An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another question on working on the Sabbath

Dave

I have a friend who won't watch live TV on Sundays (such as sporting events) because he claims it's causing broadcasters to work on Sunday unnecessarily. This person won't even watch the Superbowl. It seems to me that approach is a little much, but I'd appreciate some input here.

Interestingly enough, this same person sees nothing wrong with going out to eat on Sundays. When I asked him why he wouldn't watch certain shows on Sundays but saw nothing wrong with eating out, he said that people have to eat. However, I feel that's an inconsistent position, as people could always go home and get something to eat (but of course I'm not saying I think it's wrong to eat out on Sundays).

[quote name='Dave' date='Jul 17 2005, 09:32 PM']Interestingly enough, this same person sees nothing wrong with going out to eat on Sundays.  When I asked him why he wouldn't watch certain shows on Sundays but saw nothing wrong with eating out, he said that people have to eat.  However, I feel that's an inconsistent position, as people could always go home and get something to eat (but of course I'm not saying I think it's wrong to eat out on Sundays).
[right][snapback]646946[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You could tell him that going out to eat means that cooks, waiters, dish washers, managers, etc., have to work on Sundays so that he can eat out.

goldenchild17

If he wants to be consistent with his position, then he should stay home and eat. Yeah people need to eat, but they don't need to go out and make others work unnecessarily just so he can eat out, according to his position.

Reguardless of his opinion on either matter, he is being a hypocrite. Be up front with him and tell him that by going out to eat he is making other people work, like Colleen said.

I believe [i]Dies Domini[/i] should shed some light on the issue.

[url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_05071998_dies-domini_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_pau...-domini_en.html[/url]

If I recall, it said something to the effect that it was ok for people to work for others to enjoy their sundays, eg. sports, restaurants, etc. particularly if it is a necessary income. Also (FYI) it said that necessary service workers, such as police or nurses/physicians, are good too.

I also agree that the position is inconsistent.

keep in my mind that eating out and sports are actually a way that some people rest. in these cases, people are helping others to live out their sunday and we pray that they fulfill their sunday obligation as well. some service oriented jobs would seem to be ok because of that in my opinion.

the point is that there be no servile work, i.e. work that you get money for. only if the wage is absolutely necessary to you can you work for money on sunday.

working for free is perfectly acceptable.

and THAT is why I never give waitresses a tip on sunday! the food always tastes kind of funny... like there's spit in it or something, but I'm only doing it for their own good!

lol Jk on the waitress thing :P