An Old School Catholic Message Board

Other religions besides Catholicism

avemaria40

What do u all think about other religions?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nope...my grandma was a Methodist at Longstreet Methodist Church in Memphis, TN and brother John makes great coffee.

son_of_angels

I believe that Catholicism is the only "way" to heaven. Following any other "way" that contradicts the Catholic faith will lead one straight to hell, but being the exception, well, we leave that to the mercy of God. Ergo, walking the Muslim Way over the Way of the Cross will always lead one away from God, but some who are the exception to that blasphemy will yet enter the kingdom of heaven.

If you imagine getting to heaven as like crossing an ocean, than Catholicism is the fastest way. It'd be like taking a jet plane across. While other ways are longer, more difficult, and very treacherous, eventually if given enough time and grace people can make it across. as Aquinas (maybe Augustine) once said, "Every person has a God-shaped hole in their heart and nothing else can fill it."

infinitelord1

haha.........i am usually conservative in my beliefs.......but man o man..........those who voted that catholicism is the only way to heaven......that is the craziest thing i have ever seen as far as religious beliefs go.........salvation through jesus christ is the only way to heaven.......some interpret it differently..........but all in all they recognize salvation through jesus christ is the only way to make it to heaven too just like catholics. One can say that it is a sin to believe that salvation is different then the catholic interpretation but i dont know if they would go to hell for that. I dont think it is a mortal sin since they dont realize.

cmotherofpirl

The fullness of faith is found in the Catholic Church, since it was founded by Jesus Christ. He only founded ONE church. So when we say
Catholicism is the only way to heaven, it is because Jesus Christ is the way to the Father, and He is in the Church.
Think of it this way, other groups have bits and pieces of the map to heaven, but we have the whole map with the directions intact.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 6 2005, 03:36 AM']haha.........i am usually conservative in my beliefs.......but man o man..........those who voted that catholicism is the only way to heaven......that is the craziest thing i have ever seen as far as religious beliefs go.........salvation through jesus christ is the only way to heaven.......some interpret it differently..........but all in all they recognize salvation through jesus christ is the only way to make it to heaven too just like catholics. One can say that it is a sin to believe that salvation is different then the catholic interpretation but i dont know if they would go to hell for that. I dont think it is a mortal sin since they dont realize.
[right][snapback]632949[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

zabbazooey

I have been to many a church of many a denomination in my short life, and never have I felt so at home except within a Roman Catholic church. There is no comparison.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:34 PM']Nope...my grandma was a Methodist at Longstreet Methodist Church in Memphis, TN and brother John makes great coffee.
[right][snapback]627924[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
one of the methodist churches here in town makes great coffee too. i dont know who makes but whoever it is... theyre good!

NewReformation

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:47 PM']And the Methodists have the best coffee....
[right][snapback]627881[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ja? Well, Mennonites have the best carry-in meals!

avemaria40

Anglicans have pretty good cookies:) my friend's Anglican church has cofee hour and they have pretty good pastries let me tell u :D

infinitelord1

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 6 2005, 08:39 AM']The fullness of faith is found in the Catholic Church, since it was founded by Jesus Christ. He only founded ONE church. So when we say
Catholicism is the only way to heaven, it is because Jesus Christ is the way to the Father, and He is in the Church.
Think of it this way, other groups have bits and pieces of the map to heaven, but we have the whole map with the directions intact.
[right][snapback]633038[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So a child molesting catholic has more chance to make it to heaven the a violent church going southern baptist? Oh, and not to mention.......to be catholic you have to be perfect..........there is nobody in this world that is perfect.

Hey-- no one said to be Catholic you have to be perfect! Sheesh, we are only perfected through Jesus' Body and Blood! We are sinners in the hands of a Living God who came and died because of our imperfection and sin!

As for comparing 'Catholics with this sin and 'Baptists' with that sin or whatever, that is seeing through the eyes of man, not the eyes of God. It is not up to US to judge who goes where---just like my three teenage children, who IMMEDIATELY want to know the MINIMUM they can do to get their allowance, and are QUICK to point out what their siblings ARE LACKING to receive theirs! WE are the parents, and WE decide each of them individually. BUT--unlike fallible earthly parents, GOD gave us HIS CHURCH to be our guide.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 8 2005, 05:37 PM']So a child molesting catholic has more chance to make it to heaven the a violent church going southern baptist? Oh, and not to mention.......to be catholic you have to be perfect..........there is nobody in this world that is perfect.
[right][snapback]636392[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

God sets the rules and applies the consequences for breaking them not us. I am catholic and I am sure NOT perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

I have studied religion for most of my adult life -Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, and the aboriginal religions of Australia. They all have something interesting to say, and the histories of all have dark moments and brilliant moments. I'm not voting for any particular one, I'm just commenting on my interest in the study of religion and how fascinating it has been. :yahoo:

Anastasia13

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jun 26 2005, 06:05 PM']Hey, i just wanted 2 know wat u guyz and gurlz think about other religions. U c, i converted 2 Catholicism and was raised in a liberal household, and i believe that all religions have some of the truth but Catholicism has all of it.  Im new 2 the site so i wanted 2 know pple's opinions
[right][snapback]624766[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]Well, as a Protestant, I'm not going to say something about us missing part of the truth and I have some disagreements with Catholicism. It's not just a certain church of whatever kind except Christian because people need other Christians to encourage them and help them grow and that can help them stay in the faith that saves people, but Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. He is the only way to have salvation, or forgiveness, or hope for the life to come. [i]NAB John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.[/i] Outside of Christianity and including cults that take it and twist it, there may be some truth, but they don't have the truth that will save them.

Anything that does not acknowledge who Christ is is wrong and harmful. Other religions deceive people and that Satan manipulates those deceptions to hurt people and steal people away from God because people have choice and sometimes don’t recognize the lie. Some religions that do that are more used to to oppose God than others, but without the truth, people will go to hell and that will be very sad. It harms them and sometimes they take others with them. :( Without the truth of who Jesus Christ is and the salvation found through Him, people will stand before God one day without justification, defense, cause for forgiveness as we all need, or hope.

A non-Christian once said metaphorically on another board that all roads will lead you up the mountain. He was right, all will lead you up the mountain. Thing is, only one way will lead someone across the mountain to the lush valley on the other side rather than leaving him stranded at the icy pinnicle of the mountain.

Edited by Light and Truth