An Old School Catholic Message Board

The truth is in your heart

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

i have seen portraits of jesus pointing to his heart.........i think he may have made reference to this in scripture as well. I was thinking this may mean that the answer to god's existence is in our heart.......when we pray for things we notice changes in our heart perhaps.

No, actually, when Jesus is pointing to His Heart, He's doing so to show us all how much He loves us, which is infinitely so.

Yes, Jesus is pointing to His Sacred Heart, which was pierced for our sins.

Pure Love baby, Pure Love.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me when the heart became the vessel for feelings? I mean we all know that the heart is simply an organ that pumps blood. Was it too much at one point in history to admit that the mind is the center of all thought including feelings? Was it intentional that these to organs of the body should be separate vessels for human expression? Sort of perpetuating the duality theme that runs through Christianity as a whole. Just wondering. . . . :think: :think:

Dee Dee,

I'm not sure when the heart became "the vessel for feelings," as you put it, in the West. In other cultures and times, the bowels/belly were the source of feelings/emotions and the center of the person--a gut reaction! I'm guessing that metaphorically locating the emotions outside of the brain has less to do with dualism, and more to do with our ancestor's lack of understanding of all that goes on in the old brain box.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 19 2005, 10:15 PM']i have seen portraits of jesus pointing to his heart.........i think he may have made reference to this in scripture as well. I was thinking this may mean that the answer to god's existence is in our heart.......when we pray for things we notice changes in our heart perhaps.
[right][snapback]650550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i think yer on to something
thats a cool thought

Aristotle believed that the brain's function was to circulate and cool off the blood. Understanding of human anatomy was relatively late in coming -- post Renaissance, at least, although I don't have references around at the moment.

The heart as seat of thought and feeling is ancient, anyway. The New Advent article on the Sacred Heart is a good summary. [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07163a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07163a.htm[/url]

Edited by beautyon

[quote name='DeeDee' date='Aug 1 2005, 04:59 PM']Can anyone tell me when the heart became the vessel for feelings? I mean we all know that the heart is simply an organ that pumps blood. Was it too much at one point in history to admit that the mind is the center of all thought including feelings? Was it intentional that these to organs of the body should be separate vessels for human expression? Sort of perpetuating the duality theme that runs through Christianity as a whole. Just wondering. . . . :think:  :think:
[right][snapback]667662[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh please!

The heart has always been used to refer metaphorically to to one's inner feelings/character/disposition. These are qualities of the soul that do not exist in one part of the body. The heart is definitely central to the life of the body, and thus is a good metaphor for the seat of one's love and character. (The brain is associated with the intellect -head and heart.)

And what's this about "perpetuating the duality theme that runs through Christianity"?

Somehow I don't think the "Sacred Brain of Jesus" (nor the "Immaculate brain of Mary") would convey the same thing!!

God's Errand Girl

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Aug 1 2005, 09:16 PM']I love Thumper with all my bowels!
[right][snapback]667952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:biglol:

Soccer 15 SWC

[quote name='Socrates' date='Aug 1 2005, 09:29 PM']Oh please! 

The heart has always been used to refer metaphorically to to one's inner feelings/character/disposition.  These are qualities of the soul that do not exist in one part of the body.  The heart is definitely central to the life of the body, and thus is a good metaphor for the seat of one's love and character.  (The brain is associated with the intellect  -head and heart.)

And what's this about "perpetuating the duality theme that runs through Christianity"?

Somehow I don't think the "Sacred Brain of Jesus" (nor the "Immaculate brain of Mary") would convey the same thing!!
[right][snapback]668035[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thats what I was thinking. Its like if you would give your heart to someone so they can live then you die. So it would be a major sacrifice. So it is crazy important. And if you were to sacrifice it then you would show great love. So therefore makes it a good metaphor.

I hope that made sense.