An Old School Catholic Message Board

The eyes! Guard your sight

ironmonk

The eyes! Through them many iniquities enter the soul. — What experiences like David's! — If you guard your sight you have assured the guard of your heart.
[b]St. Josemaria Escriva: The Way, #183[/b]

[b]St. Matt 6:22 [/b]
"The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light;
[b]23 [/b]but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.

If one wants to change, they can. When we fill our eyes with light, then the darkness in us will fade. We can become whatever we want to be. Take the darkness out of our sight and fill it with light.

The light is the teachings of Christ, and all things good and holy.

The darkness is lust (hetrosexual or homosexual), envy, greed, pride, etc...

It is that easy, but you must want to change. Saying "I am what I am" is a cowards way out. People can change for better and for worse. We must work if we want to change. This is the most basic and fundemental way to help one's psyche.

Something I did when younger that helped me was that I covered my walls in holy art and bible quotes on 3x5 cards, I made it a point to read a few quotes everytime I passed them. I stopped watching TV. As I have said before, TV desensitizes people and can program people. There might be some that will want to disagree with what I wrote about TV, but all one has to do is use a little common sense and look at how TV is normally "cutting edge" with lack of morals, and society follows.

If someone hears something enough, they'll start to believe it. People around us can be the darkness that enters our souls... if we are not where we should be in life with God, we need to remove ourselves from their presense. Once we are where we should be with God, then we can have the strength to share His Word with others. If we feel that we are about to slip, we must remove ourselves from whatever can cause us to slip.

If we continue to surround ourselves with the evils of this world, then it will be harder for us to live for God. We must do the right thing in God's eyes.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Amen! Amen! Amen!

I stopped watching tv a long time ago. It is an occasional movie I watch now. (But I still watch my home improvement shows)

I also started separating myself from my co-workers, much to their amazement and instead on breaks and lunch, I read either Scripture or a good Catholic book in my car so as not to be disturbed.

Ok, so now Im somewhat of an outcast. So what !!!

My new crew consists of saints, angels, the Son of God, the Holy Spirit and God Himself.
Pretty impressive eh?

I am so much happier now.

Loving life.

• 2 weeks later...

Every job I have ever had most of my coworkers have considered me rude, a snob, arrogant, a loner, etc.
Because I don't gossip, curse, or just talk for the sake of talking.

I am seen (for the most part) as a misfit. I just don't care to have conversations that mean nothing. I don't speak unless I have something worthwhile to contribute.

The time I don't spend talking I am praying. What I have noticed though is when my coworkers have something going on in their lives. They come to me to ask for prayers not their "buddies."

TV does have a lot of trash on it. Im trying to cut back on it, because I tend to watch it too much. I've tried instead to either write in my journal, read a good book, talk to my family(gasp) or go on PhatMass. Much better time spent.