An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Charism of Infallibility

LittleLes

1. The teaching on the doctrine of infallibility and its requirements is frequently misunderstood by many Catholics.

2. By definition, (the charism of) infallibility is the belief that the holy Spirit will not allow the Catholic Church to make an error in its teachings on faith and morals.

3. There are two major divisions of infallibility, and not recognizing these divisions results in much of the confusion:

(a). Infallibility of the Ordinary and Universal (or Constant) Magisterium: What has always been taught by all Catholic bishops throughout the world. (In short, what has always been taught is for this reason correct).

(b) Infallibility of the Extraordinary (or Solemn) Magisterium:

(1) Definitive decrees of the ecumenical councils.
and
(2) Papal ex cathedra statements.

Any additions, corrections, etc., so far....? :unsure:

Welcome to summer repeats

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=30478"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=30478[/url]

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:12 AM']Welcome to summer repeats
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=30478"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=30478[/url]
[right][snapback]644431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Not really. This one will be so much better! :D

And not be so plagued with URL's of Father So-in-So's ramblings! :rolling:

[quote name='Nicole8223' date='Jul 15 2005, 10:14 AM']hot stuff's here...yay!
[right][snapback]644433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

No doubt he will make many meaningful contributions to the discussion rather than deal in ad hominems. :blush:

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 15 2005, 12:00 PM']RESPONSE:

No doubt he will make many meaningful contributions to the discussion rather than deal in ad hominems. :blush:
[right][snapback]644470[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
And you wonder why no one wants to respond to your posts . I'll bet your school records state "does not play well with others"

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Jul 15 2005, 11:34 AM']And you wonder why no one wants to respond to your posts .  I'll bet your school records state "does not play well with others"
[right][snapback]644486[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

On the contrary, people do reply to my posts. Both you and hot stuff just did!!! :D

P.S. And my school records say "Simply brillent!!!. But its an understatement! : ;)

But, alas, your post is an ad hominem. Don't you have anything to contribute to the discussion??? :unsure:

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Jul 15 2005, 12:07 PM']Yes.
Please learn to spell correctly.

Mr. Brillent!
[right][snapback]644504[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

If you spell a word the same every time it only proves that you don't have any imagination. :D

Moreover, there is no correlation between IQ tests and spelling ability. ;)

The question of infallbility did not arise in the early Church. Scripture, the commentaries of the Church Fathers, the Church councils, and the writings of those in authority were more or less taken to be inspired, inerrant, and reliably expressing the divine will.

While it is claimed that infallibility was divinely revealed, nothing in the New Testament makes such a claim. The argument then becomes that while the concept of infallibility is not explicitly taught by scripture, it contains the implicit proof of infallibility.

A number of New Testament texts are sometimes cited. Perhaps the most relevant are:
Luke 10:15 "Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."
and
1 John 2:27 "As for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, so that you do not need anyone to teach you. But his anointing teaches you about everything and is true and not false; just as it taught you, remain in him. "

Of course, it is possible to read just about anything "implicitly" into scripture, so no real guarantee of infallibility is given by these passages. In most case these types of passages are speaking to an ideal rather than reality. Along similar lines, John 14: 13-14 tells us: "And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. "

But is this literally true or only figuatively?

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Jul 15 2005, 02:50 PM']The question of infallbility did not arise in the early Church. Scripture, the commentaries of the Church Fathers, the Church councils, and the writings of those in authority were more or less taken to be inspired, inerrant, and reliably expressing the divine will.

While it is claimed that infallibility was divinely revealed, nothing in the New Testament makes such a claim. The argument then becomes that while the concept of infallibility is not explicitly taught by scripture, it contains the implicit proof of infallibility.

A number of New Testament texts are sometimes cited. Perhaps the most relevant are:
Luke 10:15  "Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."
and
1 John 2:27 "As for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, so that you do not need anyone to teach you. But his anointing teaches you about everything and is true and not false; just as it taught you, remain in him. "

Of course, it is possible to read just about anything "implicitly" into scripture, so no real guarantee of infallibility is given by these passages. In most case these types of passages are speaking to an ideal rather than reality. Along similar lines,  John 14: 13-14 tells us: "And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. "

But is this literally true or only figuatively?
[right][snapback]644585[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haven't we been here before? Oh Kilroy....this is a bit ridiculous, isn't it?

You know what would be way more interesting? The Church's view on slavery. ..

Why don' t we discuss that? Has it ever been brought up before?

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jul 15 2005, 08:58 PM']You know what would be way more interesting? The  Church's view on slavery. .. 
Why don' t we discuss that?  Has it ever been brought up before?
[right][snapback]644869[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm not sure....hey, how about we talk about the primacy of Peter....I think that one has never been breached.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 15 2005, 06:24 PM']Haven't we been here before?  Oh Kilroy....this is a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
[right][snapback]644782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

No. I haven't been there before nor had the opportunity to cite the various Church documents involved.

You aren't trying to "close" the topic because it's something you don't want to face, are you? :blink: