An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus after the Resserection...

White Knight

White Knight

According to Sacred Scripture, Jesus was on this Earth for 40 days after the Resserection on that Faithful Sunday Morning.

My Question is

[b][color=blue]Does the Catholic Church have any references that aren't in the Bible to what Jesus was doing with the Disciples during this time? I think He was preparing them to do the [B]Will of the Father. [/b][/color][/B]

I ask this because there are things that aren't recorded in the Bible that actually took place.. and I'm preaparing to look outside the Bible for evidence.

Jesus was cruicifed on the cross on a Friday and died, Jesus Rose from the Dead on the Third Day.

This is recorded in the gospels.

Matthew 27:50 "And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up His Spirit."

Matthew 28:1 " Now After the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb."

Matthew 28:16-20 "Then the eleven disciples went away into Gailee, to the mountian which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doupted. And Jesus came and spoke saying, [[color=red][b]'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and The Holy Spirit teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always even to the end of the age.'[/b][/color] Amen."

Mark 15:37 "And Jesus Cried out with a loud voice and breathed His last."

Mark 16:9-19 " Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. She went and told those who had been with Him, as they mourned and wept. And when they heard that He was alive had been seen by her, they did not believe. After that He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country. And they went and told it to the rest, but they did them ethier. Later He Appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and the hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He has risen. And He said to them, [b][color=red]"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues, they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."[/color][/b]So then after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God."

Luke 23:44-46 "Now it was the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two. and when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice , He said [b][color=red]'Father, into your hands I commit My Spirit.' [/color][/b]having said this He breathed His last.

Luke 24:1-7 Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they and other certian women with them, came to the tomb bring spices which they had prepared. But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, then they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. And it happened, as they were greatly preplexed about this, that behold two men stood by them in shining garments. Then as they were afriad and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Gailee, saying [b]'[color=red] The Son of Man must be delievered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucifed, and the third day rise again.'"[/color] [/b]

Luke 24:36-39 "Now as they said these things Jesus, Himself appeared stood in the midst of them, and said to them, 'Peace to you.' But they were terrified and frightened, and supposted they had seen a spirit. and He said to them [b][color=red]'Why are you troubled? And Why do doupts arise in your hearts? Behold My hands and My feet, that is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.'"[/color][/b]

Luke 24:44-53 talk about Jesus revealing to the Disciples the prophecies of the Prophets, Laws and PSALMS of Him. Also His Ascension is included at the end of the chapter.

John 19:30 "He said [b][color=red]'It is Finished!'[/color] [/b]and bowing His head, He gave up His Spirit."

John 20:14-31 Jesus rises from the dead goes to the Disciples and such.

[color=green][b]Acts 1:1-3 "The former account I made, O theoplhilus of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up after He through the Holy Spirit gave commandments to the apostles whom His suffering by many infallible proofs, [[u]B]being seen by them during forty days [/b][/u] and speaking things pretaining to the kingdom of God."[/B][/color]

I would have typed out the paragraph from the Catechism to help support the question on this thread but I'm getting tired lol.

[b]God Bless You, Pax Christi.[/b]

Edited by White Knight

infinitelord1

i know that this doesnt have much to do with ur post and im sorry.....i will get back to it later........but this has been making me wonder lately........does all the teachings of the new testament fall in line with what jesus taught? i.e. homosexuality......etc.

There are many things that Jesus taught the Apostles that arent recorded in Scripture. Scripture even states that. The Bible would most likely take up an entire library if everything Jesus taught was written down. Scripture states that as well.

All of Jesus teachings that arent recorded in Scripture were taught to the Apostles by Him directly or given guidance by the Holy Spirit through the Apostles and thus Church. Scripture states that as well.

Does that answer your question?

[quote name='White Knight' date='Jul 19 2005, 02:01 AM']According to Sacred Scripture, Jesus was on this Earth for 40 days after the Resserection on that Faithful Sunday Morning.
My Question is

[b][color=blue]Does the Catholic Church have any references that aren't in the Bible to what Jesus was doing with the Disciples during this time? I think He was preparing them to do the [B]Will of the Father. [/b][/color][/B]

[/quote]

RESPONSE:

There are conflicting accounts in the New Testament here. In Luke 24, Jesus' Ascension was on the same day as the Resurrection and occurred at Bethany. On the other hand, Acts 1 has Jesus remaining on earth for 40 days and then ascending for Mt. Olivet.

If the same day version is correct, there obviously would be little to report.

LittleLes

White Knight

The 40 days account seems to me like the one to actually take in really.. because I think its in record that over 500 people saw the resserected Jesus after Easter Sunday..

i think the records existed at one time. Now they are integrated into the teaching of the church. (that would be my guess)

I am not sure that any hard copy stuff exists about that time period, but it might.

Though the other hard thing would be, how would you know it is Jesus. Did he not appear as someone else to the people that were walking on the road at the end of the Gospel of John (i think that is the correct one.)

Noel's angel

I have a question too (not meaning to sound rude or anything) but does it really matter?

[quote name='White Knight' date='Jul 19 2005, 01:11 PM']The 40 days account seems to me like the one to actually take in really.. because I think its in record that over 500 people saw the resserected Jesus after Easter Sunday..
[right][snapback]649987[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

No. It is claimed by one person that over 500 people saw Jesus before his Ascension. If you held up a bank, were captured, and put on trial and you told the judge that 500 people saw you at some other location than the bank when it was robbed, would you expect the court to rule that 500 persons gave testimony on your behalf? :D

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 19 2005, 10:09 AM']RESPONSE:

There are conflicting accounts in the New Testament here. In Luke 24, Jesus' Ascension was on the same day as the Resurrection and occurred at Bethany. On the other hand, Acts 1 has Jesus remaining on earth for 40 days and then ascending for Mt. Olivet.

If the same day version is correct, there obviously would be little to report.

LittleLes
[right][snapback]649746[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Luke does not specify the amount of time that passed between His Resurrection and His Ascension.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 19 2005, 02:30 PM']Luke does not specify the amount of time that passed between His Resurrection and His Ascension.
[right][snapback]650066[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

No. Luke 24 describes the events of one day beginning with the Resurrection at daybreak ,Lk 24:1. Jesus has a meal with the two on their way to Emmaus, Lk 24:30. Then in Lk 24:36 Jesus appears in Jerusalem. They had dinner at 24:41. Then he led them to Bethany and Ascended into heaven , Lk 24:50.

Now, here is the obvious problem. Luke traditionally wrote both the Gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles.

But Luke has the Ascension taking place on the same day as the Resurrection from Bethany, while Luke-Acts has it taking place 40 days later from Mt. Olivet. Quite different accounts.

It seems pretty obvious that we are talking about two different writers (or one very confused one). :blush:

Is it claimed that both accounts are inerrant and inspired, or do we have to rethink scriptural inerrancy and inspiration? :(

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 19 2005, 02:46 PM']RESPONSE:

No. Luke 24 describes the events of one day beginning with the Resurrection at daybreak ,Lk 24:1. Jesus has a meal with the two on their way to Emmaus, Lk 24:30.  Then in Lk 24:36 Jesus appears in Jerusalem. They had dinner at 24:41. Then he led them to Bethany and Ascended into heaven , Lk 24:50.

Now, here is the obvious problem. Luke traditionally wrote both the Gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles.

But Luke has the Ascension taking place on the same day as the Resurrection from Bethany, while Luke-Acts has it taking place 40 days later from Mt. Olivet. Quite different accounts.

It seems pretty obvious that we are talking about two different writers (or one very confused one). :blush:

Is it claimed that both accounts are inerrant and inspired, or do we have to rethink scriptural inerrancy and inspiration? :(
[right][snapback]650084[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It says nothing about the time and date the ascension took place, when they went to outskirts of Bethany, or how long they stayed in that area.

But I'm not going to continue arguing with you about this on this thread. This has little to do with White Knight's original question, and you're just once again trying to hijack a thread to push your agenda.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 19 2005, 03:46 PM']Now, here is the obvious problem. Luke traditionally wrote both the Gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles.

[right][snapback]650084[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[color=blue]"I too have decided, after investigating everything accurately anew, to write it down in an orderly sequence for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may realize the certainty of the teachings you have received."
Luke 1:3-4

"In the first book, Theophilus, I dealt with all that Jesus did and taught until the day he was taken up, after giving instructions through the holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen."
Acts 1:1-2[/color]