An Old School Catholic Message Board

Role Playing Games

scardella

What do you think of role playing games?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 6 2005, 09:23 PM']Have you played legend of the dragoon for PS1? i love that game!
[right][snapback]633856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is one of my favorite PS1 games :D

Don John of Austria

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jul 13 2005, 04:13 PM']It is one of my favorite PS1 games  :D
[right][snapback]642371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Begone all you computer gamers-- pen and paper games are what is being discussed here, you know those games which reuire the use of imagination istead of just vision and reflexes.

You can be a lot more creative in a pen and paper style RPG than a video/computer game. [i]Note: I'm just trying to show how it can be more flexible. I would think that in a pen and paper RPG, if your DM is any good, your characters' moral choices would make a huge difference in the way they are perceived by non-players and in the course of the ever-winding storyline.[/i]

For instance, if you're in combat, you can interact w/ the environment in ways that you just can't program in. If you're fighting in a narrow mountain pass, you can cast a spell that'll remove a boulder's support and crush your enemies (or yourself) rather than having to cast "magic missile" right at your enemy. However, then you might have to find a way over or around those boulders that just crushed your enemy. Then, if there are predators/scavengers in the area, they just might show up in response to the dead bodies.

In another instance, if you're trying to convince some guy to give you some item or other, you can do his quest, or you can try and steal it, or you can kidnap him, or try to buy him off, or hire a hitman, or try and weasel it out of him, or try and frame him, or ...

Don John of Austria

[quote name='scardella' date='Jul 14 2005, 09:07 AM']You can be a lot more creative in a pen and paper style RPG than a video/computer game.  [i]Note: I'm just trying to show how it can be more flexible.  I would think that in a  pen and paper RPG, if your DM is any good, your characters' moral choices would make a huge difference in the way they are perceived by non-players and in the course of the ever-winding storyline.[/i]

For instance, if you're in combat, you can interact w/ the environment in ways that you just can't program in.  If you're fighting in a narrow mountain pass, you can cast a spell that'll remove a boulder's support and crush your enemies (or yourself) rather than having to cast "magic missile" right at your enemy.  However, then you might have to find a way over or around those boulders that just crushed your enemy.  Then, if there are predators/scavengers in the area, they just might show up in response to the dead bodies.

In another instance, if you're trying to convince some guy to give you some item or other, you can do his quest, or you can try and steal it, or you can kidnap him, or try to buy him off, or hire a hitman, or try and weasel it out of him, or try and frame him, or ...
[right][snapback]642992[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup your absolutly right D&D can have all sorts of moral Choices in it, like since I cant take the guy who just surrended with me, as I can't trust him and he will slow us down, and of course every second the BBEG is coming closer to the fuition of his plan I can let him live and set him free on "Parole" or I can leave him here tied up and let what happens happen or I can just slit his throat and be done with it, ... of course there might be other options, I could say turn him into a rat and leave him that way, etc. Anything that can be done in real life plus a whole lot more, that is the nature of the game it is an unfolding story and the characters one plays make decisions, that is what makes them the Heros of the story, or perhaps the Villians, but it is a Game, I would remind everyone that Monoploly actually encourages lying... look at the Rules any deal not completed atthe moment between players is not binding... Illuminate actually encourages cheating and lying, those are the rules of the Game... it is a Game, lying in illuminate is no more wrong than bluffing in Poker or running a fake in football. Killing the prisoner in D&D is not morally wrong for the Player, but it will have Alignment affects on the Character( a not so subtle shift torwards Evil and Chaos-- seperate things in D&D ) and if someone is evil enough perhaps Heros will come after them, something that won't happen in a Video Game. Still It is a Game, a Game I will add that no one thinks is appropriate for young children and should have appropriate themes for the age which is playing them.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Tony' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:37 PM']RPG games are boring..
[right][snapback]644116[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Not with the right group!

And people are concerned that there is too much of a magical influence from the Harry Potter series?

This is much more dangerous.....I mean seriously, in an RPG, such as D&D, one can be a wizard, a god's honest wizard....one can cast spells and one can dress up as a wizard.....oh....this is all fantasy????

Silly me. A little scary don'tcha think?????? Not to mention realllly dorky.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Tony' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:37 PM']RPG games are boring.. Give me my sports games any day
[right][snapback]644116[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i was ranked 48 in madden 2005......havent played in like 2 months though........i am a vick abuser........but i run with my fav team now....detroit.
there recieving core is phenomenal in that game. And if you are about to play somebody who is gonna use the falcons.........detroit is the perfect counter to the falcons because of the speed of their secondary and defensive line........plus they force a lot of fumbles........perfect for using hit stick on vick when people scramble with him.

Edited by infinitelord1

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:03 AM']And people are concerned that there is too much of a magical influence from the Harry Potter series?

This is much more dangerous.....I mean seriously, in an RPG, such as D&D, one can be a wizard, a god's honest wizard....one can cast spells and one can dress up as a wizard.....oh....this is all fantasy????

Silly me.  A little scary don'tcha think??????  Not to mention realllly dorky.
[right][snapback]644176[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

umm... let's see... in D&D one does not "become" a wizard or "be" a wizard, one [b][i]pretends[/i][/b] to be a wizard. People dress up like Harry Potter all the time.

Are there God honest wizards? (Pssst... It's a trick question 'cause most real "wizards" believe there's more than one god and they probably are beholden to a "goddess" anyway...)

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:03 AM']And people are concerned that there is too much of a magical influence from the Harry Potter series?

Silly me.  A little scary don'tcha think??????  Not to mention realllly dorky.
[right][snapback]644176[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well I've never known anyone to dress up like a Wizard, excepting of course the LOTR opening. See I would agree with you if you had say 3 year olds being encouraged to play D&D you know like they are encouraged to play with Harry Potter toys and watch Harry Potter movies and the first thing shoved in there face when they expressed an intrest in reading at the Library was a D&D book, but it's not.( for the record I would oppose the D&D cartoon if it where on now as well, dispite the Fact that it was really really dumb) No while as you say D&D is dorky ( which is the world small minds usually use to adress those things that more intellectually gifted people enjoy.) Harry Potter is Cool, and while the spell in D&D is a series of mechanical variables from which a in game effect takes place, Harry Potter spells out the nature of neopagan Magic or should I say Magick. And of Course there is a very serious differance in that D&D is all about what you bring to the Game, it is active, it requires the imagination to create the story and to participate in it, Harry Potter ( or any book) brings with it it's own agenda on that is imputed into the Reader. Harry Potter's agenda is a neo-pagan one. Of course There is the biggest problem with your comparasion which is the one which I keep coming back to Harry potter is set in the Real world and is set in a Real time( now), and engages in Quasi-real witchcraft. D&D like LOTR ( which it was originally modeled after) normally takes place in a completly unreal place with alien gods and powers, it has no bearing on the real world.

Just as an aside I will show you what a "spell in D&D looks like.
[quote]Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.
The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.
For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.[/quote]

Real occult isn't it.

I think the differances have been well spelled out.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 14 2005, 10:46 PM']Yup your absolutly right D&D can have all sorts of moral Choices in it, ...
[right][snapback]644080[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The question really seems to boil down to something like:

[b]How do the moral choices I make in a game affect my moral character outside of the game?[/b]

In my experience, I've seen that after playing violent video games, I tend to act out a little more, or at least it facilitates more violent thought. I've read many a comment from a gamer where, after playing a first-person shooter, would look around and pick out sniper spots, etc. I've also heard from a friend that after a semester of particularly intense Photoshop work, she'd mentally rearrange the world around her, color correct it, etc. Is this sort of thing the same after playing RPG's? If your character was a priest of the god Oobleck and he could make green goop come from the sky, would that influence your spiritual life outside the game?

[i]You get a bonus +3 to hit if you can guess the Oobleck reference[/i]

Edited by scardella

infinitelord1

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:56 AM']Well I've never known anyone to dress up like a Wizard, excepting of course the LOTR opening.  See I would agree with you if you had say 3 year olds being encouraged to play D&D you know like they are encouraged to play with Harry Potter toys and watch Harry Potter movies and the first thing shoved in there face when they expressed an intrest in reading at the Library was a D&D book, but it's not.( for the record I would oppose the D&D cartoon  if it where on now as well, dispite the Fact that it was really really dumb)  No while as you say D&D is dorky ( which is the world small minds usually use to adress those things that more intellectually gifted people enjoy.) Harry Potter is Cool, and while the spell in D&D is a series of mechanical variables from which a in game effect takes place, Harry Potter spells out the nature of neopagan Magic or should I say Magick.  And of Course there is a very serious differance in that D&D is all about what you bring to the Game, it is active, it requires the imagination to create the story and to participate in it, Harry Potter ( or any book) brings with it it's own agenda on that is imputed into the Reader. Harry Potter's agenda is a neo-pagan one. Of course  There is the biggest problem  with your comparasion which is the one which I keep coming back to Harry potter is set in the Real world and is set in a Real time( now), and engages in Quasi-real witchcraft.  D&D  like LOTR ( which it was originally modeled after) normally takes place in a completly unreal place with alien gods and powers, it has no bearing on the real world.
Just as an aside I will show you what a "spell in D&D looks like.
Real occult isn't it.

I think the differances have been well spelled out.
[right][snapback]644266[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
is he talking about diablo II? Great game.

[quote name='scardella' date='Jul 15 2005, 09:03 AM']The question really seems to boil down to something like:

[b]How do the moral choices I make in a game affect my moral character outside of the game?[/b]

In my experience, I've seen that after playing violent video games, I tend to act out a little more, or at least it facilitates more violent thought.  I've read many a comment from a gamer where, after playing a first-person shooter, would look around and pick out sniper spots, etc.  I've also heard from a friend that after a semester of particularly intense Photoshop work, she'd mentally rearrange the world around her, color correct it, etc.  Is this sort of thing the same after playing RPG's?  If your character was a priest of the god Oobleck and he could make green goop come from the sky, would that influence your spiritual life outside the game?

[i]You get a bonus +3 to hit if you can guess the Oobleck reference[/i]
[right][snapback]644389[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
(Dr. Seuss of course.)

Your question seems apt. Unfortunately, many people simply guess whether there will be an effect, or extrapolate their own experience to other people. Reactions to "violent" games certainly vary with age. And some effects are subtle. Pen-and-paper RPGs are, I think, unlikely to cause complete-immersion problems, because it's hard to get a bunch of real people who can play all day, every day, for many days. This isn't too hard to do with a computer.

I know several stressed-out adult men who have, through the use of video games, gotten out aggression that might otherwise have been inflicted on real people. There are not many safe outlets for normal male agression in a peaceful society.

A few years ago, a study found that the average age of gamers was 38.