An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies like War of the WOrlds-

cyndy9w

I'm REALLY picky about seeing any movie, and I thought it was a good movie. The only thing that shocked me was that in that craziness not even one person prayed! I mean, c'mon!

I've posted this before, but if you are interested in some good christian feedback on movies that are currently playing, you can go to [url="http://www.movieguide.org"]http://www.movieguide.org[/url]. I consult it before going to any movie. They really pick through and let you know what the movie is about.

cyndy9w, That is the biggest load of BS I think I have ever heard in my life. :mellow: :rolleyes:

Edited by Kaeldra

Don John of Austria

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Jul 9 2005, 02:49 PM']Just a side note, Flannery O'Connor isn't a "HE" She's a SHE. ;)
[right][snapback]637481[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
you beat me to it!

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 12 2005, 09:56 PM']you beat me to it!
[right][snapback]641486[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

by the way I hate Flannery O'conner-- Southern Catholic or not, that womens writing is about as depressing as any in human history, her writting seems more calvanist than Catholic.
" wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
there is laughing, dancing and good red wine..."

There is no laughing nor dancing in her stories at least not that isn't going to be abruptly taken away. I am glad to read more H.G Wells and less of her.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Ellenita' date='Jul 9 2005, 05:35 PM']

The film is the Hollywood version and not entirely truthful to the book.
[right][snapback]637636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wait, you're trying to convince me that Hollywood would take a perfectly good book, and in the process of making a movie corrupt it? Get out of here!

White Knight

I agree with everyone who said the Ending to War of the Worlds is pretty disappointing, because it is. I think they sould have made two solid different endings. They would have worked better anyway, [b]Ethier one where the Humans Won and everyone has Celebrations or One where its a Tradegy. [/b]The one used for this film was like not a tradegy nor was it a Happy Ending in a way.

What [b]"was" "good"[/b] about this ending used in the film is, it left basically no room for sequals, so its a [b]Stand alone Movie, No sequals, aleast from what I know it.[/b]

Granted this film could have been so much more if it lived up to its title. ya know, so more International Things, not just USA, When you have A title like [b]War of the Worlds[/b], its gotta live up to its name.

Edited by White Knight

[quote name='Kaeldra' date='Jul 12 2005, 08:02 PM']cyndy9w, That is the biggest load of BS I think I have ever heard in my life.  :mellow:  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]641312[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Calm down now... :bugeyes:

son_of_angels

Perhaps, regarding violent scenes, Western Christians NEED to be hardened to the violence and immorality around them, so when they, living their pure lives, encounter such things, Satan won't be able to surprise them. We should not underestimate the evil one, nor be surprised at what he and his pawns are capable of. I remember reading on another forum once, a poster said that they thought Satan was "one of the stupidest beings ever." Yet he is not. He is a being a thousand times older and smarter than every Christian alive today. In these days of persecution, Christians cannot simply think that the world outside, with all its violence and immorality, should be left alone, but be able to stare it in the face without regret in our own lives.

In other words, don't try to reason through the movies, just deal.

When the book was read over the radio on a Halloween.. people really thought aliens were attacking.. it's true!

[quote name='Tony' date='Jul 13 2005, 11:33 AM']When the book was read over the radio  on a Halloween.. people really thought aliens were attacking.. it's true!
[right][snapback]641982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That was the 30's Orson Welles radio-play version (narrated in the form of a news broadcast). It caused panic when listeners tuned in and thought it was an actual news broadcast!

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jul 13 2005, 12:43 PM']That was the 30's Orson Welles radio-play version (narrated  in the form of a news broadcast).  It caused panic when listeners tuned in and thought it was an actual news broadcast!
[right][snapback]641992[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Some actually committed suicide too.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Jul 13 2005, 01:06 PM']Some actually committed suicide too.
[right][snapback]642095[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't know whether to pitty their idiocy of detest their cowardess, perhaps both.

sarcasmguy126

yeah, Paladin D.

sorry i cant quote for some reason...

but Star Wars Episode III is rated PG-13 for "Sci-Fi and Some Intense Images"....

yet!

parents still took younger Star Wars fans to the movie anyway

on opening day, there must have been a 3-year-old dressed as Darth Vader watching the movie

why wouldn't parents take kids to WOTW then??

Melchisedec

[quote name='cyndy9w' date='Jul 8 2005, 11:05 PM']        This movie was another step towards the immuninization of America to death.
[right][snapback]636856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Not to mention spongebob squarepants.

Edited by Melchisedec