An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music, its effect on the person,

Semperviva

1... what is music's effect on the soul? can we know this...

2...Rock and Roll = “Vehicle of anti-religion.”

-BenXVI
--- does anyone where this quote comes from...and the full context...(not talking about the Ratzinger Report segment on the liturgy, but just some sortof comment where this may have come from)

3rdly...
As rock has no place in the liturgy according to the Holy Father, what are the implications ( ;) ) [i]in life[/i]

as the liturgy is the central focus of worship and a catholic's entire life?

I dont think anything in this world ,except for sin and God have any effect on the soul.But thats just my opinion.

[quote name='reelguy227' date='Jul 17 2005, 12:35 AM']I dont think anything in this world ,except for sin and God have any effect on the soul.But thats just  my opinion.
[right][snapback]646186[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
From one aspect yeh...free will is free will......okmayeb not afect ont he sou, i should say..effect on the "spirit"

ie moods desire inclinations disposition emotion thoughts relation

all of which effect one's will to some degree and then as a result efect ones soul

Ill agree with you on that ,it does affect mood and desire .Certain rock songs make me get pumped and others make me mad .So ya I guess.

[quote name='reelguy227' date='Jul 17 2005, 12:41 AM']Ill agree with you on that ,it does affect mood and desire .Certain rock songs make me get pumped and others make me mad .So ya I guess.
[right][snapback]646195[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

BTW, i meant music in general in the first question--yeh know? like it could be anything really...i mean imagine
watching Gladiator without hans zimmer in the backround.. its like half the movie gone...

[quote name='reelguy227' date='Jul 17 2005, 12:41 AM']Ill agree with you on that ,it does affect mood and desire .
[/quote]

...so music affects your desires...

what i mean is...
if you are somewhat formed by the desires incited by your music, or a habitually encouraged way of thinking or state of mind or diesire can be formed by music....
this ultimetely affects how you live, act and who you are it seems...
does your music determine what kind of person you are, to a degree? ??
if u talk to people can u tell what kindof music they listen to---
it seems to me you really really can, just by their whole person....its like a stamp on the person almost...and i think it goes the other way around too, look at someones CD collection u learn SO soso much about the person

Edited by Semperviva

Kilroy the Ninja

I wonder what my collection would "say" about me.....

I have just about everything out there... hmmmm

rock's all right, it isn't always antireligion, just look at U2, some of their songs are very Christian, and Switchfoot and Seven Sorrows are totally Christian. It's allright to listen to rock at home but i know that in Mass, there's no place for it, since it's supposed to be reverent. But ppl don't always listen to the same music u hear at Mass at a party, dance, or in car w/ur friends. also, would u not wear jeans at any other time since u don't wear them to Mass?

I think it has to do with because of rock and roll people have forgotten real music. By real music I mean the classical stuff (and also chant), which I refer to as such because the music itself is actually more in line with life than rock or any other form.

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jul 17 2005, 03:04 PM']rock's all right, it isn't always antireligion, just look at U2, some of their songs are very Christian, and Switchfoot and Seven Sorrows are totally Christian.
[right][snapback]646539[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

True, [i]but a song is not just "speaking" through its words...[/i]

...i dunno if its fair to say the Beatles isin't music, its just not as sophisticated music as other music

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jul 17 2005, 10:39 PM']I think it has to do with because of rock and roll people have forgotten real music.
[right][snapback]647041[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

so is your point that-
this is why the pope says rock is the vehicle of anti-religion?

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Jul 17 2005, 01:51 PM']I wonder what my collection would "say" about me.....

I have just about everything out there... hmmmm
[right][snapback]646389[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Same here. If people judged me by my music, well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.