An Old School Catholic Message Board

Other religions besides Catholicism

avemaria40

What do u all think about other religions?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, i just wanted 2 know wat u guyz and gurlz think about other religions. U c, i converted 2 Catholicism and was raised in a liberal household, and i believe that all religions have some of the truth but Catholicism has all of it. Im new 2 the site so i wanted 2 know pple's opinions

Brother Adam

The second option with a qualification. There may be some who are not members of the visible Catholic Church in good standing, but would be if they knew the truth about it, who may go to heaven.

I'd go with 1 and 2 both if I could.

I think other religions have some profound insights, but the Catholic Church has the means of salvation.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

the catholic church is the veichile of salvation for all people. but people who are not catholic are in grave danger of hell its all in dominus Iesus.

i null voted cause my vote is in between 1 an 2. the Church is the #1 way to get to heaven, an if u turn away from it knowing what it is and what it stands for, you deny urself salvation. the thing is that technically u dont need to be catholic to go to heaven. when ppl are in a state of invincible ignorance (they were never introduced to catholicism as they wenrt through life), and still live according to the natural law, they can get to heaven.

Guest Eremite

[quote]The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these [non-Catholic] religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself.

---Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, "Nostra Aetate", #2

[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_council...-aetate_en.html[/url][/quote]

Keharitomeni Theotokos

If religious truth is a circle then all religions have a certain degree of truth. The Catholic Church has the fullness of truth. This is the only religion that completes the circle.

[quote name='CCC 846']How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.[/quote]

[quote name='CCC 847']This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.[/quote]

[quote name='CCC 848']"Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."[/quote]

[quote name='CCC 849']The missionary mandate. "Having been divinely sent to the nations that she might be 'the universal sacrament of salvation,' the Church, in obedience to the command of her founder and because it is demanded by her own essential universality, strives to preach the Gospel to all men": "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and Lo, I am with you always, until the close of the age."[/quote]

That just about sums it up.

The one Church of Christ subsists in the Catholic Church alone (See [u]Lumen Gentium[/u], no. 8; [u]Unitatis Redintegratio[/u], no. 4), and so it is the only means for achieving salvation. But there are seeds of the word ([i]semina verbi[/i]) in the various cultures of the world, and these seeds of truth are a preparation for the Gospel, and as such they are meant to help all men in their search for the truth.

That being said, those who are struggling under invincible ignorance of the necessity of membership in the Catholic Church will not be damned simply because, through no fault of their own, they are ignorant of this truth (See [u]Quanto Conficiamur Moerore[/u], no. 7). Moreover, if they cooperate with the various graces given to them by God, which always come to them from Christ the Lord through His Church, they may be saved.

Click on the link below for more information on this topic:

[url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000806_dominus-iesus_en.html"]CDF Declaration Dominus Iesus[/url]

Its some kindof baptism (desire, blood, etc) that gived them entrance into the CAtholic Church. What exactly constitutes the [i]Baptism of Desire?[/i] it seems one may have received it without knowledge that this state of soul has occured

Guest Eremite

[quote]What exactly constitutes the Baptism of Desire? it seems one may have received it without knowledge that this state of soul has occured [/quote]

The Holy Office under Pope Pius XII taught just that in its response to Father Feeney:

[quote]The same in its own degree must be asserted of the Church, in as far as she is the general help to salvation. Therefore, that one may obtain eternal salvation, it is not always required that he be incorporated into the Church actually as a member, but it is necessary that at least he be united to her by desire and longing.

However, this desire need not always be explicit, as it is in catechumens; but when a person is involved in invincible ignorance God accepts also an implicit desire, so called because it is included in that good disposition of soul whereby a person wishes his will to be conformed to the will of God.

These things are clearly taught in that dogmatic letter which was issued by the Sovereign Pontiff, Pope Pius XII, on June 29, 1943, <On the Mystical Body of Jesus Christ> (AAS, Vol. 35, an. 1943, p. 193 ff.). For in this letter the Sovereign Pontiff clearly distinguishes between those who are actually incorporated into the Church as members, and those who are united to the Church only by desire.

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFFEENY.HTM"]http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFFEENY.HTM[/url][/quote]

This is what I know:
- You do not know the heart of anyone (except yourself?), unless God reveals it to you.
- Salvation occurs through the Catholic Church, whether implicitly or explicitly.
- Other religions possess varying degrees of Truth.
- You cannot remain neutral, in the end.
- God is merciful.

Speculation:
- if anyone who's been truly evangelized (baptized or not) freely and explicitly rejects Christianity with full understanding, I'd speculate that they've made their decision.
- if someone has not been truly evangelized or were not in a condition to make such a decision (eg children), then they'd get some sort of pre-death, at-death, or at-judgement sort of chance to make a free and binding decision
- this seems to explain Baptism of desire and Baptism by blood

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:29 PM']Here's what I know

Presbyterians have the best doughnuts!!
[right][snapback]627825[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And the Methodists have the best coffee....

[quote name='Cam42' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:47 PM']And the Methodists have the best coffee....
[right][snapback]627881[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i sincerely hope that was a sarcastic remark.