give him a copy of the theology of the body and lots of miraculous medals :lol: hehe- the "lock him up" type scenario is what caused him to rebel and create playboy in the first place... :P: ok- carry on

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 23 2005, 10:27 AM'] But the 'Back to the Future" stuff is never going to happen. It would rupture the fabric of the space time continuum!!! heehe :)
[right][snapback]655672[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 23 2005, 08:27 AM']Thanks for bringing that up. This supports my theory regarding the possibility of  "spiritual time travel". But the 'Back to the Future" stuff is never going to happen. It would rupture the fabric of the space time continuum!!! heehe :)
[right][snapback]655672[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree that it won't happen, unless of course someone builds a flux capacitor.

I have a theory distinctly distinct from all crazy movies.

see, the key to time travel is in TEMPERATURE.

okay,
so at 0 kelvin, molecules stop moving.
and at 0 pressure, there is a vaccum.

so if you were to get negative kelvin, molecules would begin to move backwards
and such a temperature would take you into negative pressure. clearly that would have the very structure of time-space collapsing in on itself, while 0 pressure is a vaccum thus negative pressure would create a wormhole.

so now you have a wormhole through which molecules travel backwards... THAT is the key to time travel.

Don John of Austria

Realitivity theory demands that everything that has ever existed, ever, des indeed exist, existance is, if you where having a great time at your last birthday party well you still are and will always be. If you step out and get hit by a truck well for all eternity you will be steping out in front of the truck. The universe IS according to the best that physics can provide( it actually reminded me a lot of Augustines Mind of God when I was studiying it) anyway, that means that it might be possible to go back in time, or forward in time, however it would be impossible to make any changes to it because if you went back in time you would have been there when the events occured, you couldn't change events from what happened because you would have helped make them happen, and what is well is. Serious cosmological physics is weird.

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 23 2005, 08:23 AM']Woulden't that be under God's contingent will?[/quote]
Here is what St. John Damascene said about this: "The first then is called God's antecedent will and pleasure, and springs from Himself, while the second is called God's consequent will and permission, and has its origin in us. And the latter is twofold; one part dealing with matters of guidance and training, and having in view our salvation, and the other being hopeless and leading to our utter punishment, as we said above. And this is the case with actions that are not left in our hands. But of actions that are in our hands the good ones depend on His antecedent goodwill and pleasure,[i] while the wicked ones depend neither on His antecedent nor on His consequent will, but are a concession to free will. For that which is the result of compulsion has neither reason nor virtue in it[/i]. God makes provision for all creation and makes all creation the instrument of His help and training, yea often even the demons themselves, as for example in the cases of Job and the swine." [St. John Damascene, [u]De Fide Orthodoxa[/u], book II, ch. 29]

Evil doesn't come from either God's antecedent or consequent will; in other words, evil has its source solely in man's own free will.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 23 2005, 11:55 AM']Realitivity theory demands that everything that has ever existed, ever, des indeed exist, existance is, if you where having a great time at your last birthday party well you still are and will always be. If you step out and get hit by a truck well for all eternity you will be steping out in front of the truck. The universe IS according to the best that physics can provide( it actually reminded me a lot of Augustines Mind of God  when I was studiying it) anyway, that means that it might be possible to go back in time, or forward in time, however it would be impossible to make any changes to it because if you went back in time you would have been there when the events occured, you couldn't change events from what happened because you would have helped  make them happen, and what is well is.  Serious cosmological physics is weird.
[right][snapback]655867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I still think that all you need is a Borg sphere.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 02:02 PM']I still think that all you need is a Borg sphere.
[right][snapback]655874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

lol

Just a detail the fiction writers always seem to forget in their time travel...

The earth moves at over 65,000 mph. It's never been in the same spot twice.

If you could move back in time, you'd wind up in open space. Ooops.