An Old School Catholic Message Board

recieving from the cup

photosynthesis

photosynthesis
<_< I just got diagnosed with mononucleosis (mono) a few days ago and i honestly have no idea how I got it. People call mono "the kissing disease" because it's transmitted by the exchange of saliva. The trouble is, I don't kiss people, I don't share drinks with people, so the only way I can think of how I got it is by recieving from the Cup at Sunday Mass, which I've been doing for the past few weeks.

A lot of people criticize the Roman Catholic Church because we drink from the same Cup. They say it spreads germs and makes people sick. At the same time, it's silly (and probably illicit, since people throw those cups away) to hand out little individual plastic cups, so i am in no way advocating that, but i just wanted to know what people think. Edited by photosynthesis

maybe we should go eastern in that respect...although i am not paranoid about germs they do exist, lol

homeschoolmom

I don't know... I'm doubtful. However, during the SARS epidemic in Toronto, I believe receiving from the cup was prohibited...

photosynthesis

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 23 2005, 12:03 AM']maybe we should go eastern in that respect...although i am not paranoid about germs they do exist, lol
[right][snapback]655234[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
how do they do it in the Eastern Church?

photosynthesis

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 23 2005, 12:03 AM']maybe we should go eastern in that respect...although i am not paranoid about germs they do exist, lol
[right][snapback]655234[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
how do they do it in the Eastern Church?

intinction: they dip the host in the precious blood and serve it to you on a spoon, i believe. ask todd, he would know ;)

photosynthesis

[quote name='kateri05' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:17 AM']intinction: they dip the host in the precious blood and serve it to you on a spoon, i believe.  ask todd, he would know ;)
[right][snapback]655397[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
but they use leavened bread, right?

photosynthesis

[quote name='beata_virgo_maria' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:05 AM']Its Jesus's blood who really cares if you get sick, not to be rude :)
[right][snapback]655433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I honestly don't really care. Having mono smells of elderberries, and i feel like carp, but I sure won't be going to recieve from the cup this Sunday, unless I want all the people in my parish between the ages of 15 and 25 to get mono.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='beata_virgo_maria' date='Jul 23 2005, 02:05 AM']Its Jesus's blood who really cares if you get sick, not to be rude :)
[right][snapback]655433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The traditional way is cool because you receive from the priest, at the altar rail, and Communion is only in the form of the bread. Problem solved. :)

photosynthesis

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jul 23 2005, 04:11 AM']The traditional way is cool because you receive from the priest, at the altar rail, and Communion is only in the form of the bread. Problem solved. :)
[right][snapback]655439[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
well, problem with that is that some people have illnesses where they cannot recieve the Body of Christ and need to recieve the Blood....i.e. in cases like celiac disease and disorders where people cannot digest solid food.

I don't regret recieving from the cup but I'm almost certain it's how I got mono

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 23 2005, 12:15 AM']well, problem with that is that some people have illnesses where they cannot recieve the Body of Christ and need to recieve the Blood....i.e. in cases like celiac disease and disorders where people cannot digest solid food.

I don't regret recieving from the cup but I'm almost certain it's how I got  mono
[right][snapback]655442[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Reception from the chalice alone is also permitted, but it simply isn't the norm in the Roman Rite.

Babies and small children in the Byzantine Church normally receive communion only under the species of the wine, that is, unless it is clear that they can easily swallow solid food.

photosynthesis

if babies and children recieve Communion early on, when do they first go to Confession?

And there are some people who can't eat gluten, which is found in bread, and they can only receive the Precious Blood.