An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church, liturgy, Music

Oik

I have been pondering, when is pushing for reform too much?

I read New Oxford Review online as well as the Adoremus bulletin and EWTN Q and A.

How much is too much? As the laity (well some of us here), we can only do so much. It seems to me that NOR is too critical and that some others are not critical enough. It makes one a little schizo (sp).

I thank God for Francis Cardinal Arinze, Pope Benedict XVI, Pope John Paul the great, Bishop Thomas Olmstead (my Bishop), Father Feockler (the priest at the Miles Jesu mission in Phoenix), Father Robert Fox, EWTN and so many others that are faithful.

Really though, how much it too much push?

[quote name='Oik' date='Jul 20 2005, 01:29 PM']I have been pondering, when is pushing for reform too much?
I read New Oxford Review online as well as the Adoremus bulletin and EWTN Q and A.
How much is too much? As the laity (well some of us here), we can only do so much. It seems to me that NOR is too critical and that some others are not critical enough. It makes one a little schizo (sp).

I thank God for Francis Cardinal Arinze, Pope Benedict XVI, Pope John Paul the great, Bishop Thomas Olmstead (my Bishop), Father Feockler (the priest at the Miles Jesu mission in Phoenix), Father Robert Fox,  EWTN and so many others that are faithful.

[right][snapback]651194[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
it seems to me-
don't push just do- which i am sure you do
just BE the change you want to see in the worldBE the one in you church who gets the open music director spot- or the substitute director if u have the talent God gave it for this purpose to worship HIM at least with music...if youhave preists who go off the deep end ( around here its EVERY priest i know) write to the bishop, preists and be the one to change things...

however, i think it was st. josephina who said we should pray and fast for the preists for a time BEFORE we suggest/correct them-- that is very good i think

[quote]Can you be more specific?[/quote]

Sorry.

I mean things like music, beautification of the church, suggesting certain "optional" practices (ie. facing East, some Mass parts in Latin, ect), encouraging acolytes, deacons, and lectors, and others such things.

[quote]don't push just do

i think it was st. josephina who said we should pray and fast for the preists for a time BEFORE we suggest/correct them-- that is very good i think[/quote]

I agree! Thanks for they advice. Prayer and fasting are tremendous spiritual aids.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Oik' date='Jul 20 2005, 02:29 PM']I have been pondering, when is pushing for reform too much?

I thank God for Francis Cardinal Arinze, Pope Benedict XVI, Pope John Paul the great, Bishop Thomas Olmstead (my Bishop), Father Feockler (the priest at the Miles Jesu mission in Phoenix), Father Robert Fox,  EWTN and so many others that are faithful.

[right][snapback]651194[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How much is too much? When all the abuses have been reigned in, then we can stop pushing. We have a right to the Liturgy done properly. That is the jist of Redemptionis Sacramentum. We don't stop. We keep fighting the good fight. We call for action and we pray. We do whatever we can, in a charitable way, to bring change. We have the right, the priests have the duty, the bishops have the responsiblity to a decent Mass at every parish......It is universal, it is not particular.

in our local diocesan newspaper, an individual w/in the diocese spoke of the horizontal element of worship as being very, very important... i proceeded to respond to that and ended my answer to him with the notion that Catholics do not want medieval piety (he referred to orthodoxy as 'medieval piety'), "we just want a liturgy in strict conformity to the Sancrosanctum Concilium. we want Latin, Gregorian chant, polyphony, reverence, etc...

Thanks for the insight guys. I was just feelin' a little out and out about this. Sometimes a weary solider needs a little rest and revitalization so he can go back out again.

:)

lifeteenchick527

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='Jul 28 2005, 03:59 PM']do you mean wearing brettias too
[right][snapback]662991[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i still wear a mantilla (i think they are at least similar) and iam 16 :D:

God Bless
LTC :blowkiss:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Oik' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:52 PM']Sorry.

I mean things like music, beautification of the church, suggesting certain "optional" practices (ie. facing East, some Mass parts in Latin, ect), encouraging acolytes, deacons, and lectors, and others such things.
[right][snapback]651412[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My issues are on a diocesean level - we need better CCD and RCIA programs.