An Old School Catholic Message Board

vanity

bx_racer

alright i know what vanity is but i mean specifically. like at what point is it sinful? if you check your hair every once in a while or take a lot of pictures of yourself to see which is best, i think would be alright, i guess it would be sinful if u started not going places if ur shoes got a hole or something i dunno.

Vanity is a sin when u start caring more about what u look like and what other ppl think of u than loving God

The original meaning of the word "vanity" or "vain" is something that is useless or has no purpose.

Nowadays, the common meaning is doing something that only affects your appearance out of a desire for admiration.

[quote]And if we should chance to find money in any place, let us no more regard it than the dust we tread under our feet,4 for it is “vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.”[/quote]
[i]St.Francis of Assisi[/i]

St.Francis of Assisi had some very interesting things to say on vanity. He would regard clothing of any colour other than soil as vanity, make-up as vanity, anything worn for personal beautification was vanity, and power is vanity, ect... He is one the Saints that most adamantly condemns it by my reckoning.

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:53 AM'][i]St.Francis of Assisi[/i]
St.Francis of Assisi had some very interesting things to say on vanity.  He would regard clothing of any colour other than soil as vanity, make-up as vanity, anything worn for personal beautification was vanity, and power is vanity, ect...  He is one the Saints that most adamantly condemns it by my reckoning.
[right][snapback]649581[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

alright, it'd be nice if u guys made up your minds :unsure:

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jul 20 2005, 08:03 AM']alright, it'd be nice if u guys made up your minds :unsure:
[right][snapback]650812[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
St. Francis was a bit hardcore compared to everyone else. He thought studying theology was likely to lead to trouble too. :P

I imagine his advice was primarily for himself and his followers.

[quote name='philothea' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:34 AM']St. Francis was a bit hardcore compared to everyone else.  He thought studying theology was likely to lead to trouble too. :P

I imagine his advice was primarily for himself and his followers.
[right][snapback]650975[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Isn't there anything in the CCC that warns against refering to Saints as 'hard-core'?

Just wondering... :)

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jul 21 2005, 12:05 PM']Isn't there anything in the CCC that warns against refering to Saints as 'hard-core'?

Just wondering... :)
[right][snapback]652657[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:bleh:

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 20 2005, 08:18 PM']You're so vain. You probably think this post is about you.
[right][snapback]651734[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

rofl :rolling:.gif' /> :rolling:.gif' /> :rolling:.gif' /> :rolling:.gif' />

great song

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:18 PM']You're so vain. You probably think this post is about you.
[right][snapback]651734[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

oh trying to steal the spotlight are we