An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music, its effect on the person,

Semperviva

[i]Rock is thus “the complete antithesis of Christian faith in the redemption”. [/i]

no-one disagrees? interesting...

infinitelord1

i dug up this old cd that ive had for a while......the groups name is "snot" they were around in the mid 90's i think. this type of music is kinda like rage against the machine but more hardcore. Although i like it a lot i have to admit that it brings out a lot of anger in me.

but i listen to U2 and they're a rock band and when i sing "Gloria", one of their songs, i feel closer to Jesus, so i don't think rock is anti christian

alright if ur gonna argue you gotta know what ur talking about cuz rolling stones is not heavy metal, its not even metal.

Edited by bx_racer

oh and by the way i heard it was after Christ devil comes for the ac/dc so that might not be true, people could just be making it up

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 19 2005, 11:19 AM']ok,
this text I found [b]says it was heavy metal[/b] he condemned
nd that it wasen't him specifically but a Vatican spokesman. hhhmmmm...
In November of '96, Cardinal Ratzinger warned that [b]heavy metal [/b]was an "instrument of the Devil" and endangered young people's souls. The future Pope singled out these groups as the worst offenders...

Pink Floyd

The Rolling Stones

Queen

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

The Beatles

Alice Cooper

AC/DC

The Eagles

He called upon members of [b]heavy metal bands[/b] to "purify themselves" and posited that AC/DC "referred not to alternating current or even bisexuality, but to the satanic phrase 'Antichrist, Death to Christ.'"

well the heavy metal thing makes more sense at least...
[right][snapback]649909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Where is this text?

Btw - -even if acurrate, this document would definately not be considered infallible. Interesting -it talks about "yong people's souls," yet these bands were all old (or defunct) in '96. (and most of them are not considered "heavy metal") Personally, I wouldn't spend too muc time worrying about it. It you think particular music is having a negative effect on you, get rid of it, but I wouldn't waste to much time worrying about the details of this "text."

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jul 20 2005, 01:10 PM']Rolling Stones arent defunct but they are old
[right][snapback]651152[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I said old [b]or[/b] defunct. Beatles are defunct.

you really think we shouilden't worry about music that much Soc? it just seems too important you know? but i supopse trial and error is one way to know...
know thyself and know what effects you negatively i suppose...

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 20 2005, 01:25 PM']you really think we shouilden't worry about music that much Soc? it just seems too important you know? but i supopse trial and error is one way to know...
know thyself and know what effects you negatively i suppose...
[right][snapback]651184[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm just saying I wouldn't worry excessively about this document. Where can it be found by the way? I might be able to comment on it more intelligently if I had a source.

At the Eighth International Church Music Congress in Rome in 1986, for example, Ratzinger blasted rock music as a “vehicle of anti-religion”. He said rock and roll is a secular variant of an age-old ecstatic religion, in which man “lowers the barriers of individuality and personality” to “liberate himself from the burden of consciousness”. Rock is thus “the complete antithesis of Christian faith in the redemption”.

this is all I can find- and this list came out in '96 but I cannot find what the context of it was...

oh well i can't find anything else on this...

there must be some balance we can find like what ave was mentioning with U2...

This sort of discussion is not unique to the Catholic Church

On the local Baptist (for lack of a specific denomination) radio station this evening, the speaker was Dan Lucarini, author of Why I Left the Contempory Christian Music Movement.

Website blurb:
Dan was swept into the CCM movement that infiltrated so many churches in the late 80's and early 90's. As a former secular rock musician, he had the skills to be good at making a band play cohesively. But did that have anything to do with worship? He set out on a study of worship in the Bible and was stunned to learn the truth. Tune in to BBN's Conference Pulpit this evening [Wednesday] at 9:00 eastern to hear the testimony of Dan Lucarini, author of the book Why I Left The Contemporary Christian Music Movement.

I think the program will be available at their website for a week.

[url="http://bible-stream.bbnradio.org/Wednesday_Conference_Pulpit.wma"]http://bible-stream.bbnradio.org/Wednesday...ence_Pulpit.wma[/url]