An Old School Catholic Message Board

skateboarding

bx_racer

there are these apartments by my house that i skated at the other day. i saw some other guys there and we skated and they said they used to skate there all the time. nobodys told me anything and theres not a no trespassing sign so would it be cool even if i dont live there to skate there? also my friends and i have gone to the offices where my dad works to skate and noone has told me anything. just making sure if it is alright to skate on private property as long as you're not bothering anybody. there is a set of four stairs in some other apartments but there is a no trespassing sign there so i will resist that, it would probably be wrong to skate there, right?

NewReformation

You should never skate on private property unless you have permission of the owners. They'd probably say no because they would be liable for any injury you sustain while skateboarding on their property, whether or not you're trespassing. There doesn't have to be a sign up for it to be considered trespassing, even if they are apartments. You're only allowed at an apartment complex if you live there, or if you are a guest of someone who lives there, regardless of whether or not there is a sign.

hmm good point but i dont see why i could sue them, and if i can, why would i, cant they sue me right back if its not my property? also, the two set we were skating by is in the park area where there are somtimes kids with bikes and like i said the other guys used to skate there so i doubt it disturbs anybody.

Edited by bx_racer

my friends use to skate/rollerblade on private property all the time. They asked permission. They even built a wooden ramp in thier back yard once. But then a nice skatepark was built about 15 miles away and now one in our town is being built.

After the paper ran a story on how many kids were actually skating on private property AND public property, the city decided to build a skatepark.

well, you might look into it. it's possible. :)

NewReformation

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jul 8 2005, 02:18 PM']so if i ask permission, you think they will let me?
[right][snapback]636127[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you do, you may want to mention that you will be safe in doing so, since insurance is a big worry. Because if you, or someone else is injured as a result of your skateboarding on their property, the owner is held liable.

[quote name='NewReformation' date='Jul 8 2005, 02:49 PM']If you do, you may want to mention that you will be safe in doing so, since insurance is a big worry. Because if you, or someone else is injured as a result of your skateboarding on their property, the owner is held liable.
[right][snapback]636282[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

aw man but that will be so embarasing in front of my friends asking permission haha

As a skateboarder in the 70's and now as an adult, my opinion.

Don't ask for permission. As soon as you ask, they HAVE to say no because of insurance. The man thing is to be cool about it. :hippie:
No cussing. :cuss: Don't tear stuff up. Stop skating if the residents come around. If they're carrying stuff, ask to help them. Don't leave your trash around like 'ade bottles and junk. Don't go tearing down the walkways right outside the apartment. The likelyhood of you being chased off is directly related to the level you annoy them. :angered: I've skated at places where they came out and watched. :popcorn: Nobody wants to watch a bunch of kids acting like asses and have everyother work come out an 'f' bomb. We had our own words, and rarely slipped.
And wear helmets and pads. Nothing makes the owners/residents more nervous than thinking they have to scape your brains or skin off their property. You can carry your own broken bones off (I've done that.) :stretcher:

Picture yourself as a forty year old dink living there and try to imagine what you'd be willing to put up with right outside your apartment (then try to be even less annoying for a margin of error :saint: )

Edited by jasJis

[quote name='jasJis' date='Jul 9 2005, 06:51 AM']As a skateboarder in the 70's and now as an adult, my opinion.

Don't ask for permission.  As soon as you ask, they HAVE to say no because of insurance.  The man thing is to be cool about it.  :hippie:
No cussing.  :cuss:  Don't tear stuff up.  Stop skating if the residents come around.  If they're carrying stuff, ask to help them.  Don't leave your trash around like 'ade bottles and junk.  Don't go tearing down the walkways right outside the apartment.  The likelyhood of you being chased off is directly related to the level you annoy them. :angered:  I've skated at places where they came out and watched.  :popcorn: Nobody wants to watch a bunch of kids acting like asses and have everyother work come out an 'f' bomb.  We had our own words, and rarely slipped.
And wear helmets and pads.  Nothing makes the owners/residents more nervous than thinking they have to scape your brains or skin off their property.  You can carry your own broken bones off (I've done that.) :stretcher:

Picture yourself as a forty year old dink living there and try to imagine what you'd be willing to put up with right outside your apartment (then try to be even less annoying for a margin of error  :saint: )
[right][snapback]637097[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:sweat: :rolling: good stuff

man, u r awesome that is what i'm talking about. i would go for it, but like all the other Catholics say its wrong and stuff. what's up with that? if i were just 100% sure God thinks its ok i'd do it. im confused right now because priests never talk about skating and stuff in mass and its just a normal thing you know. i remember i used to have so much fun ripping sets and stuff but now im paranoid to disobey God. people are always thinking skaters dont have better things to do than sue and graffiti but it's not that way.

It's about respect.
Show the people some respect for their property and peace, and you can expect some respect. If they find you too annoying, respect their rights are higher than yours as a visitor. They don't have to respect you, but you have to respect them.

[quote name='jasJis' date='Jul 9 2005, 04:09 PM']It's about respect.
Show the people some respect for their property and peace, and you can expect some respect.  If they find you too annoying, respect their rights are higher than yours as a visitor.  They don't have to respect you, but you have to respect them.
[right][snapback]637581[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yeah that should work, some people are really messed up though. i mean i would understand if i was in their pool lords of dogtown style but its just like they think its fun to make skaters miserable when they're outside your business.

[quote name='bx_racer' date='Jul 9 2005, 05:25 PM']... its fun to make skaters miserable when they're outside your business.
[right][snapback]637594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]pebbles on the sidewalk smell of elderberries :o

[quote name='jasJis' date='Jul 9 2005, 05:12 PM']pebbles on the sidewalk smell of elderberries  :o
[right][snapback]637618[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yeah. you're lucky to have lived in the seventies man. i mean i prefer todays tricks but it was so much simpler. i saw the dogtown movie and i was like man those guys are lucky. it was just a beatiful time for skating you know. you didnt have to break your skull open to good.

Edited by bx_racer