An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lord's Day

Brother Adam

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:19 PM']I don't really know what you're talking about.
[right][snapback]638702[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
well its kinda like the jews do the evening before the sabbath only its catholic....series of prayers from the psalms..with responses..begins with the dad readin the first chapter of john...then you pour wine and break bread its cool

photosynthesis

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 10 2005, 08:31 PM']well its kinda like the jews do the evening before the sabbath only its catholic....series of prayers from the psalms..with responses..begins with the dad readin the first chapter of john...then you pour wine and break bread its cool
[right][snapback]638710[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So it's kind of like Shabbat? Do they chant? because at Shabbat dinner you get to chant the psalms in hebrew.

My normal rule of thumb regarding major work on a Sunday is to ask myself: can I do it on another day? I normally don't consider straightening up papers and bills major work like digging up a garden. But then again, some forms of labor I actually find relaxing! Go figure.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:58 PM']So it's kind of like Shabbat?  Do they chant?  because at Shabbat dinner you get to chant the psalms in hebrew.
[right][snapback]638726[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
a little theres lighting and blessing of the candle too and you can sing a hymn at that part... theres no chanting but u totally could if you wanted...chants pretty darn simple..lol..hence plainchant....

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 10 2005, 05:04 PM']Right, so relaxing and everything. But should this mean refraining of doing anything or going anywhere that would cause someone to have to work unnecessarily (restraunts, grocery stores)? Should I do homework and work on my online apostolates on Sunday? Should I even be on the internet on Sunday?
[right][snapback]638653[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I look at it this way-- I don't refrain from going out to eat or to the grocery store on Sunday because I think it is overly legalistic. Besides, I am denying someone the opportunity to earn a living if I "boycott" on Sunday. For me, going out for lunch on Sunday gives me a chance to relax and not have to rush home in a frazzle and feed hungry children (though eating out today was a NIGHTMARE!)

I would try to avoid doing homework on Sunday, unless you are going to put yourself in such a time crunch that you are stressed the rest of the week.

Errands I don't mind doing on Sunday because I can go by myself... and that, to me, is peaceful.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:04 PM']mulls,

I'm speaking about things outside of worship (or a community service in your case).
[/quote]

I know. You threw out a generic protestant jab so I countered. That's all. :cool:

and what do you mean by community service in my case?

Edited by mulls

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Oik' date='Jul 10 2005, 07:26 PM']Hahaha!

I thought this thread was about the "quasi-sacrmental" practice by households at Franciscan University of Steubenville!
[right][snapback]638706[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:whistle:

:mellow:

:ninja:

;)

since I am a procrastinator by nature, during school I would always wait until Sunday night to do my homework for Monday. and because of that i would always be anxious all Sunday long because I knew I had stuff hanging over my head. to remedy this I tried to follow a friend's lead and implement a full 24 hour sabbath, starting Saturday night around 8 or so. This way I would relax, have leisure time, and be able to focus on the Lord for a full 24 hours, and wouldn't allow myself to worry about anything else until the 'sabbath' was over, 8pm Sunday night.

I'm not disciplined so this didn't really have the total desired affect, but it did help somewhat, and I have friends who it works great for. Maybe this helps.

[quote name='Oik' date='Jul 10 2005, 06:26 PM']Hahaha!

I thought this thread was about the "quasi-sacrmental" practice by households at Franciscan University of Steubenville!
[right][snapback]638706[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
lol, uuuh, are you saying this is a bad thing???? there nothing wrong with breaking bread, drinking wine and saying prayers together at the table...and there are thousands of catholics around the world who say them, not just at steubie..

IcePrincessKRS

haha Well, when I first started reading this thread I contemplated moving it because it wasn't a debate.... but not I'm not so sure... :P

Oh yeah, my Sunday's sound alot like HSMom's. Sometimes we go to the grocery store together as a family, too, and its easier because Matt is there to help, and its fun because we're together. We also like to go to parks and cemetarys to take walks. :)

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

[quote]lol, uuuh, are you saying this is a bad thing???? there nothing wrong with breaking bread, drinking wine and saying prayers together at the table...and there are thousands of catholics around the world who say them, not just at steubie..[/quote]

I'd like to know where else this happens. When I inquired about the practice, I was told that is was an adaptation of a common practice among appalacion (sp!) protestants.

Now, this certainly is problematic. It is akin to "healing" Mass where healing prayers are offered to those suffering "emotional" or "spitiual" problems. In this Masses, the real Sacrament of healing, the Sacrament of Confession/Penance, is completely ignored. Instead, it is substituted with prayers and the use of holy oil anoitings. It is also a quasi-sacramental fabrication. Many catholics throughout the US have these "healing" Masses.

Does that make it right?

There is something very questionable about having a psuedo-representation of the Mass. It just promulgates that attitude of the Mass as abanquet (the Mass is the Sacrifice). It also perpetuates poor theological formation by placing the emphasis of theologies on the wrong things (for instance, the Lords Prayer as a communal expression, not a prayer, the altar being refered to as a table and not what is it, an altar, the lose of the Sanctuary which has now been reduced to just the altar, ect, ect.)

The Church has so many beautiful devoations, why create one (or use ione that has it's roots in protestant practice?)

It is also beyond me why anyone would partake in a "lord's day" celebration at a Catholic University when Mass is available several time a day, seven days a week. You've got the real thing, why farce it?

The Lord's Day is a major reason why I won't join a household at Steubenville.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Oik' date='Jul 12 2005, 03:05 AM']The Lord's Day is a major reason why I won't join a household at Steubenville.
[right][snapback]640546[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what's a household? is that like a sorority house? or do you live with alumnae/professors?

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jul 12 2005, 06:51 AM']what's a household?  is that like a sorority house?  or do you live with alumnae/professors?
[right][snapback]640660[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Click the link below:

[url="http://www.franciscan.edu/home2/Content/Campuslife/reslife/main.aspx?id=111"][u]Franciscan University Household Life[/u][/url]