An Old School Catholic Message Board

Please, Define Sex

Semperviva

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:15 AM']Cam, you know very well that this is not what I was saying.

I apologize for reading too much into your post, and I pray you will not make my mistake concerning my own posts.

Edit: because I spelled "too" incorrectly  :D
[right][snapback]627189[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Accepted.....

• 3 weeks later...

OK
i remembered that this thread went into a NFP discussion..and i was thinking the other day...
:unsure: what NFP does,
although i realize the reasoning behind why it is approved by the church, it seems to have an aspect of disordered ness to it, to me.
just in this, that God designs the man and woman's body so that they [b]will[/b] have sex [i]WHEN[/i] the woman[i] is [/i]fertile, just because thats [i]when they are designed to want it[/i] most, so that a baby will actually be concieved...it just seems wrong for some reason...like only have sex when you least want to? i mean i am [i]perfectly OK [/i]with the whole [color=red]sacrificing[/color] for your spouse and of course thats not what i have trouble with...its more that NFP seems contrary to God's design for sex... :mellow:

Edited by Semperviva

it's certainly not preferred and should not be done without a very good and legitimate reason. but the actual action of sex is not altared by doing NFP and as such it isn't contrary to God's design for sex. it can be misused though.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Semperviva' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:18 AM']OK
i remembered that this thread went into a NFP discussion..and i was thinking the other day...
:unsure: what NFP does,
although i realize the reasoning behind why it is approved by the church, it seems to have an aspect of disordered ness to it, to me.
just in this, that God designs the man and woman's body so that they [b]will[/b] have sex [i]WHEN[/i] the woman[i] is [/i]fertile, just because thats [i]when they are designed to want it[/i] most, so that a baby will actually be concieved...it just seems wrong for some reason...like only have sex when you least want to?  i mean i am [i]perfectly OK [/i]with the whole [color=red]sacrificing[/color] for your spouse and of course thats not what i have trouble with...its more that NFP seems contrary to God's design for sex... :mellow:
[right][snapback]652204[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We aren't slaves to our drives, and that is not God's plan. If there is truth to the idea that the fertile period is a time of greater sexual desire, that just means that the sacrifice of abstinence, for the good of the family, is that much more meritorious. It could hardly be called a sacrifice to abstain only when you don't feel like doing it to begin with. And remember that periodic abstinence is biblical.