An Old School Catholic Message Board

First Century Christian-Jewish Relations

LittleLes

lol... hmmm... 3838 divided by 24... :nerd:

5 months? wow. he must have been naughty :saint:

Todd? what happened to him? did he go off to be a bzyantine priest? :pray: teehee :)

goldenchild17

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Jul 19 2005, 05:19 PM']The only better authority on all things Catholic is the Discovery channel.
:rolleyes:
[right][snapback]650339[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I dunno, the History Channel is pretty high up there is well.... :D:

goldenchild17

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 20 2005, 11:14 AM']RESPONSE:

I think that most Catholics, if they study religion at all, are familiar with the following publications:

1. The (New) Catechism of the Catholic Church. (on line)
2. The New American Bible (copyrighted by the US Catholic Conference of Bishops and developed by the Catholic Biblical Association)(on line)
3. The Catholic Encyclopedia. (The old edition is on line)

Of course, if you want to claim that you don't know of these publications or attack their reliability, you might want to start a thread on that topic.

Regarding the Jewish parties and sects comprising orthodox Judaism in the first century, I would have thought that the four Jewish scholars who wrote the PBS articles would probably be in the best position to recount the Jewish history ofthat period. But apparently Kilroy and CAM don't think so, but present no specific challenge, except that it was a PBS publication.

I'm not sure how to handle these objections. On the one hand if I cite any of the three "Catholic" publications above, especially the NAB, somebody objects. If I cite non-catholic historians or biblical scholars, the implication I get is that they're never reliable.

Apparently, I'm suppose to confine my use of references to Catholic Answers or EWTN. :D
[right][snapback]651161[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If they are from post-Vatican 2 catholic sources, especially the Bible and the Catechism I think you should have a chance to show what you want to show. While I doubt it will meet with success, I am always interested in learning something new. Have at it.

goldenchild17

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 20 2005, 07:15 PM']But I'm curious if  are still maintaining the traditional Church teaching that the earth doesn't move? Rumor has it that you are beginning to deviate from the party line on this scripturally based truth. [right][snapback]651862[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's funny because this is actually the very issue I was going to study when I had some free time. I heard of an interesting book coming out on geocentrism that I might buy. Science has certainly been wrong before, why not how.

P.S. Not saying science IS wrong on this, but just that I don't place a lot of trust in the science that is put out in the last some centuries.

But that is off-topic, back to the convo.