An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time travel

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

i dont know if there has ever been a thread about time travel on phatmass before. Me and friend have debated time travel in the past. I have always supported the idea that it is possible to travel through time. I dont know much about physics and theories and such but i have heard things about space and time distortions...........maybe they are just theories or science fiction or something. But that is why i supported time travel. He didnt agree with me..........he believed that you would have to be god to "travel" thjrough time. The other day he came up with a good theory and im convinced..........based on his belief in god however. He was saying that if you were able to travel through time that would mean that people who have already died would have to exist. That would meean that there would be 2 souls for each person from your point of view.

I was also thinking that if we could travel through time that its possible that there would be no people from your point of view. You may still see buildings and structures and such but that is it.

If you were able to travel through time and there were people i dont think there would be a god. If there were no people then i think that it woujld prove gods existence.

I dont know i just find this stuff interesting. Maybe its a stupid thread but it cant be the stupidest thread on phatmass...........the size enhancement thread still holds that title.

photosynthesis

I don't believe in time travel, but when I was little me and my friends would always play Time Machine. We had a little box that was our time machine (like Calvin and Hobbes) and one of us would travel through time, and everyone else would pretend like they were from the past, or the future. I miss playing Time Machine :(

Laudate_Dominum

I've yet to see anything very convincing regarding the possibility of time travel.

White Knight

Even if we could, we couldn't change anything. ya people say Free Will, but, you also gotta think of what HAD to Happen in God's Plan.

In a Way the The Past, Present, and Future is Already Written. Time itself is a Closed Book, where just waiting for the end. Yes Free WIll gives us choices I know.

But we as human beings we gotta figure out a Balance between Free Will, and What IS going to Happy According GOD Himself, reguardless of our own Free Will.

[b]There are Things Free Will CANNOT do.[/b]

But this is a different subject, just wanted to get that out of the way. lol.

[b]Time Travel I dont think is possible, even if we could, what would we do?[/b]

Edited by White Knight

Laudate_Dominum

I was at a sort of physics conference some years back and a pretty distinguished Danish physicist gave a presentation regarding a theory of the possibility of time travel. And I must note that this theory does not suggest anything even close to 'Back to the Future', but is basically just suggesting the possibility of going a moment or two back in time.
The poor fellow was totally blasted by the other physicists in attendance.
I'd be interested in reading things about it though.

White Knight

In theroy in order to travel back intime dont you have to travel faster than the speed of light?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:29 AM']In order to travel through time all you need is chronometric particles.
[right][snapback]655493[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
teehee, maybe in the Star Trek universe. :)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='White Knight' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:49 AM']In theroy in order to travel back intime dont you have to travel faster than the speed of light?
[right][snapback]655499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Again, this is based on Star Trek. hehe

[quote name='White Knight' date='Jul 23 2005, 01:49 AM']In theroy in order to travel back intime dont you have to travel faster than the speed of light?
[right][snapback]655499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That may be one way to do it, but a better way is to use a Borg sphere and create a temporal vortex by emitting chronometric particles.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:04 AM']That may be one way to do it, but a better way is to use a Borg sphere and create a temporal vortex by emitting chronometric particles.
[right][snapback]655505[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
teehee.. perhaps this will come true someday. hehe
if we use this technology for good, such as evangelization, I don't have a problem with it.

j/k. It's about as close to impossible as things get in this world.

Go back in time and convert Mohammad to Catholicism, and then go back and remove Martin Luther's 95 theses from the door of the Church at Wittenberg, thus preventing the Protestant Reformation, etc., etc., etc.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:27 AM']Go back in time and convert Mohammad to Catholicism, and then go back and remove Martin Luther's 95 theses from the door of the Church at Wittenberg, thus preventing the Protestant Reformation, etc., etc., etc.
[right][snapback]655509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Brilliant ideas! And I'll setup Calvin with a nice girl who will keep him busy so he won't bother with writing too much, which might get out of hand.
And I'll teach Henry VIII about the Theology of the Body and JP2's teachings about marriage and all that. That's the thing, all things happen for a reason within the Providence of God. Even the great heretics in the history of the Church have been there for a reason (even if it's beyond our grasp), I'd had to presume that I know what should have happened better than God.

That is presuming that God willed all of those heretics to be heretics. I don't believe He did. I really do like the Eastern view of predestination better than the views of the West. Predestination concerns nature, not persons.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:40 AM']That is presuming that God willed all of those heretics to be heretics.  I don't believe He did.  I really do like the Eastern view of predestination better that the views of the West.  Predestination concerns nature, not persons.
[right][snapback]655517[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wasn't implying anything of that sort. One might say God allowed them to be heretics, but certainly I would not assert that God positively wills heresy.

And I don't know what you're talking about at the end there.. The biblical view of predestination concerns persons.. But is this a trick?, nature and persons.. sounds like typical east/west quibbling and bibbling. hehe :P