An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women and Clothing - Men and Clothing

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:00 PM']Whatever.  Even when they dress modestly, a lot of women get sexually harassed and abused.  There are a lot of disgustitng, dangerous men out there that should be in jail.  I'm not saying that all men are sexual predators, but it is a reasonable thing to fear, especially if you live in a big city or you've checked the Megan's Law database in your town.

You probably have never experienced this--  you're walking around with your girlfriends, dressed normally, minding your own business, when some guy drives by and beeps his horn at you suggestively.  I HATE it when guys do that.
[right][snapback]644548[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree.

Some do worse things too. Like pinching. <_<

Pepper spray is truly my friend.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:05 PM']I agree.

Some do worse things too.  Like pinching.  <_<

Pepper spray is truly my friend.
[right][snapback]644550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
hahaha... when i move to NYC after i graduate i am totally going to invest in pepper spray.

:rolleyes: Yeah I hate when guys do stuff like that. Or when you're wakling through the store, dressed perfectly modestly, and they'll look you up and down for like EVER and then grin and mutter something to their friend. It makes you feel so icky. (lol yes I did just use the word icky :P)

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:00 PM']You probably have never experienced this--  you're walking around with your girlfriends, dressed normally, minding your own business, when some guy drives by and beeps his horn at you suggestively.  I HATE it when guys do that.
[right][snapback]644548[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, I'm male, so I haven't experienced that exactly! -LOL :D
However, lot's of girls drive by and scream, make cat-calls, yell out that I'm hot, etc. And being a guy, it doesn't bother me at all, obviously! :)

However, I think you're missing my point. I was referring to girls worrying about this being caused by their dress when they dress modestly - worrying that it's their fault.

Also, I think many women can be overly suspicious. Many (especially the "good Catholic" types) seem to regard me suspiciously, like a predator, if I show any kind of friendliness towards them. This gets painful after awhile - being regarded as some scary predator to be avoided, rather than a fellow human being. And a lot of them seem to have no problem with other guys (who are apparently less "threatening') I dunno - just me ranting here . . .

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:21 PM']And being a guy, it doesn't bother me at all, obviously!  :) [/quote]

:lol:

[quote]Many (especially the "good Catholic" types) seem to regard me suspiciously, like a predator, if I show any kind of friendliness towards them. 
[right][snapback]644559[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It has nothing to do with you personally I'm sure. It's just that we get a bit defensive after dealing with loads of creeps.

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 15 2005, 12:55 PM']I have to agree.  I find men in suits and uniforms are much more attractive than shirtless ones.
[right][snapback]644544[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

um, yeah. emphasizes shoulders, ie, strength, very nice, lol

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:05 PM']
Some do worse things too.  Like pinching.  <_<
[right][snapback]644550[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you really wanna watch out for this if you go to Italy!!!

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 15 2005, 04:18 PM']um, yeah. emphasizes shoulders, ie, strength, very nice, lol
you really wanna watch out for this if you go to Italy!!!
[right][snapback]644608[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Italian guys are worse than the NY ones? :bugeyes:

[quote name='Kaeldra' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:17 PM']:rolleyes:  Yeah I hate when guys do stuff like that.  Or when you're wakling through the store, dressed perfectly modestly, and they'll look you up and down for like EVER and then grin and mutter something to their friend.  It makes you feel so icky.  (lol yes I did just use the word icky :P)
[right][snapback]644557[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I really hate that !!!! I've even had some guy I didn't know come up and put his arm around my waist. Yeah and I let him have it lol Right in the face. Don't mess with southern girls. We haul hay lol we've got muscle and we can hit.

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 15 2005, 04:52 PM']Don't mess with southern girls. We haul hay lol we've got muscle and we can hit.
[right][snapback]644651[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol: You go girl!

sweetpea316

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 15 2005, 02:52 PM']I really hate that !!!! I've even had some guy I didn't know come up and put his arm around my waist. Yeah and I let him have it lol Right in the face.  Don't mess with southern girls. We haul hay lol we've got muscle and we can hit.
[right][snapback]644651[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Haha! Yeah! Go southern girls! We set them straight. :club:

But yes, all of the before mentioned stuff bugs me too. Gosh. But there ARE good guys out there! I promise! :D

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 14 2005, 12:08 PM']Even when dressing modestly problems can still occur.  Like sometimes it's really depressing when you think you've dressed very modestly and then you still get reactions. Drives me up the wall.
[right][snapback]643198[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This really is a problem. I've had random men honk their horns and yell out to me when I'm carrying my children to and from the car. Its like they just don't get how rude they are being.

[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 14 2005, 04:49 PM']eww I wish you hadn't said that. I just found out I'm in the co-ed dorm at Steubie lol
[right][snapback]643491[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Its co-ed by floor, and its actually not that bad or smelly, I have a couple friends who used to be in that dorm There is anotther co-ed dorm that is co-ed by wing (each wing actually has a seperate name, but they are connected by lobby areas in the middle).

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:09 PM']This just shows you're a very attractive woman.
Dressing modestly will not magically cause all males to lose any interest in you.

(And what kind of reactions?  Compliments on appearance?  - nothing wrong with that.  Lewd remarks, behavior?  - Those guys are slime to begin with - ignore them)

[right][snapback]644506[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Compliments are fine, but cat-calls and horn honking when you're leaning over weeding, picking up babies, or getting groceries out of your car are totally uncalled for.

[quote name='Kaeldra' date='Jul 15 2005, 02:17 PM']:rolleyes:  Yeah I hate when guys do stuff like that.  Or when you're wakling through the store, dressed perfectly modestly, and they'll look you up and down for like EVER and then grin and mutter something to their friend.  It makes you feel so icky.  (lol yes I did just use the word icky :P)
[right][snapback]644557[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Again, totally uncalled for and disgusting.

I usually wear the same things out and about that I wear at home, with the exception of some strappier tank tops which I only wear at home. If my husband thought something was too showy he'd tell me, so far that hasn't happened. I have no problem with tank tops with slightly wider straps (I think spaghetti straps are sometimes problematic when out in public because some men are just pigs) that show a little shoulder, or even some v-neck tops (admittedly I have a couple that are more revealing than I perfer, but thats only been since having children and I usually pin them to close the V a little higher). Most of the time the problem isn't even what we wear, though, its that men see a girl and think that somehow we are flattered to be honked and hooted at. (I've had it happen wearing long, loose pants, and high-necked t-shirts.)

lol oh just wanted to let everyone one know lol I don't normally go around hitting people, but that guy really crossed the line. :D

Okay continue the topic

[quote name='Carrie' date='Jul 15 2005, 02:20 PM']The Italian guys are worse than the NY ones?  :bugeyes:
[right][snapback]644612[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
do NY guys pinch your butt when you walk past them? if so, they are equivalently bad...

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 15 2005, 04:45 PM']do NY guys pinch your butt when you walk past them? if so, they are equivalently bad...
[right][snapback]644719[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:angry: maybe they need to be hit in the face by a few southern girls for doing that