An Old School Catholic Message Board

requiring church attendance

dairygirl4u2c

Should Sunday church attendence every week be required by law?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:wacko:

Cam, it is clear by context that dairy was asking a question about civil law, apparent from her other posts about gay marriage et cetera... she's probing into how far the state's authority to impose things goes. She's not Catholic and is not asking if Catholics should be required to go to Mass, but if everyone should be required to go to Mass.

you're turning this into like... sport-rhetoric... taking the first post as the resolution, then manipulating it so that you win. while that's always fun, this isn't a formal debate and the first post is not a resolution. it is an informal question and it is clear to most everyone what dairy was asking.

you've made your point, Catholics are required by canon law to attend mass every sunday. now as this is the interfaith dialogue center let's expand the discussion to what dairy intended.

sheesh... I know we're Roman and all... but Cam's a little bit too roman even for me here! ;)

[quote]Cam's a little bit too roman even for me here! [/quote]

And that is a compliment. Thank you. Is there any other way to be?

Guest JeffCR07

so [i]is[/i] there anyone who thinks that mandatory Mass attendence should be legislated by the civil government?

I'd be interested to hear arguments for such a thing, even if I don't agree.

Semperviva

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jul 6 2005, 06:30 AM']so [i]is[/i] there anyone who thinks that mandatory Mass attendence should be legislated by the civil government?

[right][snapback]632995[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that idea is not in line with catholic social teaching, free will or vatican 2, lol..so nobody should think that :D ... hey but argue away if u will...lol

Edited by Semperviva

Semperviva

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jul 5 2005, 11:47 AM']Yep, I would say most material heresy comes from improper phrasing. But in this case, nothing I said even comes close to material heresy.  ;)
[right][snapback]632187[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
never called [i]you[/i] one..just said yer on yer way there...haha.. :D

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jul 5 2005, 04:06 PM']Where in the heck does dairy say anything about civil law v. canon law.  She asked if it should be required by law.

IT IS....Yes, I am a smart guy....and with that being the case, the differentiation is important.

The only person who has dismissed canon law in this thread so far is you, Jeff.
That is your implication.

Incidentally, I am not the one who started nit-picking this thread, that would be you.  So, don't ask if I have issues with you, you should look in the mirror.  Reread the thread.
[right][snapback]632425[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, I was the one who started nit-picking. :)

The way it was asked, it would seem to imply civil law. However, we haven't gotten any clarification from dairygirl.

I think for most people on this board, it's clear that canon law requires it.
What isn't certain is if it should be part of civil law, or if it is a requirement of religion "per se".

Guest JeffCR07

[quote]that idea is not in line with catholic social teaching, free will or vatican 2, lol..so nobody should think that  ... hey but argue away if u will...lol[/quote]

lol, well I'm certainly not going to argue it, im just saying it would be fun if someone did.

[quote]never called you one..just said yer on yer way there...haha..  :D [/quote]

never! :P

I believe the church law should be abided to above a nation's law, thus it should be law to go to church.

Semperviva

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jul 6 2005, 02:08 PM']I believe the church law should be abided to above a nation's law, thus it should be law to go to church.
[right][snapback]633448[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
...vatican 2 rox...i ferget the doc. but one does say.....that's explicetly against human dignity...man is made with free will to choose the good freely for its own sake.......... not because its a law

Semperviva

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jul 6 2005, 01:49 PM']lol, well I'm certainly not going to argue it, im just saying it would be fun if someone did.
[right][snapback]633425[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
..haha-just so u can prove yer right? jk

well, one things for sure, you break the law, either God's or the gov't, you'll pay the consequence soon enough.

(well, okay, our justice system can be debated with [i]these [/i]U.S. courts....)

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 6 2005, 02:04 PM']...vatican 2 rox...i ferget the doc. but one does say.....that's explicetly against human dignity...man is made with free will to choose the good freely for its own sake.......... not because its a law
[right][snapback]633569[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This statement is problematic because a man could use it in order to argue that Catholics have a "right" to dissent from Church teaching or to disregard Church law.

Free will does not give a man the right to do whatever he wants; rather, it empowers him to do what he ought.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jul 7 2005, 03:44 AM']Free will does not give a man the right to do whatever he wants; rather, it empowers him to do what he ought.
[right][snapback]634105[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly right.

• 2 months later...

The original question does not even specify a religion. So the question could refer to a law that requires one to attend a church service of some sort, much like a law once on the books in the commonwealth of Virginia.

I have no real problem with such laws in themselves. I do think they are imprudent from the standpoint of enforcement and the state is in no way shape or form obliged to have such a law. Very few Catholic states had such laws and those that did only did so briefly following the protestant revolution.